upcoming changes to OGL

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

upcoming changes to OGL

Post by CapnZapp »

Shouldn't Goodman Games and its fans be discussing this as well?

Dungeons & Dragons’ New License Tightens Its Grip on Competition
https://gizmodo.com/dnd-wizards-of-the- ... 1849950634
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Re: upcoming changes to OGL

Post by BanjoJohn »

yes, kinda?
garloo
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Hairy Tarantula

Post by garloo »

I don't see a way out of this unless WOTC releases 1.1 and it is identical to 1.0a but adds the word "irrevocable". Now that they've shown that they believe they can take away the OGL at any time, there's just way too much uncertainty and risk involved for small publishers to continue publishing under the old OGL at all. I can't imagine what Goodman and publishers like him are going through now, looking at destroying stock vs bank account-draining lawsuits. It's just so sad. This move by WOTC is incredibly damaging to the TTRPG hobby itself, as it is likely to demoralize and drive away many of the most creative people in our community.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Doubtless there are internal discussions withing the company -- we just haven't heard the outcome of those discussions yet.

As for us discussing it, well, here we are.

My understanding has been that the design of the original OGL was that it existed and couldn't 'un-exist' -- but I'm not a lawyer by any means and can't say one way or the other how solid that is/was...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

I have been out of gaming for some time. All of a sudden the D&D movie is coming out and the internet keeps screaming at me that it is dead. Then I investigate a bit and it’s all about the OGL and how they are killing small publishers by changing it. I’m not sure what is going on but if even half the things that I’ve heard are true… WTF!!!
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
darjr
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by darjr »

They released the SRD 5.1 into creative commons and backed off changing the OGL which is all good. But it looks like a lot of creators are leaving the OGL for other licenses. A few rival D&D 5e games are in the works and publishers like Goodman Games, Chaosium, and Paizo have had record sales, often running out at distribution.

Chaos.

Return to “Goodman Games General”