Relearning a Spell

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ElectricPaladin
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Games of Berkeley

Relearning a Spell

Post by ElectricPaladin »

My first post will be a silly question, awesome? I'll introduce myself later, when I'm not posting by phone.

Would you allow a player to attempt to "relearn" a spell hoping for a better Mercurial Magic result, provided they did the in-game work of finding a tutor, a scroll, a captured spellbook, or downtime in the magic lab or something like that?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Relearning a Spell

Post by GnomeBoy »

Two Magic Missile spells with different Mercurial effects are essentially two different spells.

So yeah, you can "relearn" a spell already known. Conventional wisdom is that you can replace the one with the other, so you don't have your limited roster filled with the same base spell...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ElectricPaladin wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:34 pm My first post will be a silly question, awesome? I'll introduce myself later, when I'm not posting by phone.

Would you allow a player to attempt to "relearn" a spell hoping for a better Mercurial Magic result, provided they did the in-game work of finding a tutor, a scroll, a captured spellbook, or downtime in the magic lab or something like that?
Quest For It is the beating heart of his game.

Yes, I would definitely allow it.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ElectricPaladin
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Games of Berkeley

Post by ElectricPaladin »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:47 am
ElectricPaladin wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:34 pm My first post will be a silly question, awesome? I'll introduce myself later, when I'm not posting by phone.

Quest For It is the beating heart of his game.

Yes, I would definitely allow it.
I am a big fan of Quest For It. It's been a while since I ran a game that wasn't one on one for my wife, and that's the only way to run one on one games. It's really great to see it codified here, plus lots of support for making it happen. Really, this is a really well done rulebook.
MarcoAmara
Gongfarmer

Post by MarcoAmara »

Welcome, Yes i would allow them to learn a spell.

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”