Weapon Damage and Deed Die - Help Reading a Pregen Sheet

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

burrahobbit
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Chicagoland Games Dice Dojo

Weapon Damage and Deed Die - Help Reading a Pregen Sheet

Post by burrahobbit »

Just starting to find my way around the game and have a question about one aspect of a 2nd-level Warrior pregen I'm looking to use ("Fireball" from "The Doom That Came to Christmas Town"). The main sheet has Melee attack d4+1 (which I understand to mean I'm rolling the d4+1 to determine attack bonus to the d20 with every attack) and Melee damage d4+1 (I'm assuming that's the default "unarmed" attack? I know this may be a special case because it is a reindeer...).

But under weapons, I read as follows:

Antlers
atk d4+1 (dmg 1d8+1=deed)

Is this just repeating that the attack roll is d20+d4+1 and stating that the damage is 1d8+1? What does the "=deed?" mean? Is this just a typo for "+" and reminding me to add the result of the deed die if I'm, as expected, rolling it every attack?

The 2nd-level dwarf pregen in the same adventure has, for example:
Handaxe
atk + *d4 (dmg 1d6+deed)

In this case, I understand the damage to be 1d6+the result of the Deed die, although I'm not sure what the "*" in *d4 stands for.

Thanks for any help!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Weapon Damage and Deed Die - Help Reading a Pregen Sheet

Post by GnomeBoy »

I strongly suspect the "=" is a typo, as you say. And the asterisk is maybe a typo, but it's repeated for two weapons and on the shield and AC, as well... makes me wonder if there was some element of the character which was edited out, but the asterisks remain...

Yep -- mentioning the Deed in the damage is just to remind folks that whatever the Deed Die came up with the attack roll is also added to damage.

The +1 in the attack and the damage is from Strength.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
burrahobbit
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Chicagoland Games Dice Dojo

Post by burrahobbit »

Thanks! That all makes sense then - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

burrahobbit wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:39 pm The main sheet has Melee attack d4+1 (which I understand to mean I'm rolling the d4+1 to determine attack bonus to the d20 with every attack) and Melee damage d4+1 (I'm assuming that's the default "unarmed" attack? I know this may be a special case because it is a reindeer...).

But under weapons, I read as follows:

Antlers
atk d4+1 (dmg 1d8+1=deed)

Is this just repeating that the attack roll is d20+d4+1 and stating that the damage is 1d8+1? What does the "=deed?" mean? Is this just a typo for "+" and reminding me to add the result of the deed die if I'm, as expected, rolling it every attack?

The 2nd-level dwarf pregen in the same adventure has, for example:
Handaxe
atk + *d4 (dmg 1d6+deed)

In this case, I understand the damage to be 1d6+the result of the Deed die, although I'm not sure what the "*" in *d4 stands for.

Thanks for any help!
As you have figured out d4 is not the default unarmed damage. Unarmed characters inflict subdual damage of 1d3 + Strength modifier.

What the d4+1 refers to here seems unclear since Fireball would be "armed" with his antlers, dealing damage equivalent to a human wielding a longsword.

Maybe you can explain the greater "unarmed" damage as a reindeer doing more damage with its hooves (or bite?)...? Making those (non-antlery) attacks equivalent to a human with a dagger doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”