Recommendations for 1-2 Level Modules

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Warlocksley
Ill-Fated Peasant

Recommendations for 1-2 Level Modules

Post by Warlocksley »

I've just picked up DCC and intend to run the Portal under the Stars for my sons and then hopefully my gaming group, but wondered what would be a good module or two to pick up after that?

I've seen Doom of the Savage Kings mentioned a few times but can't seem to find a print copy over here in the UK. I can manage with a PDF but would prefer print...

I appreciate this question probably get asked at lot, but was just hoping to start a conversation and get a few pointers...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Recommendations for 1-2 Level Modules

Post by GnomeBoy »

If you prefer to work from print copies, what's currently available to you? Maybe we could recommend from there...

That said, you can't really go wrong by picking something that appeals to you and doing that. The adventures are designed to stand as alone as needed, though many provide one or more hooks to further adventures of your own devising or modification.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Post by Father Goose »

I second GnomeBoy here. Knowing what is available to you will make the selection process much faster than listing off modules that may or may not be available.
Warlocksley
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Warlocksley »

Thanks guys, I guess my question was kind of vague... I've done a bit more digging in the forums since and a bit more searching around and I have found a few print options to choose from now, even the aforementioned Doom of the Savage Kings after all, as well as Sailors on the Starless Sea and Dragora's Dungeon - although the general consensus seems that last one is quite unforgiving... I'll do a bit more research on these and see what appeals the most...

I also saw my FLGS had a copy of The Chained Coffin that looks cool and is levels 1-5, which I didn't realise. I would have picked it up there and then but it was shrink wrapped and I wanted to find out what it was about first...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

The Chained Coffin consistently gets good marks. But it is different, in that it is a fantasy version of "The Appalachians"/rural early-20th Century America and thus not typical 'pseudo-Euro' fantasy, a la Tolkien. Good stuff if you want to dive into a different vibe for your game...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Warlocksley
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Warlocksley »

Sounds interesting... perhaps not what I'm after at the moment though...

I have just seen the article about the Tome of Adventure V.1 that's incoming... looks like that could solve all my problems - it contains most of the modules I've been looking at and then some! :D
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

Warlocksley wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:42 am I've just picked up DCC and intend to run the Portal under the Stars for my sons and then hopefully my gaming group, but wondered what would be a good module or two to pick up after that?

I've seen Doom of the Savage Kings mentioned a few times but can't seem to find a print copy over here in the UK. I can manage with a PDF but would prefer print...

I appreciate this question probably get asked at lot, but was just hoping to start a conversation and get a few pointers...
For lower-level modules, Sailors on the Starless Sea, The Emerald Enchanter, The Tower out of Time, The Quarrymen from Zorathan City State, and some of Mark Tasaka's Greenleaf adventures have been favorites here: https://tasaka-games.com/greenleaf/

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”