What DCC for a pirate/nautical campaign?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Re: What DCC for a pirate/nautical campaign?

Post by losloris »

We play on Saturday and I wanted a tip on two things. Both are on level 5 of the Smugglers Cove. Room 5-2 has the green slime that does 1-3 points of constitution damage. How long does this last.

Room 5-8 has the sunken ziggurat. The description set up says; there are a bunch of fish men atop the ziggurat with a leader who gives the word, the guards take aim and fire at the party. Thing is, the party accesses this room underwater. There is no reason for the party to surface. This fact kind of makes the set up superfluous, no?

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Re: What DCC for a pirate/nautical campaign?

Post by losloris »

We had a great session and it is super how there is a balance between hack & sack, puzzles and politics. But that is not what this forum is for. I did not like the Deadly for how it finished off with Tritonecil and so adopted the Secret Smugglers' Cover. I am a big fan of how this module breaks out and the many challenges it offers.

The party approached by sea and (as noted below) Olhydra is a big part of our story line. The party saw a huge statue of Olhydra with (basically) two feet, one each on a little spit of land. Where the foot touched there were hidden doors. One side lead to SSCs level 4, the other to level 5.

In this last session the party tackled level 5. I included a cave section not long after the entry, one that included the frogs from the Croaking Fane because (A) I like them, and, (B) we have been to CF. This messed the party up to have a clear recurrence like that. The traps provided in the module worked well. For the sunken ziggurat I had the party approach to see what were steps rising out of the water into a lit room. This messed them up as their strategy was focused on underwater, and, was a nice inclusion in the module.

After wiping out the major parts of the floor the party returned to their boat to discover the statue of Olhydra had become alive. We have activated four of five temples that will provide a constant cover against Olhydra and so this was anticipated by the party - thinking the statue or something would show up. It did and was a fantastic battle royale, and, a great way to burn off some of the party's loot. As it is, the party was so intent on the situation they forgot entirely to look for more loot.

Great fun and highly recommend this module as is, et alone modifying it to meet your needs.

This adventure is now on break to January

Losloris

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”