Confusing Treasure...at least for me

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

welland_warrior
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Confusing Treasure...at least for me

Post by welland_warrior »

Hi there,

I'm an 1e/2e player from back in the day.

I'm new to both 3.5 and DCCs.

Having said that, I have been scanning the DCCs and am a little confused by some of the treasures. Can you help get me oriented a little bit? Here are a few examples: 2 specific and one general.

1. In DCC #0 what the heck is "Oil of Align Weapon" on page 22?
2. In DCC #35a what are the maginal properties of a "Dagger of Piercing +1" on page 20?
3. What exactly are the properties of cold iron weapons?

Thanks! :)
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

I can field the two of those that refer to general rules questions.

Potions and oils all work the same...they grant a spell benefit to a person or thing (an oil is just a potion you put on something instead of drinking). Take the ever-popular potion of cure light wounds...all it really does is cast cure light wounds on the imbiber.
Oil of align weapon works just like the spell of the same name, and if there's no alignment predetermined then the user gets to pick it. You anoint a particular weapon with it, pick an alignment, and BAM! you're in the overcoming-DR business.

Cold iron weapons are expensive to create, and they have no inherent qualities BUT they often overcome the damage reduction of some creatures, like fey and some devils (or is it demons?).
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
welland_warrior
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by welland_warrior »

Ah, ok, Align Weapon wasn't a spell I was familiar with so that explains that one.

By DR you mean damage resistance right?

Thanks!
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Yup...the #1 reason to bother aligning a weapon is to overcome someone's DR (or damage resistance).
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
enty
Ill-Fated Peasant

Re: Confusing Treasure...at least for me

Post by enty »

I've also got a question on the dagger of piercing:

Do you think this should only be effective versus armor, or do you think it would also work against other things, like shackles or doors?

Here's the description from Halls of the Minotaur:

"The stiletto is a +1 dagger of piercing. The powerful relic disregards nonmagical armor bonuses, sliding through armor as if it were cloth."

My initial impression was that the ... "logic of enchantment"... and sentence structure/diction indicates the weapon's intended aim is for use against armor - because it would also have this effect against wood/leather. Otherwise, it would, in effect, act like... a lightsaber.

Which seems kinda like a game-breaking power.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

You could specify (for yourself) that it only goes through X amount of thickness as if it were cloth.

I mean armor is relatively thin (2-3mm?), compared to some shackles I've seen, which could be like 1/4 inch thick or more.

It could also just strictly affect armor, since that was the enchantment's aim.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
enty
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by enty »

Thank you for the ideas, GB - I appreciate the reply :)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Anytime. :D
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”