The Mysterious Tower (Spoilers)

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Chairman7w
Ill-Fated Peasant

The Mysterious Tower (Spoilers)

Post by Chairman7w »

Just finished "The Mysterious Tower" and it rocked!

What a great little adventure!

Very deadly and dangerous traps, and tough line-up of bad guys. We got lucky with the end boss, both in intiative and overall rolling so he was a bit of a push-over, but I don't fault the adventure for that.

We loved it! Thanks Goodman Games!
Drone
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Drone »

My players managed to take out the end boss with a dismissal spell. Argh, now I have that huge spellbook to deal with.
But I'm sending them through Aerie of the Crow God next. I have a few additions to the Star Arms for them. MWA-HA-HA-HA! :twisted:
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Luck is probability taken personally.
Losloris8
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Ted's Hobby Shop

Re: The Mysterious Tower (Spoilers)

Post by Losloris8 »

Yup, really liked this one. Twas used four adventures ago. Really liked the puzzle/traps, as did the players. It was a pleasent change from daling with mostly monsters

LG
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Post by losloris »

Funny thing about that.

I tossed this adventure in as we were pursuing the Egg of the Phoenix, embellishing on the existing map of EofP and placing this tower off to the eastern side of things. The party went through it, we had a delightful time in dealing with the traps, particularly the acid spewing passage. Also, I had read a campaign log that involved a PC being followed by an imp kind of guy, which I decided to try when we got to the quasit. All well done (though the quasit part did not last long as it did not blend well with that player).

We got to the last room. I made it a genie, mostly because that is what I am comfortable with, and, I wish I could remember his name. He was the most spectacular of hosts, enjoying the fact that he had visitors. "Oh, what are those" he said referring to the pile of really neat looking magic stuff? "Well, I am here to guard this loot for 100 years, only 6 more to go. Please, come, have some coffee and cookies. Look all you want but do not touch."

He was put to the sword and all of the loot pocketed without further regard.

Since then I have been wondering how to have the party pay a price for these actions, the killing of a most excellent host. I seem to recall that Dante had a pope who had killed a host sitting very near to the ice bound devil.

Currently, Embla is stuck in a trapped carpet of flying from the Mudd Sorcerer's Temple. I think this will come to the fore as the party returns from the Vault of the Dragon Kings, as they will need much divine intervention. They are currently nearing the maw for section 3 that starts with a ray which reduces your level.

hmm

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

I wont bore you with particulars, unless you so wish, but could use your help.

It took some time and testing out several ideas (Rhiannon is a superb sounding board) to come up with something. The party does have a big cloud about it for the killing of Florian (the name finally came to me) the genie who was the nicest host possible that the party killed in the Mysterious Tower. At the end of what we are doing now (DCC 30) the party will return to Doc's Island city and need help from high power clerics to (at least) get Embla out of the carpet, and, restore players who will be nailed with the level reduction ray at the start of section 3 for the VotDK.

At that point, the clerics will notice this cloud, bring this to the attention of the Council of Elders, who will say to the party that they, the party, need to be 'cured'. The cure requires some hard to get items, such as a dragon scale; think eye of newt and such.

I want the party to have to find 3 things; one of which they have, one of which can be given to them by a benefactor; the last of which they have to go and hunt down. The hunt down item is what I am looking for. The egg of a tyrannosaurs, a strand from the web of Lloth (okay, maybe not that extreme). I am looking for some thing like that I can send the party after. Now, thinking through the many DCCs I have, which is most up to about #50, would there be something in one of those modules that could be used? Fear not in my abilities at adapting any module to my needs.

Ideally thinking, I would like the ingredient needed to be somehow relevant to genies; air, flight, a lmap.

Any suggestions?

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

See, I'm thinking something like, get teeth from a witch. Witches fly, so there is that connection. And, this would connect well with War of the Witch Queen, DCC 17.5.

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

The party is back from Grunards to rest up in Taam's Tower. This will give them a chance to consider the information they had found, such as the activation of one of five towers to create a massive dome of protein toon vs Olbydra.. It is interesting to note that they understand there are five towers, and, Tamm's Tower is one of them, that there must be something to activate here. The party has not actually considered that.

To that end I will insert a note saying that a secret portal has been found at TT.

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

Here is my latest thinking on this matter.

The party will (hopefully/eventually) realise that Taam's Tower, our new home base, is really one of the five towers mentioned in the ancient texts and therefore must have some kind of functioning device that needs to be activate. A thorough search will uncover a hidden passage; perhaps, the dwarves currently on hire to affect repairs to the Mysterious Tower will note the rocks on level 2 are newer then ones around, the result of a cave in, which will lead to uncovering a lost tunnel that leads to the device. The device will be found but, unlike at Grunard's Head, there will be no five weapons available. Further reading through Taam's library will uncover his journal, in which will be word of how 135 years ago the appropriate weapon was stolen, subsequent to which a cult of Veluna sprung up in the not too distant town of Buckow.

Buckow, a town of my own creation, will actually be the home for the town used in Blades Against Death, where a magical item shows up once every now and again if the stars line up.

The party's objective would be then to get to Buckow, infiltrate the temple and steal the magic item that appears. They would then try to leave with this item and realise that it is only tactile material while in the temple. The search would then be on to find out how they can remove the whispiness (thinking here about how B A D is directed with freeing someone from death) which will take them down into the gutters. This is much along the lines of the items that appeared for Corwin in the Chronicles of Amber (great read if you haven't already) when the hand and sword traipse out of dreamworld into Amber.

Just thinking

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

I had found the Bone Hoard of the Dancing Horror some time ago and it will fill the need I have. The map is a simple underground temple of some sort. It will be easy to patch this into one of the underground sections of the Mysterious Tower, Taam's Tower to us, a long tunnel/hallway that ends up in the temple section of BHDH. In room 11, across the span of the strange liquid, will be the next activator for the dome vs Olhydra with a missing piece to it.

Now, my only problem is in getting the party to parse through the notes, understand they are looking for five towers, that Taam's Tower is one of them and thus houses an activator.

Game day this Saturday

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

This thread migrated over to Blades Against Death

Losloris

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”