Too many DCCs?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

The Deceiver
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by The Deceiver »

As DCC #37: The Slithering Overlord has been mentioned quite a few times in this thread, its humble author feels a strong urge to clarify things a bit. :twisted:

Although the module bears a resemblance to Against the Cult of Reptile God, the similarity is mainly antagonist-wise. The structure and feel are quite different, though I can't deny having been inspired by that classic 1E adventure. :)

*spoiler warning*
Considering the sci-fi element in recent DCCs, #37 is also guilty. I hereby confess reading Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth (and its Russian counterpart, Vladimir Obruchev's Plutonia - see it here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... /ref=nosim ) several times to many. However, the explanation of the DCC's "lost world" is quite magical in nature.
*spoilers end here*

And regarding cheese, yes, there are lots of encounters in The Slithering Overlord that strain credibility and just drip with weirdness (sometimes literally). IMHO, weirdness is a staple of 1E experience, and cheese is something trite and predictable, but... consider yourself warned. :twisted:
Artem Serebrennikov
Author of DCC #37
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Re: Too many DCCs?

Post by losloris »

Just to back up to JediOre's post, I think there is room in every game for near abouts every type of adventure. All of these modules have some really key, interesting ideas, and, frankly, they save me lots of time by having a foundation to work with.

I am responding here in part because of the reference to the Ghost Tower of Inverness. We picked up the thread that stopped at the last entry for the Revenge of the Rat King. We decided we could not go back to Welwyn, which is what I had planned for, and so needed to do something right now. The GTofI as in my stuff so, let's throw in a few new elements - it's a fantastic world ready for anything. Sure the party is a lower level than GTofI, and, there are a few things in the adventure I do not like (such as no chance to avoid any of the encounters). That noted, my job is to provide an adventure setting for my players. Fine. Cut the hit points of 'monsters' and come up with a reason why this fits into where we are now. It worked and my players are ecstatic at the newness of the setting.

Sometimes it's more enjoyable if you do not have the map that dictates everything. in almost every case I have found DCCs to be an excellent starting point for tonight's adventure.

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

On that note, of being inside the ghost Tower of Inverness, I am thoroughly not happy with the ending, the big gem room behind the invisible force field.

Does anyone have a suggestion from any DCC module for a finale that includes the big gem? I am perfectly able to adapt a reasonable setting, and, have already done much personalisation of this module to make it more to my style of play. Your help is appreciated

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

Yup, on the note, totally dissatisfied with the Ghost Tower of Inverness for its complete randomness, how there is no benefit from one encounter leading into the next. I find this a problem with many TSR products.

We are gearing up for our next attempt at the Vault of the Dragon Kings and fully appreciate, for this specific module, the number four. There are four kings, four horns, four traps, four cogs. We have two horns and know to be looking for two more. And, so on.

There is no such math about the GToI.

I have found it easy to work with DCC modules for this purpose, that an attentive party can look for some patterns so as not to be so encased in the dark.

Losloris

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”