Chapter 1: Destiny of Steam and Steel - Part I: Neddirpik

Forum for online DragonMech game "Destiny of Steam and Steel."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Destiny of Steam and Steel
Mini-Post

The shop is not that big. There are perhaps a dozen projects in various stages of completion. One fellow has a collection of parts all organized and labeled but what they are intended for is quite a mystery.

There dwarves are working on a steam cannon. It has a swivel mount and it requires all three of them to pick it up. It is a damaged unit from Nidderpik and they are repairing it. Although, if you had to take a guess, it looks like they might be upgrading the thing too.

Hammer is working the forge for someone. He does not appear to have a project of his own. The sheet of metal he is working on could be for a mech from the mech bays.

Twiddle is working on a set of springs. For the big guy it's an odd thing to be working on. The springs are very small and he keeps trying to organize them inside a metal box. He gets some in but some keep bouncing out and he ends up looking for them.

A couple of gnomes with thick, double-glasses and tinkering with some kind of electrical device. Every now and then a spark comes off their work and they all ooooh and aaaah over it.

Twiddle comments, "I haven't got have a clue what the gnome brothers are doing but they keep getting shocked. Some of the tools have become magnetized in the shop. That's good for some things, bad for others. Its sort of handy that the tools can not slide off the work bench. Its not so handy when you can't pry them off the tool bench to use them!"

There is a half constructed device leaning in one corner with a crudely humanoid form. It's some kind of clockwork puppet.

Finally, sitting perfectly still perched near the ceiling, looking like a specter of death, is a grey bird. It is almost invisible against the background of metal and steel. It takes a moment but the thing must be a crow, only it is grey. Albino crows are very rare, much more so these days so as to be unheard of any more. Grey crows simply never existed.

MCDM
Cas
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cas »

Cas couldn’t help but marvel at the brilliance in the room, he walked up beside Twiddle “Master dwarf, is there somebody here who could help me construct a mech?” It seemed in this new place Cas’ dreams of becoming a famous mech pilot could materialize.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

DSS

"Only if you have a few thousand gold coins sitting around fellow."

Twiddle laughs with a big smile.

"Mechs are expensive, moreso here on Nedderpik. All the scrap on board is expensive to haul around."

Twiddle pauses for a few moments.

"Now, on the off chance that you do have some coins floating around, Hammer over there is pretty handy with his tools and the Gnome brothers Spatz and Crench there have done a lot of work on mechs. The rest of use work on just one mech everyday!"

Twiddle waves his hands around indicating Nedderpik.

MCDM
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod goes across towards the gnomes and stands a respectful distance away. He watches what they are doing carefully, attempting to fathom its theory and purpose.

Once he thinks he knows what is going on, or realizes that he is completely in over his head, not an unusual occurance for a short shy dwarf like Glod, he engages the gnomes in conversation asking all manner of questions trying to understand what exciting and interesting things are occuring.

Glod is not normally the social type, but he opens up considerably when it comes to talking about important things such as gears and cogs.
Cas
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cas »

Cas bows to Twiddle and walks towards the man known as Hammer. "Excuse me sir, can you spare some time? I was told to come talk to you about building a mech." Cas' excitement was overwelming, this was it, he was on his way.
Alfa Romeo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alfa Romeo »

"Magnets eh? I'll have to have a look then"
Alfa had experimented with lodestones before, but he had never found much of a practical use for them, sure they could stick stuff together, but only metal, and not very well. He had, however, heard of a coglayer that created a powerfull lodestones with the help of a wizard, but they were both killed by a freak lightning storm, and no one continued their work.

"Hail gnomes!" Bellowed Alfa as he approached their workstation, greetings and formalities quickly made way for technical jargen as Alfa joined Glod and the gnomes"
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Music

Spatz and Crench
"Well this is a rethreaded, reverse polarized, steam cannon." -S
"What does it do?"
"Well, uh, so far? It fires backwards." -S
"What good is that?"
"We give it to the enemy?" -S
"We're trying to make a weapon that will do this to enemy steam cannons." -C
"Not so much luck on that front so far." -S

Hammer Time
"Cas you'll have little trouble building a mech, if you've got some serrious coin sitting around. I can put in a good word and get you a work area below. That doesn't mean you won't have to pay for it, it means you'll actually get a spot. You'll need a crew, depending on what you want to build.

"I've seen a thousand souls starting off. Its an exciting time. Just be really careful who you give your money too. There are enough people on board you'll just take it and run, or give you shoddy merchandise. I suggest you check with the gearwrights before you buy anything expensive."

"I've got a peice of junk downstairs held up by two legs if you want to go look at it sometime. It's got a few flaws I can point out that maybe you can avoid."

Spatz and Crench II
"Hail gnomes!" Bellowed Alfa.

Both cringe visibly before this greeting.

"That greeting is not so popular in these parts." Hammer interupts. "In a place where the sky falls and kills you, hail is a bad word."

Getting over their concern, the gnomes go over their modified barrel again and talk about the magnets they are using and about polarity and how it can make things work. They are on the verge of discovering the rail gun, if the technology existed to make it work - wait, it does.

The Beautiful, The Bad
Music

Lurn pauses in a corridor. Her silhouette, unquestionably female, fills out a passageway.

Grip takes aim at her form. Small and odd shaped, he is sure he is unnoticed.

Lurn shakes her head with her back to Grip.

Grip hesitates. Then he wanders off trying to remember what he was doing. Thinking for Grip means speaking out loud. It has always been a problem for him to keep secrets as a result.

"I turned left at the boiler pipes. I'm going to test my gun. I aimed my gun at.... ...what did I aim my gun at? Hmmm weird.

"So I turned left at the boiler pipes. I'm going to test my gun. This corridor is empty. I should go find someone to test it on. Maybe there will be someone down this way."

Lurn steps out from the shadows. She watches a pawn on a chessboard moving around. Too bad she is not playing that game.
"That poor fellow is going to get hurt."

MCDM
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod remembers his dream from the night before. This image has come to him several nights in a row. He isn't sure why he keeps seeing it.

http://www.certtutor.net/Common/Trainin ... 071305.jpg

After learning what he can from the gnomes about this new approach, Glod quietly examines both the clockwork puppet and then the bird. Once he has gleaned what he can, he approaches Hammer. Once hammer notices him, Glod asks if he can lend a hand.

If Hammer seems uninterested in help, Glod approaches the dwarves working on the steam cannon and makes the same offer of help.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

After securing his gear in his living quarters, Robert heads for the market & hiring area, to see if he can find anyone looking for guards, mercs, etc.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Hammers and Apples

Music
Curved Steel
Hammer looks up from his work at Glod. "Oh, hey. Sure, I could use a hand. Grab a hammer but this is one of those long slow painful projects.

"You see, this is an external sheet for my mech and the surface is curved. I haven't found anyone with a set of curving rollers that will fit this so I'm doing it by hand. I have a mathmatical description of the curve but it will probably have to be adjusted when it gets downstairs anyway so it doesn't have to be perfect. I just carried up another peice and I'm curving it by sight. It's just going to take a lot of hammering."

Beside him is another sheet of metal, about the same size and curved.

Skill Check: You will need to make a Craft (mechcraft) check DC 10 to be able to participate successfully. (It's not that hard.)

Music
Mercenaries
Robert arrives through a serries of narrow, hot, tunnels into the general market place. It is busy with people and pick pockets. The air is thick with the smell of steam cooked meats and vegitables. Black carbon spots have built up on the ceiling above certain vendors and great clouds of white steam obscure entire vendor stalls. There is a constant chatter and occasional yelling and laughter that rises above the rest.

Food is a tough commodity. There is fruit, but it is disgustingly expensive. You can spend up to 10gp for an old apple, more for a new one. Mostly it is mystery meat and some creative use of fungus. It it can't move or grow underground, it is difficult and dangerous to harvest. Water is always suspect but most people are pretty resiliant to a little oil in the water these days. You can get better food, but it costs so much more. A few clerics can produce food and some druids grow food onboard. People are aware of scurvy and scrape together some coins every month for some fruit or choke down some of the more nutricious mold products which do about the same thing.

There are a group of dark looking mercenaries, all clad in black and sitting quietly on small metal chairs drinking near a vendor. They watch their belongings carefully as other people pass. They spot you long before you get across the crowd.

There is also a military post here. It is a small stall with the flag of Nedderpik with enough room for the bored fellow to sit down. There is a chair with an attached drawing board and papers for recruiting. He is slowly eating some kind of meat on a stick and not really paying attention to the crowd. He wears the typical dark blue uniform but he does not appear to be armed, although odds are he's got a knife tucked away somewhere.

Music
Lunar Threat
Jack was a good farmer. He planted his crops early. He worked hard. When the lunar rain fell he removed the stones from his feild and replanted. He built some crude coverings that kept off light lunar rain. Today was as any other, he went out to survey the damage.

Something big, and white, and pulsing with veins climbed out of a large hole in his field. It moved fast. Jack might have run but he was in shock. Jack was no fool and he knew about lunar creatures. Normally he would have run. It was the shock you see. Jack's right arm was lying on the ground some distance away. Jack just stood there wide-eyed and died.

The creature looked up and, on the horizon, stood a mech standing still. The creature hissed loudly and scrambled forward on all four legs towards the mech, towards Nedderpik.

MCDM
Last edited by Charke on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cas
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cas »

Cas, with his new information decided perhaps a mech of his own would have to come later, but that doesnt mean he cant pilot something in the meantime. Cas asked Twiddle for directions and startd off towards the mercinarys and army recruter...
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Roll 7. Craft (Mechcraft) +23. Final Result = 30.

Glod continues to assist Hammer in his work.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Bang

Music
En Route
Twiddle smiles.
"Well Cas, you go down this corridor." He motions his thick thumb out the door to the right. "It's a tight fit in places but it's faster than going around. There are a serries of pipes. The trick is to follow the blue pipes. They turn around the corner there and it looks they they are doubling back but in fact they turn again and it's only a short distance farther to the market. Mind the pipes with the red diamonds. Those are hot. A know a few fellows burned their shoulders passing those pipes so you be careful."

Music
Hammer

"You do good work." Comments Hammer examining the finished peice of metal. "We hammered off much of the paint but that isn't much of a problem. I've mostly given up on a logo. The mech belches so much steam that it is constantly coated in oil anyway."

"Here is a new problem I'm working on."

Hammer and Glod continue their work. Hammer has a drive shaft attached to a gearset he is rebuilding. Apparently he tore it appart when he last used his mech. The gears are expertly built and they are made of high strength steel. When the gearbox is unscrewed and pulled appart, you can see gears that have been sheered right off.

Hammer sighs. "Figures. I can't make anything small enough and strong enough to serve as a primary gear box. I don't want to make the gearbox any larger but this won't do. As soon as I redline the boiler the gearbox sheers through. It means the mech can barely run. I'll have to keep it at a walk until I can get my hands on some mithril or adamantine gears, and those won't be cheap."

Skill Check: There IS a way to rebuild the gears out of metal but you would have to make another impresive skill checks to recognize this. Obviously Hammer is used to working in mithril and does not know a few shortcuts.

Music
Trigger
There is hiss and a pop when Grip shoots Cas. The bullet fires wildly, missing Cas by a good margin. It richochet's off the metal walls, floor and piping for a few moments as both attacker and target instinctively duck. Grip fires off a second shot, which is just as bad as the first. He curses and starts reloading. Cas has a few moments before he is getting shot at again.

A pipe has cracked and steam is hissing out loudly making it hard to see. The fact that the narrow corridor was dark to begin with does not improve visibility.

Skill Check: A Listen Check DC 20 is required to hear the shots. It is loud both in the gearwrights guild and the market place and the shots could be easily mistaken for something else, metal contracting, or a rivot giving out or something of the like.

People will hear the shots, but the question is whether or not you will notice first. Only the first few people will be able to fit into the narrow corridors between the market and the gearwrights guild.

Music
Lady in White
Lurn pauses, watching Grip miss Cas. She shrugs.
"I didn't see any bullets in him the next time we meet."
She walks past unseen, or rather, unnoticed and has lunch in the market place. She pays well for an interesting lunch but no one seems to take much notice in her.

MCDM
http://www.Charke.ca
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

listening in the market

Post by Raptor »

Roll 16, Listen +9, result 25.

Hearing what sounds like a steam gun shot in the distance, Robert opens his fanning shield and slowly heads in the direction it seemed to come from, with his hand on his axe and his eyes open.
Last edited by Raptor on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod does his best to determine a way to repair the gearbox.

Roll 18. Craft (Mechcraft) +23. Final Result = 41.
Cas
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cas »

By the time the second shot wizzed over his head Cas had his own steam gun out and was aiming at Grip. While he was reloding Cas took his shot.
(to hit: natural 20 doesnt crit)
(OCC uh mark can you post the info for the steam gun in my char thread I forgot what it was and being in Ireland dont have acces to the info)
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Gunfire

Music
Steam Cannon
There is a thundering explosion. A chunk of metal moves faster than you can follow. The steam parts for it as it moves across the corridor and throught Grip, striking the wall behind. The weapon punches a hole clear through the cogling and he grunts in pain, blood spurting from front and back. He crumples to the floor, severely injured.

"Hrnnn!"

Grip gasps and fumbles with his own steam cannon, trying to reload it. He pulls his knees up tight against his chest and it is obvious he is having trouble breathing all of a sudden, although the shot went through his mid section.

Cas moves fast with his hands reloading his own steam cannon. Without a large hole in his mid section he is moving a little faster. (Incidently a standard medium sized steam cannon deals 1d10 damage. You dealt 6 points of damage to Grip.)

In fact Grip over there might not even manage to reload. He has managed to get blood on his already grease coated hands and that all hampers the ability to grab and may impare the ability of the bullet to fire. Of course, steam cannon designers expect a lot of grease to get into the weapon. They are crude compaired to modern rifles and that gives them the ability to work under adverse conditions, or blow up.

Music
Gear Box
Glod examines the gearbox and determines that the cogs must be cut at an angle so they do not sheer off while in use. This will require that the gear shifting mechanism be rebuilt. This will require parts, which Hammer can supply, but it will also take several days. However in the short term, you could draw a diagram of how it could be done and leave it with Hammer (depending on where you guys end up). Jail and shot come to mind in the short term.

Both Glod and Hammer and the other few people in the gearwrights hear the several shots. You can also hear the loud hissing of a damaged steam pipe. Anyone with half a brain will realize that it's a minor pipe and will not serriously effect Nidderpick, but it should be reported immediately. A major pipe break would flood an entire area with scalding steam and kill everyone within minutes, unless you are quick to lockdown your location.

Hammer grabs a long knife in a black scabbard and sticks it in his belt and looks at Glod.

"Careful. Fights in these corridors don't leave much room to move. Best to stay right here where we can stick together."

Twiddle prepares his taser-like device and watches the entrance to the gearwrights. The gnome brothers pick up their backwards firing weapon, remove the back of it and aim it backwards at the door. Even now they continue to fiddle with it.

Music
Good Ears
Robert can be sure it is gunfire after the third shot. The hiss of steam is a tell-tale after effect. Robert arrives ahead of the croud but this presents its own problem. He can not retreat. There are too many people behind him in a very narrow corridor all trying to get a look. The mercinaries did not come. The guard sitting at his post left, but went the other direction. It is easy to assume he is going for backup.

Ahead of Robert there is Grip on the ground, surrounding by steam, making him hard to see. Further down the corridor is another figure, Cas. Both persons are reloading. This causes some of the on-lookers to panic. With no where to go in this ricochet effective environment they jump up and down and start screaming.

"Go back! Go back!"
"Get out of my way."
"Run."

A sort of shoving match begins, which threatens to engulf Robert at the head of the double line of on-lookers. The ones at the back are pushing people forward.

Music
Peaceful Times

Reese Posts
I hope you aren't waiting on me, I don't figure I would be able to hear a gunshot since I'm probably on a different level, and the door is closed, and I may be asleep.

Namfoodle drifts off to sleep in one of the six bunks in the very cramped room. With Nidderpick's gears grinding down as the mech stops, it is quieter than usual but the regular motion of the mech is comming to a halt.

Ah sleep, perchance to dream. What dreams are there in DragonMech? Great exciting ones to be certain. There is steam and steel and creatures with white skin that tear people appart easily and with a centuries old hatred. Apparently the moon isn't such a nice place to live? And here is the classic foreshadowing that anyone who falls asleep must endure in a fantasy campaign; Images of those who are comming to destroy what little remains of faith. Images of dead people, killed in horrible ways. Pleasant dreams.

Zzzzzzzzz

MCDM
Cas
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cas »

After reloading Cas cautiosly approaches the cogling on the ground with his steam cannon trained on him. As he moves he yells at the cogling "Drop your wepon now and we will be able to save your life..."(diplomacy 13) he then noticed the panic'd people down the coridor and called to them while keeping his attention on grip "... Stay calm and back away the situation is under control,(diplomacy 19) someone get the guards and a medic right away!" The ball was in grips court now...
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Robert Rico

I move in at normal speed (30ft), drawing my buzzaxe and using a power pt to activate biofeedback as I approach, ready to attack if he attempts to fire again. (ranged attacks provoke attacks of opportunity)
Last edited by Raptor on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

accidental post
Last edited by Raptor on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod puts his buzzaxe somewhere within easy reach (his steam gun being in the armory) and asks whether Hammer has anything on which he might draw up a schematic. Glod stays with the gearwrights. Tinkering is way more fun than getting shot at.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

An Injured Cogling

Music
Loosing Grip
Grip does himself the favor of passing out. This pretty much ends the fight. He slumps over the steam cannon and blood starts pooling around him.

Cas calms the crowd which starts to disipate. Unfortunately the principle of authority is that the more people you deligate a singular responsiblity to, the slimer the odds of it happening. If you had told one person to get help, they might have done it. Every member of the crowd figures someone else will go get help.

That is not a problem though. The guards swarm in within minutes.

"What's going on here!" Belows a burly dwarven guard in dark blue.

"Well this guy shot at me and I shot back- " Cas begins.

"You're under arrest. What are you doing carrying around a steam canon!!? Ensign Garnet, get a doctor."

"Captain Stormshoulder, that Hammer fellow is right over there."

"Fine. Confiscate these weapons. Lock this fellow up (Cas). Collect statements and get me a repair team on the double!" Stormshoulder snarls.

"Sir, beging your pardon but the gearwrights are cleared to conduct repairs-"

"Then THAT would be the repair team I asked for, wouldn't it be?"

"Of course sir. Right away." The ensign slips down the hall with a salute and steps into the gearwrights. "Okay, you two (the gnome brothers) and you (Glod). I'm assigning you to repair this damaged pipe. Commander Hammer, if you wouldn't mind their is an injured cogling out here."

Skill Check: The repairs will require a related Craft check DC 15.

Hammer nods silently. He also pushes his tool kit towards Glod.

Two guards drag grip in and put him up on a table. Hammer looks at the man for a minute.

"He'll need surgery or a healer."

"No one here is going to pay for a healer. You'd better sew him up." Ensign Garnet comments.

Hammer nods. "We'll take him down to my room. I have the tools there."

Hammer and two guards take Grip away.

Music
Psionics
Robert takes the few moments required to concentrate and make subtle changes in his body that prepare it to heal injuries he believed he might be receiving. He focuses and reaches out, feeling his body change. His heart rate increases slightly. His blood pulses a little stronger. His cells feel alive and ready. It never occured though and suddenly he is being escorted back with the rest of the crowd, back towards the market place.

Jail
Cas finds himself in jail pending investigation. That is not a fun prospect aboard a mech. It is the tinest little room. Cas was caught carrying a banned weapon around Nidderpick. At the very least that should get him kicked off the mech. Grip, of course, is in similar circumstances should he survive his injury. Cas is facing a charge of possessing a mech-dangerous weapon and disrupting the peace. (You may, of course, add resisting arrest if you wish.)

Skill Check: A Diplomacy check DC 40 will let you walk away with no questions asked. 30 will get your steam canon back and you will have to pay a fine. 20 will get you out with fines but short your steam cannon. All Diplomacy checks require background and explanation. You will need to tell me how you convince the guard you are innocent and that will provide a bonus or penalty.

Music
Hammer and Scalpel
Hammer sews Grip back together with some considerable skill. The same worn hands that hold metal and turn nuts hold a scalpel as still as cold steel. The young cogling will live. In a few days he will face charges similar to the one's Cas is facing.

Villians
Goy looks up from his maps of Neddirpick. "Where is Grip?"
There is no responce, although there is a dozen dark robed individuals in the room.

Music
Two Steps Forward
White boots. Heavy rubber souls. Tough corderoy fabric pants, white of course. A sweatshirt, white. Almost plastic gloves, white. Dark, almost black skin and hazel eyes that peirce. No hair. A jaw that is almost square. Built. Ripped. This man stands in the shanty town that is Neddirpick's roof. He coughs once in the smoke. He looks around.

"It's bigger than in pictures."

Then he is gone.

MCDM

PS. Do me a favor everyone. Go pick out a midi song for your character.

PPS. I suggest you write your posts in third person present tense. Glod kicks the bucket filled with bolts. Cas shoots another civilian. Robert charges down the corridor holding a spinning chainsaw in his hands. Don't bother going back and changing old posts, just future ones. This is a game not book material. (Even if it is, it would be highly edited anyway.)
Cas
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cas »

Cas starts to talk his way out of his situation
"I am sorry for what happened, I didnt mean for the little guy to get hurt that bad, and I certainly didnt want the mech to get dammaged. I was only trying to defend myself and others on the ship, I mean if he was willing to attack a clearly armed man who knows who else he would try to harm. Please ask someone who was there, they should tell you I tryed to talk him down and calmed down the crowd. I would be more than happy to pay for the damages and for the workers time, not to mention any costs form his surgery." (diplomacy 6+16=22)
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Fine

Fines
The military officer will release Cas for a 10gp fine and his Steam Cannon will be confiscated. He can buy it back for half book price plus 1gp for a liscence to carry such an item. If he is caught with the weapon again, he will be asked to leave Nidderpick.

Music
The Bounty
"Sqwak.....attention all hands, lunar beast spotted at twelve oclock to Nidderpick. The bounty is set at 200 gold peices plus mech repairs. Good hunting. That is all."

Hammer looks up from his work. "This guy is done. Anyone want to go hunting? My mech seats up to ten. There are five gunner stations."

Music
Magic
Zulfar finds his way to the cramped little room with six beds, one dirty. From there the sounds of combat lead him up towards the gearwrights. On the way he detects something magical. It is an aura, almost undetectable. Without further means of detection, such as detect magic, the aura can not be examined, and it is fading.

Mark Charke

PS. I'm going to have to sort out the music. I did not realize I could use MP3 files but apparently I can. Midi's are kind of overlooked, but I simply can not link MP3 files. The copyright issues are a little too intense. I will look around the web for "open content" mp3 music that I can use.
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod performs the repairs. Roll = 7. Craft(Mechcraft) +23. Total = 30.

After he is finished, Glod asks if he could help out Hammer with the lunar creature. He informs Hammer that in the past he's done some training on Steamcannons and Mech lances.

OOC: No idea yet about music. I'm still thinking.

Return to “DragonMech: Destiny of Steam and Steel”