DSS Characters (how to play)

Forum for online DragonMech game "Destiny of Steam and Steel."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

This one is a bit tricky - perhaps a DM ruling. I looked at both options, and the description of the amplifier seemed more appropriate - given that it will be the steam pressure that is "amplified" by the amplifier. I assume you can't use an amplifier to increase the damage from a crossbow, but the entry on double barrelled steam guns in Steam Warriors seems to indicate steam pressure is the operative force.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

I couldn't make the character i had in mind work properly, i couldn't reconcile his nessesary class skills and class abilities with the requirements to gain long-term residency on nedderpik

University (AEG Feats)
Req: Int 13, Must take at 1st level.
Benifit: You gain 8 additional skill points at first level and 2 additional skill points each level.
Special: Starting gold minus 100gp.

Learned (Mongoose Quint Paladin)
Req: Er....um. Int 13?
Benifit: Choose three skills. These are always class skills for you.

These may solve you skill dilemas. I know they solved mine on several occasions. They kind of blur the lines between characters but I'm not too fussy about it.

Complete Arcane (or complete adventurer) has a feat that lets you buy cross-class skills at 1 rank per point spent but you are still limited in max ranks. I could dig it up if you like. The prerequisite is something silly like int 13.

MCDM
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

This one is a bit tricky - perhaps a DM ruling. I looked at both options, and the description of the amplifier seemed more appropriate - given that it will be the steam pressure that is "amplified" by the amplifier. I assume you can't use an amplifier to increase the damage from a crossbow, but the entry on double barrelled steam guns in Steam Warriors seems to indicate steam pressure is the operative force.
Boiler vs Amplifier for a Steam Gun
A boiler weights 40 lbs and would make any weapon it is attached to useless because you could not lift it. Lets stick with the amplifier which is lighter and clearly indicates it can amplify any energy type that is not magical.

Amplified Crossbow
"Any nonmagical... ...energy will work as an input."
The kinetic energy of a bow should work fine. That is a rough interpretation but it's a heck of a judgement call. Clearly the energy is mean to be transfered through the amplifier but they are clear about it being any energy type. For the sake of having fun, I don't mind putting an amplifier on a bow. It would have to be customized so it wouldn't work on another peice of equipment... ...but it's probably never going to be moved anyway.

Amplifiers are the most powerful addition to the game and I will be sticking with a maximum of 4 per device. I think I've seen that restriction somewhere but I can't remember where. I also have a personal damage limit for 5th level characters. I really don't want you guys doing 5d20 damage per round. Just take a look at a comparative spellcaster and remember that these steam weapons can keep firing and firing unlike a spellcaster who runs out of spells.

Mark Charke
Alfa Romeo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alfa Romeo »

IMHO all the steam powers are custom built for the specific task, taking the amplifier as an example:

steamgun+amplifier: a spring loaded piston is added to the main pressure chamber, the piston is held in place by a metal tab that is connected to the trigger, as the trigger is pulled the tab releases and the spring expands, pushing the piston against the built up steam to compress it. when the spring is fully extended the chamber opens into the barrel of the gun, expelling the super high pressure steam for faster velocity bullets!

on a crossbow it would probibally be some crazy pully system, IDK i've used up my creativity for the night.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

You guys may jump in and get started on Chapter 1! I've indicated that you are aboard Nedderpik in a 6 person room. That is where you will be starting the game. New characters will also start once they reach this room. This will facilitate meeting the other players and serve as a starting/storage point. You will have this room for some considerable time and the group will have to pony up a fee for keeping it. It shouldn't be too much.

MCDM
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

The internet has expanded considerably since my last online game. I remember using the BlueWave Offline mail reader to download my mail while I went for dinner. Back then a lot of multi-media was not availible, but it is now.

So I'm going to stick in pictures and sounds whenever I can. I have my own website I upload them too and link off of so I don't have to burden the boards. If you guys have any pictures or sound files (mid's, wavs ect, not MP3s) you want for your characters, send them to me and I'll stick them on my site so you can link them to your posts and such.

It would be very neat if everyone picked a theme song for their characters. It would add a touch of personality.

MCDM
Cas
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cas »

Hey mark its josh im just about done my char he should be up by tomaro if not today :D
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Looks like the initial rush is off and I've lost most of the players. This is normal for an online game. I'll start recruiting for new players. I'll get a post out shortly.

Mark Charke
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Perhaps with long combat sequences we should provide 10 or 20 dice rolls. I know I got a bit thrown by the quick move to mech combat.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

I'm not sure how I will run the rest of the mech encounters or combat, but I have always liked running a few rounds at a time. I'll continue to ask for several rounds ahead and then sort it out as it goes along.

Mark Charke

Return to “DragonMech: Destiny of Steam and Steel”