DSS Character: Glod Ostapson

Forum for online DragonMech game "Destiny of Steam and Steel."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

DSS Character: Glod Ostapson

Post by Orin »

Glod Ostapson

Coglayer 6. Medium-size humanoid (Dwarf); HP 36; Init +3; Spd 20ft; AC 19, Base Attack +3; Attack +5 Melee (2d8+2, 20/x3, Buzzaxe) or Attack +6 ranged (1d20, 20/x2, Modified Steamgun (+1 > 20ft)); SQ Integrated Parts, Machine Empathy, Exotic Weapon (Buzzaxe), Exotic Weapon (Steamgun), Mech Weapon Proficiency (Steam cannon), Mech Weapon Proficiency (Lance). 12 Steam Parts. AL LN. SV F+5, R+5, W+7; Str 14, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 7

Skills and Feats: Knowledge (Steam Engines) + 19, Craft (Mechcraft) +23, Knowledge (Mechs) +19, Knowledge (Any) +12, Craft (Blacksmith) +14, Disable Device +20, Mech Pilot +15, Listen +15, Search +12, Heal +6, Hide +6; Craft Steam Gear, Gearhead (General), Secrets of Steam (General), Mechanized Combat Practice.

Racial Traits:

Darkvision - 60 ft
Stonecunning - +2
Resist Bull Rush - +4
+2 against poison
+2 against spells and spell like effects
+1 racial bonus against orks
+4 dodge bonus AC against giant type monsters
+2 Appraise checks on stone or metal items.
+2 on Craft checks (stone/metal) (added this to mechcraft and blacksmith already)

Possessions:

Masterwork Breastplate, Ring of Protection +1, Ring of Sustenance, Artisan’s Tools – Masterwork, Healer’s Kit (x2), Gearwright’s Tool Kit, Gnomish Tool vest, Gnomish utility goggles, BuzzAxe, Modified Steam Gun (see steam powers). 130 GP.

Steam Powers:

Force Generator (shoulder mount)
Descrambler
Modified Steamgun: Steamgun + Amplifier + Amplifier + Ranger
Looks and Maps: Optical Orb + Extender + Imagemaker (small) + Navigator

---

XP

3000 (dragon encounter)
Last edited by Orin on Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:29 am, edited 9 times in total.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Looks good. The hit points are low but I guess that's because you're playing a coglayer. I'm used to my offline campaign which is running at 13th level right now. (Which reminds me I should post experience for those guys....)

MCDM
Alfa Romeo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alfa Romeo »

you are forgeting your class bonus to craft mecha, knowledge mecha, and knowledge steam engines, as well as either your racial or synergy bonuses (unless of course you didn't put full ranks into those skills)
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Okay thanks - I've put the synergies in (+2 bonus to Craft(Mechcraft) and Knowledge(Mechs)).

Where do I find the info on the class bonuses to the three skills you mention?
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

they're in the class description, the 'Machine Empathy' ability
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Thanks - I've added +5 to the appropriate skills. Thanks for that!
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Could you tally your carried weight?

I grilled Alfa Romeo about his weapon systems which got pretty heavy. Just thought I'd share the joy. I would do it but.... ....it's early in the morning and thats about enough math.

Mark Charke
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

I get 122 lbs
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Repost from e-mail.
As you are playing a Coglayer, you do not have a mech attack bonus. Hmmm. (10 minutes later). I have contacted Joseph Goodman about this. A Coglayer gets 5 Mech Weapon Proficiency feats but does not have a Mech Attack Bonus. This means he uses half his base attack bonus, which is the lowest attack bonus. So at 20th level they get a Mech Attack Bonus of +5. That is very low.

For the moment your mech attack bonus is 1/2 your base attack bonus (+1 total).

Base ranged attack modifier = mech’s Dexterity modifier + gunner’s Dexterity modifier + gunner’s mech attack bonus.

-3 (Mech's Dexterity modifier) plus +2 (your dex modifier) plus +1 (your mech attack bonus) plus +2 (a special bonus from Hemisphere) = +2 total.

Your total bonus to attack with a mech weapon is +2.
I wrote Joseph and suggested that Coglayers should swap their first Mech Weapon Proficiency with Mechanized Combat Practise or they should get a Mech Attack Bonus equal to their base attack bonus, or even one step higher (a cleric attack bonus). For now, we'll stick to the rules....

Mark Charke
www.Charke.ca
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Perhaps a custom prestige class for coglayers that actually field test the weapons that they work on would be a way around this?
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Okay - leveled up.

Added the Mechanized Combat Practice feat - so that should iron out the odd "can build the weapons but can't use them" bug.

Improved Disable device, listen and mech pilot skills.

Return to “DragonMech: Destiny of Steam and Steel”