DSS character : Alfa Romeo

Forum for online DragonMech game "Destiny of Steam and Steel."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

Alfa Romeo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

DSS character : Alfa Romeo

Post by Alfa Romeo »

Alfa Romeo

Coglayer 5. Medium-size humanoid (Dwarf); HP 36; Init +2; Spd 20ft; AC 17(15*), touch 12, F.foot 15(12*) Base Attack +2;
*=in pilots armour
Attack +2 Melee (1d6, x2, Club) or
Attack +4(5 at +20 feet) ranged (2d20, x2, Cogling Steamgun)
SQ Integrated Parts, Machine Empathy, Exotic Weapon (Steamgun), Exotic Weapon (TBA), Mech Weapon Proficiency (TBA), Mech Weapon Proficiency (TBA). 12 Steam Powers. AL LN. SV F+5, R+3, W+5; Str 10, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 5

Skills and Feats: Appraise +8(10 for metals), Climb +4, Craft: Blacksmith +12, Craft: Mecha' +21, Disable device +12, intimidate +1, Knowledge: mecha' +19, Knowledge: steam engines +17, listen +9, search +5, Spot +5, mecha' pilot +12.

Craft steam gear, Gearhead, 1 more TBA

languages: common, dwarven, gnome, giant, gobolin

racial abilities: +4 resist bullrush, +4AC vs giants, darkvision 60ft

Possessions:
chainmail
club
pilot armour
6140g
Steam Powers:
repeating light crossbow + targeter + automator + discriminator + voice command= automatic shoulder bow

mastercrafted cogling steam gun + amplifier +amplifier + amplifier + amplifier + ranger + flywheel= high powered steamgun

10/12 steam powers used.

there is a rough copy of my character, still need to figure out the bonus weapon feats and such. i couldn't find the listings for tool kits and such in the dragonmech book, but i'll definatly need those aswell
Last edited by Alfa Romeo on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

mastercrafted cogling steam gun + amplifier +amplifier + amplifier + amplifier + ranger + flywheel= high powered steamgun
That is a heavy weapon! Cogling steam guns clock in at 6lbs, +4 lbs for four ampliers, 2 lbs for a ranger and 3 lbs for a fly wheel. It now weighs 15 lbs, more than twice what it started. Cogling steam guns start at 1d8 damage. It goes d10, d12, d20 and finally 2d20 with four amplifiers not 3d20 (minor fix).
repeating light crossbow + targeter + automator + discriminator + voice command= automatic shoulder bow
This is also a heavy weapon. It starts out as a 6 lb light crossbow, +1 lb targeter, +3 lb Automator, +4 lb discriminator, +1 lb voice command for 15 lbs.

Could I get the final price tags on each weapon? Also I am going to rule that these are both size Medium weapons now and require the use of two hands to operate because of their size (although that is sort of negated with the automator).

I would like to know how your discriminator determines freinds from foes. For example, you might tell it who is an ally or who is an enemy. You could designate a race, religion, dialect or something like that. You can change the discriminator but this will take time and is not something that can be done during combat. This is partially a role-playing element, but clever opponents may be able to trick the discriminator if they recognize how it is targeting.

Weight: Weight may become an issue. Your weapons weigh in at 30 lbs. Clothes are typically 3-10 lbs. Chainmail is 30 lbs. 6190gp weighs 61 lbs (you can change that into platinum fairly easily, or gems but lose a percent to the merchant). That puts you at somewhere between 63 to 131 lbs. With a 10 Str, your light load is 33 lbs, medium 34-66, and heavy 67-100.

Your Craft (mech) is base 8 ranks, +5 for machine empathy, +4 for intelligence, +2 synergy for Knowledge (steam engines) for a total of 19. Is there a synergy or bonus I am not seeing that increases it to +21?

You should add the following to your character and list the other steam powers you know as well; steam powers (amplifier, automator, discriminator, flywheel, ranger, targeter, voice command) in place of "12 steam powers".

I'm sort of thinking about having everyone get in mechs at some point so getting a mech attack bonus may help. There is a feat that gives it to you, or a later level in mech jockey.

The steam powers system is open to a certain amount of abuse. This is why I'm focusing on the weight and size as a means to maintain game balance. At the same time I think you should have some cool gadgets to play with, just keep an eye on the min/maxing.

I am getting use to this system, so these notes are also for myself as well.

The character looks fine so far.

Mark Charke
Alfa Romeo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alfa Romeo »

That is a heavy weapon! Cogling steam guns clock in at 6lbs, +4 lbs for four ampliers, 2 lbs for a ranger and 3 lbs for a fly wheel. It now weighs 15 lbs, more than twice what it started. Cogling steam guns start at 1d8 damage. It goes d10, d12, d20 and finally 2d20 with four amplifiers not 3d20 (minor fix).
i must have been reading the steambreather stats by accident for the damage. a 15 pound weapon isn't much when compaired with some of the others listed there, a buzzsaw is 40 lbs!
Could I get the final price tags on each weapon? Also I am going to rule that these are both size Medium weapons now and require the use of two hands to operate because of their size (although that is sort of negated with the automator).
both weapons are 1000-1400 each, there are rules for figuring out how much size steam powers add, and it is size large weapons that require 2 hands (i'm guessing because the personal steamgun is listed as size large while the coglayer gun is size medium), the steamgun i'm sure is size large, and, hold on a seccond... ya, the bow is large too.
I would like to know how your discriminator determines freinds from foes. For example, you might tell it who is an ally or who is an enemy. You could designate a race, religion, dialect or something like that. You can change the discriminator but this will take time and is not something that can be done during combat. This is partially a role-playing element, but clever opponents may be able to trick the discriminator if they recognize how it is targeting.
according to the book the discriminator can make simple set of decisions, the most common being discriminating between friend and foe.

but that seem a bit too easy, so how about i set conditions like:

if: humanoid resembles an ork
then: shoot it
else: don't shoot humanoids
(that exhausts my knowledge of visual basic)
Weight may become an issue. Your weapons weigh in at 30 lbs. Clothes are typically 3-10 lbs. Chainmail is 30 lbs. 6190gp weighs 61 lbs (you can change that into platinum fairly easily, or gems but lose a percent to the merchant). That puts you at somewhere between 63 to 131 lbs. With a 10 Str, your light load is 33 lbs, medium 34-66, and heavy 67-100.
dwarves can load up to their maximum weight without suffering movement penalties. as for money: aren't there banks?
Your Craft (mech) is base 8 ranks, +5 for machine empathy, +4 for intelligence, +2 synergy for Knowledge (steam engines) for a total of 19. Is there a synergy or bonus I am not seeing that increases it to +21?
dwarves can drop their bonuses to stonework in exchange for a +2 bonus to craft: mecha' and some other things
You should add the following to your character and list the other steam powers you know as well; steam powers (amplifier, automator, discriminator, flywheel, ranger, targeter, voice command) in place of "12 steam powers".

the steam power limit is the number of steam powers that you can maintain, coglayers know how to build all steam powers.
I'm sort of thinking about having everyone get in mechs at some point so getting a mech attack bonus may help. There is a feat that gives it to you, or a later level in mech jockey.
at some point? what about "at all times" mecha' rule!
The steam powers system is open to a certain amount of abuse. This is why I'm focusing on the weight and size as a means to maintain game balance. At the same time I think you should have some cool gadgets to play with, just keep an eye on the min/maxing.
note that i don't have any magic items, i always gimp my characters: Thad B. Goodquestion can only kill undead and ally NPCs efficiantly, Icecream-princess Momo has the better part of insanity on her side, and my incubus was a incubus. magic be damned! steam is the way of the future! full steam ahead!
The character looks fine so far.
with a charisma of 5 he's actually fairly repulsive.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Alfa Romeo wrote:
dwarves can drop their bonuses to stonework in exchange for a +2 bonus to craft: mecha' and some other things
Correct me if i am wrong, but...

Dwarves have a racial bonus on craft checks with metal or stone.

Mechs are, for the most part, metal constructs, and I would assume a dwarf's craft bonus would apply to them for that fact.
(In fact, mechs with metal armor are probably entierly metal... barring upholstry on the piloting chairs, the water that it turns to steam, and the coal if burns to turn the water to steam... and maybe some of the tubing in smaller mechs?)
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Alfa Romeo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alfa Romeo »

from the book

-dwarven bonus to craft checks applies to craft:mechcraft
-dwarves raised in mechs lose the stonecutting ability but gain a +2 to pilot checks
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

i must have been reading the steambreather stats by accident for the damage. a 15 pound weapon isn't much when compaired with some of the others listed there, a buzzsaw is 40 lbs!
I would only let a really strong character weild a 40 lb weapon without a penalty. I was looking at your 10 str. Go try pick up a 40 lb item sometime and swing it around. Anduril, at only perhaps 10 lbs is brutal to swing.
according to the book the discriminator can make simple set of decisions, the most common being discriminating between friend and foe.
but that seem a bit too easy, so how about i set conditions like:
if: humanoid resembles an ork
then: shoot it
else: don't shoot humanoids
(that exhausts my knowledge of visual basic)
Revise this unless you want the weapon to only shoot at orcs. I would add that the weapon does not fire until voice commanded to fire - otherwise there could be problems.
dwarves can load up to their maximum weight without suffering movement penalties. as for money: aren't there banks?
Do you know how many characters I've drowned? You are running at about -20 to your swim check at this point.

Double check it but that sounds right.
the steam power limit is the number of steam powers that you can maintain, coglayers know how to build all steam powers.
Okay, news flash for me. I haven't played a coglayer yet.
note that i don't have any magic items, i always gimp my characters:
I'll keep it in mind. If you give your character a penalty like that be darned sure to tell me. I won't notice. Only on online games do I get to see character sheets on a regular basis!
with a charisma of 5 he's actually fairly repulsive.
Noted.

MCDM
Alfa Romeo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alfa Romeo »

im going to ireland, back on the tenth, see u!
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Are you suggesting that there are no computers in Ireland?

MCDM
Alfa Romeo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alfa Romeo »

whut in shaying ish tat ill be sooooooooo drunk tat i cans tipe

Return to “DragonMech: Destiny of Steam and Steel”