Out of character

Forum for online DragonMech game "Destiny of Steam and Steel."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Out of character

Post by Reese »

Starting a thread for random out of character stuff, like stuff relating to the game: vacations, illness, having to go to work, or whatever keeping you from playing, just random stuff that's related to this game but not appropriate for in character speach or is not directly related to whatever is going in game.

First concern: hoping Charke is all right, since he hasn't posted here in almost 2 weeks.

Also, if he's just waiting for everyone else to do stuff, how is everyone else?

I realize that two weeks isn't long enough to be considered a worrying period time for unexplained absence when you're talking about the internet, but i worry none the less. :P
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

must admit, I was starting to get a little worried myself. I think this thread is a very good idea.

As you said, I hope charke is ok. As far as the game goes i think we've got to an impass, we've taken action to try to scare the refugees off (good bit of ilusion) and posed the question as to if we should crush are way through them. Rico is down in the legs possibly looking to open up lines of communication (hope he's not spooked by the green stuff). What els can we do. Hammer is kinda the captian of the mech so we have to wait for his say........ Think its the time for some adudication, I'm not sure what we can do without it?
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Has anyone emailed Mark?
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Sorry guys, I've just been very busy. It's a little bit too easy to let the online game slide when I'm tied up with other things. I'll kick my butt and make sure I get the posts out a little more regularly.

Mark Charke
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

so, did anyone earn any experience in chapter 2?
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

I will get around to experience. Incidently my computer is in the shop and I'm running on my older unit. I've backed everything up but it's all on dvd disks which my old computer doesn't read. So things might be a little more mundane in the posts till I get the main computer back.

Mark Charke
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Sigh, it should be another week before I get my beloved, and very bloody much needed, computer back. Until then I can not work on digital art, but I am getting my writing done.

I WILL be at Gen-Con incidently, running Etherscope: Just a Delivery. Its possible that I will be running other games at the Con but I haven't organized anything yet. I'm still crazy-busy on a clone book right now.

I've updated the game twice so buzz over and have a read. I've added a few more options for getting into the guts of Neddirpik to solve the problems. If you have other ideas, post them. There are some great pictures of Neddirpik in the core book and others in some of the expansions so look at the mech you are crawling around in.

Mark Charke
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

We need to split the items that were found in the barracks. I would suggest the following split: 4 potions, 4 potions, 1 potion & wand, 1 potion & scroll. If thats alright with everyone I will take one of the sets of 4 potions.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

well... can anyone else actually use the wand or scroll?

ie: anyone here got ranks of use magic device or levels of sorceror or wizard?

Of course, I couldn't reliably use the scroll, if it is indeed a scroll of teleport, unless I gained three more levels (at which point, I would be more inclined to scribe it to my spell book anyway...)

--edit--

oh, by the way, We have out levels now, I guess...

so...

Do we get to memorize any spells with the level up, or should that wait until we have some time where we're not being menaced by a basilisk being around the corner and it can be done according to the normal rules involving memorizing spells?

(ie: instantanious memorization of a couple spells with a level up vs. spending 15 minutes to an hour studying a spell book or meditating)
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Actually, Namfoodle should be able to use the lightning bolt wand, unless evocation is one of his prohibited schools. Wands are spell trigger items unlike scrolls which are spell completion items. Here is the info from the D20SRD site:
Spell Completion
This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that’s left to do is perform the finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on). To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be of high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already. If he can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance he’ll make a mistake. Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.

Spell Trigger
Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
So you don't have to know the spell, it just has to be on your list.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

well, I meant anyone besides me >_>

this is just me being sneaky and trying to snag all the arcane loot ;) :roll:
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Well Connaught has ranks in Use Magic Device, so he could use them too.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Oh, cool then.

I want the wand more than the scroll, in any case.
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod isn't particularly fussed
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

don't think connaughts ranks in UMD are good enogh to warrent him having the scroll or wand. I'l grab a potion or two if thats alright.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

I figured it out and at he current rate of advancement, we'll reach Lvl. 20 in only 4844 days!
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Charke wrote:Destiny of Steam and Steel
Stuff

There is an animator, but it is partially combined with a disciminator, obviously something Hammer had been building as another member of his artificial crew. It looks like this item is designed to detect steam presure (from another device not present) and then turn valves. Modifying the two devices or taking them appart is certainly possible.

There are a number of spark generators, used as lighters for many experiments lying around.

There is a cauterizor in the first aid kit.

These steam powers are all size medium.

There is a clockwork puppet (size small) with an animator and a scanner. It appears to be non-functional but what is wrong with it would require some work to fix.

There are a number of pumps not in use and even a wavemaker being used as a radio.

There is an unusual project in the back made from a mass of thin sheets of green colored materials, wires, and a very fine pumping system. It is size large. You could squeeze it into the elevator but moving it around in the corridors would be difficult. It appears to be an automator, discriminator using some kind of spark generator to etch paper thin sheets of glass stored in a fluid.

Also there are some dead basilisks in the room.
West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Is this thread becoming for the twilight zone postings?

Nope - leveling is as slow as tar dripping in online games.

Um...west of house? I'm not getting the reference.

Back to editing. Busy month - but when isn't it.

Mark Charke
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

*Revokes Charke's geek membership card*

just the opening lines of one of the most loved text adventures ever
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

through the door.

Post by Raptor »

I'm am total serious about going through the door if necessary. With my buzzaxe in 2-handed mode and doing full power attacks I do 2d8+15 damage an attack.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

I believe you, but in character I wanna minimize damage.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

No problem, I just wanted everyone to know this is an option, which is why I posted in the out of character thread.
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

as no one has said any different I have taken four of the cure lt wounds potions.

hope this is ok.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Every month since September has become a little busier. School and writing seem to be snowballing. I finished one book but like a boomerang it came back with requested changes just as fast. However, I have added DSS to my Microsoft Calendar so that it'll kick me in the pants each week to get an update done. That should help get the updates out faster.

Mark Charke
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I'd lost a lot of stuff from my computer (like my list of links to check regualarly) and hadn't remembered to check back here until now.
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}

Return to “DragonMech: Destiny of Steam and Steel”