Chapter 3: Neddirpik

Forum for online DragonMech game "Destiny of Steam and Steel."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Robert replies, "I can probably cut thru to them, but it will take some time and make a lot of noise.".
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Destiny of Steam and Steel
Doorways

It is easy enough for Glod to unscrew the grate. It is noisy but perhaps not quite as would have been with the buzz zaw. Carefully placing the grate on the ground things are about as quiet as ever. There is still the hum of machinery that masks most of the noise you are making.

"Straight ahead is access to general quarters. Beyond that is the Coglayer's guild and further down is the food court. We can expect to see a lot of people in these areas if we aren't careful."

"Left is an access into some heavy machinery levels. There is a way up to the command deck but only coglings would want to try it. Those areas are probably unpopulated.

"Off to the right is a storage area and an elevator. If it still works it would take us up to the slums on top. I don't think it stops on any command levels but we could probably force it to stop and cut a hole."

Namfoodle does not hear anything, beyond the general noise. There are some more slimy foot prints but it's hard to make out which way they came, and which way they are going.

Connaught also does not hear anything. With the main engine offline it is much quieter than normal but other than that, it's just the hum of various machines. Some are winding down. It can take days for all the systems on Neddirpik to stop.

Mark Charke
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

"Unless someone needs to get something from their quarters or the coglayer's guild, I think we should head right. The sooner we can get to the controls, the better."
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Namfoodle pipes up "I need to get something from quarters, let's go there first." Huginn flaps his wings and caws in agreement.
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod has his gear, so he's happy to take point with his steam power in any direction
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

You guys lead the way.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

One Room, One Less

Music
Getting to Namfoodles quarters is not very hard. Remember that tiny little room? It's still there. It seems someone left the door locked and the room has not been disturbed since. Everything is exactly as you left it, including oil stains on one of the tiny little bunks.

Hammer stands in the hallway waiting while you collect your gear. He looks left, he looks right, he looks left... he curses under his breath. Hammer staggers to the door, eyes closed. Two green tears streak down his face from those closed eyes.

"Found the basilisk." He jokes.

Its not great light comming from the room but you can see his face starting to change. His eyebrows get softer, turning to liquid and fade from brown into a dark green color and then disolve into green smears on his face. The green slowly creaps out from his eyes in all directions across his face.

"It's time for you folks to go." He mutters. "I'm going to play me a game called kill the basilisk before I die."

Hammer draws his sword. His eyes flicker open and they are transparent green orbs. He blinks. "Reminds me of the borg."

Something large slithers in the hallway. You have a number of options.

If you fight your way past the basilisk you can get to the guild hall and beyond that the food court. Yeah I didn't think you'd do that either.

You can still climb up through the machinery to the command deck. Dangerous but it gets you to the main controls.

There is still the storage area and elevator that should take you up to the slums on the roof.

You can also climb down the main ladderway, or through the ventilation, back down into the legs and down to the mechbays below.

Between you and the command deck should be an armory. You've no idea what condition it might be in but it might be a good spot to go.

Also, it seems some of your bunkmates, who (cough) vanished left the following items, nicely labeled.

1. 10 Potions of cure light wounds (1d8+1).
2. 1 wand of lightning bolt 7th level, 10 charges remaining.
3. Scroll of... ...looks like teleport but it might be another spell.

Music
The Long Awaited Experience Request
At this point in the game, everyone gains a level. Move on up to 6th level. If you need XP to spend on anything, give me a yell, otherwise you will earn enough XP to advance to your next level. If you want to take any unusual prestige classes or anything give me a yell, otherwise go ahead and update your characters.

MCDM
Last edited by Charke on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Hammer's End

Music

Mark Charke
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

I'm going to be at Gen-Con Indy in August, so if anyone is going it's a chance to meet.

Mark Charke
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

"Unless any one thinks they can help Hammer, I think we should head towards the command deck. May be we can find out whats going on from up there."

"Oh, and can anyone tell me what the hell a balisk is doing on board?"
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

"Yeah, lets head through the storage area to the elevator, then break through the wall when we get high enough to hit the armory."
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

"Unless any one thinks they can help Hammer, I think we should head towards the command deck. May be we can find out whats going on from up there."

"Oh, and can anyone tell me what the hell a balisk is doing on board?"
Have you ever seen Neddirpik's storage bays? There are hundreds of tons of stuff down there, mostly food supplies and coal, but there is plenty of livestock when they can get it. A basilisk... ...well it's a little odd and security shouldn't have let it on board - but hey, that's what bribes are for! Could you imagine what a zoo would pay for one?

Mark Charke
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Namfoodle grabs his handy haversack off of his bunk, and grabs anything else that looks useful and un-owned, and shoves it into the sack. Slinging the sack over his shoulder, he turns and sees that Hammer is having some... problems. "By The Glutton's maw!" he exclaims in fear. "Let's get out of here!"
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod scratches his head. Coglayer's guild is worth a check. Better ensure that no dangerous steam powers have been left active. If any have been left lying around, someone might get hurt!
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Found it!

After collecting your gear everyone takes a quick walk down to the Coglayer's Guild. You turn the corner and there, lying on the floor, are a half dozen small green basilisks. Hurray! You found the nest. Of course that cold feeling that hits you instantly right behind the eyes isn't very good. It's a wet slimy feeling and travels down into your stomach. You can smell and taste a wrotten plant odor.

Everyone needs to make a Fortitude saving throw DC 10. Failure won't turn you to slime because these are only young slime basilisks, but it will make you very sick.

And yes, there are a a number of odd gadgets lying around. Some are slimed. Others are undamaged. If you want components for anything, this is the place to pick them up.

Mark Charke
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

[fortitude save: (roll 9) + (2 base) + (2 con) = 13 ]

"AH! Why did we even go this way?! Those things are looking at me funny!"

[Initiative: (roll 3) + (3 dex) = 6 ]

Namfoodle readies himself to cast color spray at the hatchling slime basilisks if they do anything more than look at him funny.

"Next time, we stop and ask for directions!"

{color spray: 15' cone; Will save, DC 18; effects dependant on target HD}
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

Fort 20 + 4 = 24

"Why are you so jumpy Namfoodle, their just hatchlings. What could they do to us."

Connaught draws his rapier with one hand and starts to unclip a magnet bomb from his belt.

"It might be an idea to get rid of these before they do become dangerous. We can't leave them here to grow up and pray on the crew, if we even manage to get their mech back for them. You might all want to stand back a bit."

Connaught goes to set and drop the mine into the nest unless anyone interupts him. If any of the balisk try to attack he defends himeself. Once the mine is placed he retreats for cover from the blast.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Robert feels aslight wave of nausea that passes quickly (fort save 13+5=18 ).

Init roll: 11+6=17

Robert mves toward the entrance to the room, take a position to the right of the doorway, while activating his biofeedback power, and listening for anything moving outside (listen check 2+9=11).
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Fort = 7+5 = 12
Init = 12+ 3 = 15

Glod starts shooting at the slime basilisks with his steam gun

(+6, +7 if at less than 20 feet)

Attack 1 = 13 + 7 = 20
Attack 2 = 4 + 7 = 11
Attack 3 = 2 + 7 = 9
Attack 4 = 19 + 7 = 26
Attack 5 = 14 + 7 = 21

Glod is on the lookout for the following components: Animator, Bloodhound, Cauterizer, Discriminator and Spark Generator. He also will keep his eyes out for new and unusual steam powers that might have been abandoned as Nedderpick faltered.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Dead Basilisks

Namfoodle cast's color spray flooding the room with a chromatic rainbow. He manages to catch all of them in the area of effect and being so young they all slump to the floor unconcious.

Glod starts blasting steam into the room (3 of the attacks hit, roll up damage - they only have 10 hit points each).

If Connaught sets off the magnet bomb, everyone will have time to get away from the blast, but it might damage the room. If you do, roll up damage. The unconcious basilisks won't be able to fight back.

Please point out if you are going to make the obviously poor choice of touching any of the slimy green Basilisks or their soon to be remains. They are currently pretty helpless. Good old color spray.

If you want to jump ahead and head somewhere, just skip over the last few posts which provide a few destinations. If you want to go somewhere else, decide. Next post I'll make a list of anything in the Guild that you might want to pick up before leaving this area. You can also just stay here of course, especially if you want to cobble together some steam powers or do any work of that nature. The shop is well equiped but you won't be making any steamborgs here.

Mark Charke
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

If any significant period of time is to be spend in the room (atleast 15 minutes) Namfoodle will take the time to memorize some spells out of his recently re-aquired spell book.

(arcane casters can memorize up to 25% of thier spells per 15 minutes spent memorizing, and Namfoodle has 4 fresh slots out of 20 total, including cantrips through 3rd level)
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Once Glod and Connaught have finished off the basilisks, (assumig nothing decides to interupt) Robert says "lets take a short break, but not to long. We still need to get to the control room and see whats wrong with Nedderpik. Only take equipment thats immediately useful (functional devices, not components). I'll cover the entrance. Momma and daddy basilisk might come back." I will stay to one side of the doorway listening for anything moving outside the room.
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Damage: 17, 13 and 7

Glod suggests that Connaught wait as it will be easier to finish off the unconsious baselisks with the steam gun (so that no goo gets no where near anyone)
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Nothing Happens

Nothing happens for about 15 minutes. Glod can finish off the unconcious baselisks if you want. Robert does not hear anything moving around, just the background noise of some of Neddirpik's equipment. Namfoodle is able to rememorize his spells.

Basically if anything wants to get to you, they have to come down the corridor from one of two ways - unless they can get around in the air ducts or eat through the walls.... This is probably a safe place.

There are a lot of components sitting around the room. If you want to try cobble something together in the way of a steam power, or if you simply want to take supplies to build something, send me a list of what you are after.

(Sorry about the short post. I'll get something out larger soon! With Gen-Con right around the corner I'm doing a mad dash to get stuff done.)

Mark Charke
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

While nothing happens, Namfoodle memorizes Minor Image, Major Image, Displacement, and Shadow Binding.
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}

Return to “DragonMech: Destiny of Steam and Steel”