Chapter 3: Neddirpik

Forum for online DragonMech game "Destiny of Steam and Steel."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

"well, we can try to fight thru these guys or try to find another way up. What do you guys think?"
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Namfoodle wispers up to Glod "what's up there?"
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod peers into the room using his darkvision, informing Namfoodle of all he sees

Spot check - 17 + 2 = 19
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Destiny of Steam and Steel
Ooze

The ladders go through room above the mech bay up into the higher levels. The elevator stops at this level. This room was used to screen visitors. Most people were checked getting onto the mech but this area was to double check that you had a passport to stay on the mech and travel to the living quarters above the legs.

After watching for a while, the people in this room are moving. They are sort of shuffling back and forth from one foot to another in an eerie dance. They aren't going anywhere, just swaying back and forth on their feet. There is a leaking pipe which is providing the dripping sound. It is dripping clear water as far as you can tell.

The blinking light is an emergency exit light. It would have been difficult to see with these emergency lights and they probably would never have passed a d20 modern inspection but those types of safety standards have not been invented yet, lucky for the design team! So if you trip and fall and the 28 or so ooze zombies suck your brains out, there really isn't anyone to sue.

If you scrambled up the ladder you could probably get past his room but there are obvious risks. You don't know that is on the next level up. It should be some tight hallways and quarters for mechbay staff but until you get up there you can't see if they are occupied... There isn't a lot of room to move around up there. If the oozy's can climb you might find yourself in a tight area with 28 critters comming at you, but only one at a time.

The elevator door on this level is closed but slimed. At least one ooze zombie has a stamp in its hand. It's hard to see but it might be a "fail" stamp for those rejected from the upper levels. Some of the other ooze zombies have soft rectangular indentations where they have been struck by that stamp.

The smell, well, you had stopped noticing the smell. It smells like yogurt, lime flavor. Want a taste?

Mark Charke
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Hammer's Tricks

"There is another way." Hammer suggests.

He fishes around for a tool and removes a flat head screw driver. He fools with a pannel on the wall for some time, quietly. Eventually it becomes a group effort removing some twenty screws, one needing to be cut off because it had fused into place with the surrounding metal. Inside is a small crawlspace.

Music

"This will take us up behind the ladders. The trouble is, this isn't a crawlspace. Its quite dangerous. I noticed it while working maintenence on Neddirpik. Only the coglings go in places like this. It would mean navigating a gear forest. There aren't likely to be any ooze zombies, but if you slip the gears will cut you to peices before you hit the ground."

Music
"I'm not one for leaving enemies in my wake, however." Hammer draws the long curved blade. "So I'll take my chances with the dead."

He climbs the ladder. The blade flashes and the first of the zombies is dead before they are aware he is there.

A black crow sitting on the ladder in the darkness looks at the zombies and then looks at the crawl space. It hops up and down a couple of times and then drops off the ladder, spreads it's wings and disappears into the crawlspace.

Mark Charke
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod heads down the crawlspace, glad for his small dwarven stature. He's still rather nervous and seems to be navigating more using his steam power than his normal senses.
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

"Dark, small crawl space or ooze zombies? Think I'll take the fight. Wait up hammer."

Connaught draws his +1 rapier and follows hammer up the ladder.

Attack rolls

init 15 + 4 = 19

17 + 8 = 25
4 + 8 = 12
11 + 8 = 19
6 +8 = 14

AC 18 (19 against dodge target)
Last edited by sedm1549 on Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

"I'm with you, Hammer" As I move in I activate my biofeedback power (DR2/-) and switch my buzzaxe to 2-hand mode(2d8+7/x3) this means I can't use my shield and AC drops to 21. here's my init & 4 attack rolls:

Init 5+6=11
ATK#1 19+9=28
ATK#2 5+9=14
ATK#3 18+9=27
ATK#4 15+9=24

Also don't forget my combat reflexes allow me 3 Attacks of opportunity per turn.

If all hit I plan to start using combat expertise next post.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

"Hey, wait!" Namfoodle sees the aprty splitting up, and hesitates for a moment. He comes to a decision and climbs after Glod, muttering to himself. "We should atleast not go singly into danger."
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Two Fronts

Music
Glod crawls up the metal crawlspace. The checker plate siding makes it a little easier. The walls humm with vibrations from machinery working all around him. There is turning and grinding and air is being forced through the crawlspace by large fans...

Namfoodle crawls up behind Glod. They get about 20 feet up when a safety grate swings shut below them. It is there to prevent falling. Of course, this one is covered with dripping green slime.

Glod quickly unbolts a hatch above him and opens it. And there is the fan. It's about ten feet across and rotating about once every two seconds. The blades are old and rust can be seen on the edges. That's only tetinus. It would take hours to kill you. It's the blade motor, a good one, that would probably drive the blades right through flesh and bone.

If you want to proceed there is a Climb check, the results of which modify your Reflex Saving throw to avoid becoming two peices, or more.

Music

A curved blade, a straight blade and a mechanical saw

Hammer cleaves a wide arc and steps forward leaving room for Robert and Connaught.

Connaught finds that his rapier glides through his opponents disgustingly easy and they do not go down until their legs are cut from beneath them or their brain is well perforated. He puts down four green zombies and the floor starts to get thick with goo.

Robert's buzz axe is a little more effective but generates a spray of green rain that turns this little disco into a bath. The zombies do not soak up very much damage from this weapon before falling before it. He brings down 4 of the creatures in a messy way and as others move in to take their place, his attacks of opportunities cut down another 2.

Of the 28 green skinned zombies, you've taken 14 down. This could be a short fight.

Hammer carves through another four. Now for the bad news. (Where's my dice bag....hmmm four natural 1's and two 20's.). Robert takes the first hit. Emerald claws slash his arm (5 pts of damage and you must make a Fortitude saving throw) and a second attack catches him in the leg (another 3 pts of damage and a second Fortitude saving throw). Hammer and Connaught manage the first bit of fighting without any injuries.

The zombies just swarm at you mindlessly. They claw. They bite. They shuffle forward. They don't even seem to be interested in your brains, just any good bit they can get ahold of and rend and tear. Their armor class, is pretty dismal. In these tight conditions, with their soft oozy skin its like shooting ducks in a barrel, unfortunately Robert has felt the same effect used back on you guys.

Music
Comming Up
Hammer prepares a curative spell for Robert. We find out if Glod and Namfoodle get chopped up or get through the blades. The zombies probably go down and the results of Fortitude saving throws start rolling in.

Mark Charke
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

More slashing!

Post by Raptor »

Firstly Robert rolls 10+4=14 & 8+4=12 for Fort saves. Next since he hit with all his attacks he is going to start using combat expertise at 2 (+2 AC[23] -2 to hit [+7]). here are another 4 attack rolls:

#1 7=7=14
#2 17+7=24
#3 9+7=16
#4 5+7=12

also here are damage rolls, forgot last time:

#1 3+6+7=16
#2 8+6+7=21
#3 5+1+7=13
#4 5+8+7=20

Also wondering if you applied my DR2/- from biofeedback to the damage earlier (just checking).
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

connaught keeps on hacking away,

#1 11 + 8 = 19 Dmg 3 + 1 = 4
#2 16 + 8 = 24 Dmg 3 + 1 = 4
#3 9 + 8 = 17 Dmg 4 + 1 = 5
#4 19 + 8 = 27 Dmg 6 + 1 = 7
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

"Oh gods!" Namfoodle squeaks out, as his eyes widen at the sight of the fan. "Is there any way to stop that before we try to pass?"

[
knowledge(steam engines) +11,
knowledge(arcitecture & engineering) +11,
Craft(mechcraft) +7
I roll a 10 for a check to see if there's a way to stop it from here, plus whichever of the above modifiers is most appropriate... or a +5 if it's an flat int check.
I'm just checking if i know how the fan could be stopped, and if from here, I'm not trying to actually stop it... atleast, not yet.
]
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod attempts to disable the fan.

Roll 13 (+ 12 disable device) = 25
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Blood and Ichor

Music
Also wondering if you applied my DR2/- from biofeedback to the damage earlier (just checking).

No, I didn't. Please reduce each attack by 2 points of damage.

Green
These zombies are not very tough and each of Robert's hits fells one. Buzzsaws were just made for this sort of work I guess. Cognaught is fairing slightly less, felling only 3 with his 4 attacks. His narrow rapier isn't quite as effective as chewwing them appart at 400 RPM but it is getting the job done.

Cognaught picks up the hit this time, taking 4 pts of damage from a oozy clawing scratch on his leg.

Robert feels the faintest side effects of several nasty wounds infected with green stuff. Hammer casts cure light wounds healing 13 points of damage on Robert. Robert's wounds close but that "I've just contracted the flu" feeling in your stomach does not go away.

There are 7 remaining zombies and a pile of stinking ichor on the floor. Does the fact that its still writhing and bubbling, but not attacking, bother you?

Big Fan, Big!
Music
"Well, there IS an off switch somewhere. If you could remove that plannel, wielded to the wall there, we could cut the power supply. If I could stand right in the middle and remove the center cap I could unscrew the whole fan assembly. If I could move in syncronized motion with the fan, I could cut wield off the blades...." Thinks Namfoodle out loud.

Glod nods looking at the problem. He grabs a chunk of rebar and jabs it into the fan. There is a terrible scraping sound and the fan slows to a near stop.

"Also we could... ...oh never mind."

The Reflex saving throw DC to get past this particular obsticle has decreased substantially. However, this is a jerry rigged solution and that fan could start up again any second if the rebar slips.

Music
Hammer's black familiar Joey bursts up through the crawl space, turns slightly and passes between the barely moving fan blades and lands on a large power line above. He looks down and caws sharply as if scolding Namfoodle and Glod for not being equally as aerodynamic. In fact you can pretty much be absolutely certain that is what he means.

He hops up and down scolding and crowing and taps the power cord with his beak once, not really intending you to cut the power supply but rather that you properly learn to fly and catch up to him.

Joey

Mark Charke
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Namfoodle scrambles up past the fan.

[climb check: taking 10 +0 strength = 10
Reflex save: 7 + 1 base + 3 dex = 11]

Assuming He makes it past the fan, he's not going to mess with the power cord.

Huginn hops off of his shoulder and flaps up to join Joey sitting on the power line while Namfoodle is climbing past the fan.
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Connaught keeps on swinging.

#1 1 + 8 = 9 Dmg 2 + 1 = 3
#2 17 + 8 = 25 Dmg 3 + 1 = 4
#3 17 + 8 = 25 Dmg 1 + 1 = 2
#4 4 + 8 = 12 Dmg 1 + 1 = 2

Did I escape a fortitude save?? if not 11+3 = 14
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod climbs through the fan
[Climb Check. 15 + 2 (STR) -4 (Armor) = 13]
[Reflex Save. 10 + 4 (REF) = 14]

Once through, Glod disables the fan so that there won't be any issues should he and Namfoodle need to pass this way again.

[4 + 12 (Disable Device) = 16)
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

More Hacking!

Post by Raptor »

Since all previous attacks have connected, Robert increases his combat expertise to max of 3 (+3 AC=24 -3 to hit = +6). And here's 4 more attacks:

#1 12+6=18 to hit 8+3+7=18 dam
#2 7+6=13 to hit 6+8+7=21 dam
#3 7+6=13 to hit 2+5+7=14 dam
#4 6+6=12 to hit 1+1+7=9 dam (yes I rolled snake-eyes! Doh!)

At least it wasn't a to hit roll. And I knew there was a potion I was forgeting when I equipped. Here's just hoping for a long incubation period.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Together

Music

Robert grinds the air with his buzzaxe, cleaning gore off it. Hammer flicks his sword and drops it back into it's sheath. Connaught whips his rapier which hardly collected any gore. The fight is over.

The crow and the raven crow down at Namfoodle and Glod. Some fly. Some climb.

"We should go."

Up
Robert, Hammer and Connaught continue up the ladders for some time without incident, while Namfoodle and Glod climb in the air duct, communicating back and forth by banging on the wall.

Several levels up Robert spots a green foot print about a foot across with three toes.

"Basilisk" Hammer hisses.

This area is an intersection of several large corridors, perhaps ten feet wide and high that are used for moving cargo.

"Caw?" Complains Joey, on the other side of a grate wielded shut.

Namfoodle and Glod are also on the other side of the grate. You just need to get through it to get back to the rest of the party. You could cut through or explore to try find an access hatch.

Listen checks, all around, are appropriate at this point.

MCDM
Last edited by Charke on Wed May 17, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Five and Two Birds

Image[/img]

Mark Charke
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Robert switches his buzzaxe back to 1-handed mode and opens his shield.
Listening for any trouble(3+9=12 listen check), he asks Hammer "you know Nedderpik best, which way should we go?".
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

{
Listen check : 16 -1 (wis) 15

search check : 2 + 5 (int) 7
}

Namfoodle looks around quickly for an access hatch of some sort.
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

listen check

rolled 7 + 2

"Robert, do you think you could cut them away out?"
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Listen Check (Roll 14 + 10) = 24

Glod gets out his tools and examines the grate to see if there is any elegant way of removing this barrier.

Disable Device (Roll 10 + 12) = 22

Return to “DragonMech: Destiny of Steam and Steel”