Moderators: DJ LaBoss, Harley Stroh

Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Chapter 3: Neddirpik

Post by Charke »

Destiny of Steam and Steel
Darkness

Music

Art from left to right: Namfoodle and familiar Huginn, Raptor, Cognaught with rifle, Hammer and Glod up top using his steam power.

"Where is our room in relation to the engine room? I want to get something I left there, if I can." Namfoodle comments.

Hammer points up. "Most living quarters are above the engine."

"And who's that over there?" Namfoodle asks.

"No idea."

(Unless anyone can make a Spot check DC 40 to recognize the man across the smokey room in almost complete darkness standing as mostly a silhuette while being sunblind from your own light.)

Glod waves a nervous greeting at the gentleman.

He waves back...

Mark Charke
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Since its so dark, I'm going to start 1 of my sunrods.
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod wanders across to the gentleman and says Hello.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

"Well, whoever that is, he doesn't appear to want to suck our brains out through our nostrils, let's go see who he is."

Namfoodle follows behind Orin by about 10 to 20 feet, looking around warily into the smokey darkness.
Namfoodle "Sparklediver" Raulnor
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

connaught waits near the entrence keeping an eye on the advancing party members flanks.

Spot 10, 18, 22.
Listen 21, 15, 10.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Ug

The slime covered creature lunges out at you, stalking forward with a gate much like a zombie...

...just a short post.

Mark Charke
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

"I take it back! Stay away from my nostrils!" Namfoodle shrieks, and runs back towards the entrance.

[ooc: I drop back 20 and punt... err, ready an action to cast mage armor if he/it/anything hostile comes within 20 feet of me]

--edit--

[initiative 5 + 3 = 8 ]
Last edited by Reese on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

connaught draws his +1 rapier and tries to move into a flanking position 20ft behind the slimey creature. He tries to stay in the shadows.

moves at 40ft (two 20ft move actions per round)
move silently 5+3-3 -5 = 0
Hide 14+3-3-5 = 9
Bluff 19-2 = 17 (to create a diversion to allow connaught to hide if needed, would slow connaught down to 20ft for first round)

If combat brakes out he moves as fast as possible (ignoring stealth) into a flanking position and starts swinging his rapier.

Init 1+4 = 5
Last edited by sedm1549 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

(Init roll 8+6=14) Robert charges at the creature, expending his psionic focus to use his Psionic Weapon feat (attack roll 16+2[charge]+9=27) (Dmg roll 10+5=15 slashing + 6 psionic dmg {2d6 psionic weapon feat}).
If it attempts to move past me toward the others I have 3 attacts of opportunity available (combat reflexes).
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Options

Music
Robert cuts it down quickly. The creature gurgles and bubbles on the floor, disolving into a dark liquid. Althought Cognuaght is ready but the fight is over, he remains hidden. Namfoodle remains ready to cast mage armor.

Beyond the creature is the ladders heading up. They appear to be intact but greasy as always - even despite the many requests to clean them up.

There is a hall leading into crew quarters on this level. There is an office in there for the quartermaster of the mechbays. He is the fellow in charge of parts and the rental of bays.

The mechbays are a huge open area. If any of you have a mech, it is in this leg. If any of you don't have mechs, don't bother lookin for them (cough). There may be functional mechs in this area. Its hard to see.

There are the elevators. A dull green diamond of light indicates that emergency power is opperating. The elevetors might be functional. You know there is a panel on the wall with knobs and levers for controlling the elevators. Anyone higher up in the mech can overide the controls of anyone lower in the mech with the bridge having ultimate authority. A system of regulations prevented this from being a problem during normal opperation.

There is a large open circular opening behind you, the way you came in. There is a still a little smoke comming off the hot metal where you torched through it.

The liquid surging in the large fleshy veins sounds almost like a heard beat, like a pulse.

Mark Charke
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Robert take 2 full-round actions to regain his psionic focus (DC20 Concetration check), (first roll 3+9=12, 2nd roll 18+9=27). THen he says "We should see if they've got the parts to finish repairing Hemisphere at the quartermaster's, first, before we get in any deeper"
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Namfoodle looks around nervously in case anything else comes charging out of the dark, steam fogged shaddows. "We're not going to be dragging any parts back to it if we're going to be doind any repair work. I think we should make sure it's safe to bring it in here before we go looking for stuff that we might not be able to use," he suggests with just a hint of fearful whine in his voice.
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

Robert asks "Hammer, do you know exactly what parts Hemisphere needs, and whether the mechbay quartermaster would have them? We could get them so Spatz and Crench can work on the Mech while we're in here, but I don't want to waste time if we can't get them here.".
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod thinks for a while about which parts are needed to repair Hemisphere II

14+ Craft(Mechcraft) +23) = 37
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

A voice from the shadows

"Why don't we try to find a working mech to ferry parts to hemisphere. I don't think the refugees would be too happy to see hemisphere leave them. Also bringing it here could put our only refuge at risk, if this thing can take over Neddirpik it might do the same to hemisphere."

"You never know, if we could draw the menace stalking Niddirpik in to the mech bay, a working mech could drastically even up the odds"

"By the way, what the hell was that?!"
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

"Thats a good question, Connaught" Robert says, as he moves to examine the creature that attacked them. "While I'm checking it out, why don't you see if there are any mechs left in the bay."
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

"will do." Connaught activates a sun rod and walks out into the mech bay in search of a ride.
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

"Huh! well, if green slime covered brain sucking zombies suck your brains out through your nose and kill us all, don't come crying to me!"
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Sun Rod

Music
There is a lot of green in the mechbay. The walls are splattered with green slime and those fleshy veins branch out into smaller veins that are into everything.

Robert asks "Hammer, do you know exactly what parts Hemisphere needs, and whether the mechbay quartermaster would have them? We could get them so Spatz and Crench can work on the Mech while we're in here, but I don't want to waste time if we can't get them here.".

"Much of it is armor right now. Some custom parts have to be created. I don't think it would be worth it to try move parts out of here right now. I'm not sure I'd want those parts in the mech." Hammer says.

"Why don't you see if there are any mechs left in the bay." Robert suggests.

"Will do." Connaught activates a sun rod and walks out into the mech bay in search of a ride.

DM's Note: If any of you have mechs purchased as part of your background - they are here.

There are no functioning mechs. Everyone who fled took any functional mechs already. There are tons of parts but everything has been touched by green.

"By the way, what the hell was that?!" Connaught says.

Hammer activates an electric light and stoops down to looks at the corpse.

"Ensign Masterson. He was a tech here. He still has his name tag. His flesh is almost transparent. He was being transformed. One of these isn't very dangerous but there could be a lot."

Hammer looks at the ladder that goes up dozens of levels past places where thousands lived a short time ago.

"Huh! well, if green slime covered brain sucking zombies suck your brains out through your nose and kill us all, don't come crying to me!" Namfoodle offers.

"We should get to the kitchen. Green slime shares certain properties with slugs. They both hate salt." Hammer offers.

During his explorations Connaught finds a mech that is overgrown with green stuff. The green strands are quivering slightly. It isn't a very big mech. It looks more humanoid covered in the viney green material.

Mark Charke
Raptor
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Raptor »

"Sounds like a good idea, Hammer. Anything that can give us an advantage will help even the odds we'll probably be facing,"
Reese
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Reese »

Namfoodle tries to remember if he's ever read anything on green slime.
[Knowledge(arcana) check: 15 +11 = 26, if knowledge(arcana) will cover anything about this type of slime]
{Wounds -12; HP = 11/23}
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

"The odds depend on where we go and how many have been turned. We want to avoid large open areas where there could be hundreds of them."

[Knowledge(arcana) check: 15 +11 = 26, if knowledge(arcana) will cover anything about this type of slime]

Crack the Monstrous Manual and look up green slime. Anything listed there is what you know with a 26. This is a new variant on green slime and you will have to learn how it works as the adventure proceeds. I think you already have enough information to get a pretty good idea of how it's functioning.

Mark Charke
sedm1549
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by sedm1549 »

"Lets go, I was feeling peckish any way. As we have lights Robert, why don't you lead and I'll cover the rear."
Orin
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Orin »

Glod stays towards the front, offering his look and maps steam power device when needed to look around corners that might offer nasty surprises.
Charke
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Charke »

Look and Maps

Glod creeps the up the ladders and pauses. The room above you full of creatures. They aren't moving. There is an odd drip, drip, drip. Its quite dark. A blinking light at the far end of the room is the only illumination. If they are moving it could be hard to tell.

The room is about two hundred feet above the mech bays. There is room for everyone on the ladders, and then some. There are safety cages around the ladders but it makes for a poor combat environment. Hammer's long sword is useless on the ladders as are any medium sized weapons. Once you get up into the room, it would be better but it could get busy up there.

Mark Charke

Return to “DragonMech: Destiny of Steam and Steel”