How big is Etherspace?

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

How big is Etherspace?

Post by Goblin »

Okay, as i understand it, humankind create domains inside Etherspace and we called it, Etherscope. Each domain has its own property and design.

So 2 etherscope cities... London and Paris. Let' say a rider goes from one to the other in Etherspace. Is the dimension or distance.. the same as Prime Reality? I know it doesn't matter, since some scope rider can control their avatar to go really fast.. am i right?
The Third Man
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by The Third Man »

Etherspace is big... no bigger than that... really, really big.

Seriously, once you're outside of the Scope and into open Etherspace the concepts of distance and velocity have little meaning; "skill" becomes the biggest factor in how long a trip takes. (Don't think too hard about it, it only attracts the demons. :) )

Also, a domain (even a national domain) is not necessarily analogous with the location of its port(s) on Earth. Again, it goes back to the whole hyperspace thing. Dialling up a domain on a portable scope point is like using the FAT to find a file on your hard drive - where it's stored ("where" the domain is) isn't important.
Goblin
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Goblin »

don't they put in magnetized iron to build these Etherscope cities?
it's hard for me to visualized.
Ken Hart
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Ken Hart »

Nope, the Scope cities are marvels of Scope programming. They "feel" real to the avatars, just as the avatars' own clothing, weapons, and so forth do. No physical (i.e., Prime Reality) materials are used in the construction. In fact, it's impossible to transfer a physical substance from Prime Reality to the Etherscope (or vice versa) without some top-secret, state-of-the-art technology -- which figures into the first adventure in the core rulebook.

--Ken
DCC, DragonMech, Etherscope editor
Writer: "Madness at the Mutilated Oak," DCC #48: The Adventure Continues;
DCC #52: Chronicle of the Fiend

"It really is the height of pessimism to have a hat lined with chain mail." --Mrs. Peel

Return to “Etherscope”