Why is Search only for Scoundrels?

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

Hearse
Gongfarmer

Why is Search only for Scoundrels?

Post by Hearse »

The unavailability of Search as a class skill except for whatever Fast analog exists in a given d20 system has been a pet peeve of mine. It seems to me that a case can be made for it being class skill for the Pursuer (Dedicated) class, given some of the character concepts that fit the class.

In Etherscope, for example, a detective-type character logically fits into the Pursuer class, especially given that Investigate is a class skill. If you read the Investigate skill description, it says "you generally use Search to discover clues and Investigate to analyze them." How many clues is a Pursuer likely to find if they have to spend 2 for 1 and are limited to half the max ranks of a class skill? (That's not meant as a snide rhetorical question, I actually mean it as a literal mechanics question, since I'm not certain what general clue-finding DCs are)

In D&D, rangers gets a break of sorts, since they are usually searching for a trail while tracking and Track allows the use of Survival instead of Search. In Etherscope, this also applies to those pursuers who are meant to be hunters, etc. Perhaps there should be a Cluehound feat that allows a PC to use Investigate instead of Search when looking for clues?

House rules can accomodate anything, of course, but I thought I'd put it out there to see if the designers or community have thoughts on the matter.
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

We ummed and ahhed a bit over whether to gove pursuers access to Search or not. It does make sense, but felt it was too often used as a "thief skill" and not enough as a more general skill to be fully suitable for pursuers. Plus the original pursuer we designed was far and away the best of the six classes (probably becuase its the class both Nigel and myself would probably most likely play), so we didn't want to give it too much extra.

Ben
Hearse
Gongfarmer

Post by Hearse »

Thanks, Ben. yeah, when I was thinking about it before posting, I realized that it would be lame if a pursuer is finding all the traps, secret compartments, and whatnot that are more in tune with the traditional scoundrel role. My personal Etherscope situation is somewhat mitigated by the fact that certain later classes, such as the Psychic Investigator (or is it Detective?) get Search.

My short trem concern was that my PC would miss a lot of DC 15+ clues in the early levels, but I don't know how frequent DC's that high are encountered in, say, the first 6 levels.

Return to “Etherscope”