Challenge Ratings in the Scope

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

MidmoSatyr
Ill-Fated Peasant

Challenge Ratings in the Scope

Post by MidmoSatyr »

Two questions one easy, one...weird.

1st question. Would you automatically consider challenges in the scope at a low risk, since, although the combat maybe hot and heavy, it USUALLY doesn't cause the characters terminal harm? So that would apply, if I'm remembering correctly, the 1/4 CR adjustment?

Second, is it possible for an Etherdemon to eat someone's brain from the scope? I sort of ::cough:: already did it to an NPC and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on it. The monster consumed someone's scope avatar and when the rest of the people jacked out the guy was dead, an autopsy later revealed his brain had been removed... sort of gross but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

David
Etherphreak
I got nothin'
The Third Man
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Challenge Ratings in the Scope

Post by The Third Man »

MidmoSatyr wrote:1st question. Would you automatically consider challenges in the scope at a low risk, since, although the combat maybe hot and heavy, it USUALLY doesn't cause the characters terminal harm? So that would apply, if I'm remembering correctly, the 1/4 CR adjustment?
Risk doesn't need to be physical. If failure in a Scope encounter would seriously inconvenience the PCs - cause social or financial harm, delay the PCs from getting further in the adventure, etc. - I would give full XP for overcoming it. You also don't want to punish PCs who are Scope-focused.
MidmoSatyr wrote:Second, is it possible for an Etherdemon to eat someone's brain from the scope? I sort of ::cough:: already did it to an NPC and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on it. The monster consumed someone's scope avatar and when the rest of the people jacked out the guy was dead, an autopsy later revealed his brain had been removed... sort of gross but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
You're the GM. I don't think that's too out of the realm of possibility, though; demons by their very nature do weird sh*t.

Return to “Etherscope”