British Army Special Forces

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

maded
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

British Army Special Forces

Post by maded »

So here's a question for those in the know. What are the branches of the British Army Special Forces that might be around in Etherscope?

There is the SAS in our own timeframe, but I'm not really all that aware of any other branches that might be in existence...
Garuda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: British Army Special Forces

Post by Garuda »

The two elite special forces regiments are the SAS and the SBS. As airpower in Etherscope is airship based I don't think an SAS would develop. But with the increased prominence of the naval power in Etherscope I would imagine that the Special Boat Services would definately exist.

The American equivalent to the SBS would be the Navy Seals.
'Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'. - Capt. E. Blackadder.
Malladin_Nigel
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: British Army Special Forces

Post by Malladin_Nigel »

Hi

The point about the SBS existing and a lack of an SAS is a good one. Generally however, since warfare tends to follow early twentieth century patterns, the role/need of special forces hasn't really developed, except in relation to scope warfare. The US is the most likely to have a few as they experiment with unconventional warfare to compensate for their military inferiority to the other two big powers. Etherboard riding US Ranger analogues are one I have developed conceptually for a military supplement. Further, special forces style of warfare is similar to the corporate raiding that occurs in the US, in which military units are often used by the corps that effectively control various military branches/units/bases. In Britain., like the rest of the world, elite units are generally more those with a tradition on the battlefield such as the Royal Marines, Ghurkas, Highlanders etc. Hope this helps.

Return to “Etherscope”