Anybody still playing Etherscope?

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

Garuda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Anybody still playing Etherscope?

Post by Garuda »

Anyone?

It's sooooooooooooo quiet.

Its quiet at the Malladin forum too.
'Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'. - Capt. E. Blackadder.
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Anybody still playing Etherscope?

Post by tadk »

I have been pretty absent online wise lately have to admit
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

Has there been any talk of a 4E Etherscope?
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by tadk »

I hope not personally
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

tadk wrote:I hope not personally
Then let the setting fade away instead of introducing it to the largest group of D&D players -4th Edition players. A few of the people in my gaming group thought Etherscope looked pretty cool, but we play 4E. *Shrugs
Garuda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Garuda »

xredjasonx wrote:
tadk wrote:I hope not personally
Then let the setting fade away instead of introducing it to the largest group of D&D players -4th Edition players. A few of the people in my gaming group thought Etherscope looked pretty cool, but we play 4E. *Shrugs
We've been playing a lot of 4th ed D&D at our club but its still receiving a mixed reception amongst the players.

4th ed is very video-gamey in its feel and I personally don't think this would work in Etherscope at all.
'Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'. - Capt. E. Blackadder.
DJ LaBoss
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DJ LaBoss »

I had to put my Eatherscope game aside for the playtest I'm running but I will pick it back up eventually.

Eatherscope rocks!

- LaBoss
nachtwulf
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by nachtwulf »

Just my opinion, but I don't think 4th edition D&D is the system for a continuation of Etherscope, much too combat- and miniatures- oriented, and not nearly role-playing.

(Oh, I feel a side note is in order to correct something said earlier. The largest documented number of players of Dungeons and Dragons were during early 2nd Edition era, that included most first and second generation players. The 3.x marketing schemes managed to alienate a lot of those founding players, who have since moved onto other game systems. And with shift in focus to a more miniatures-oriented video-game feeling play system have shifted many more players toward other companies systems as well. )
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

nachtwulf wrote:Just my opinion, but I don't think 4th edition D&D is the system for a continuation of Etherscope, much too combat- and miniatures- oriented, and not nearly role-playing.

(Oh, I feel a side note is in order to correct something said earlier. The largest documented number of players of Dungeons and Dragons were during early 2nd Edition era, that included most first and second generation players. The 3.x marketing schemes managed to alienate a lot of those founding players, who have since moved onto other game systems. And with shift in focus to a more miniatures-oriented video-game feeling play system have shifted many more players toward other companies systems as well. )
I definitely agree with you about 4th ed, but I think that, wilst 3rd ed might have lost a few players, many more came back to D&D through 3rd ed (like me), and it even gained players who'd never played any version of D&D before (like Nigel).

In my own experience I played 2nd ed AD&D from shortly after its release, but only stick with it for 3 years or so, during which time I matured from 16 to 19 years old and found other game systems which I felt provided a much greater ability for me to roleplay and create many and varied characters and settings that I felt D&D inhibited me from doing. With 3rd ed I felt D&D had finally learnt from the developments other game systems had made over the last 10 or so years and felt like a "proper" roleplaying game.

My problem with 4th ed is as follows: when it was being released a lot of people were saying things like "it's still D&D" and "we won't change the game from being D&D". What I wanted to hear them say, and what I don't think they have managed to achieve, is "it's still going to be a roleplaying game". I fell out with D&D during 2nd ed and never really gotback into D&D as such, I just got back into the D20 system.

Cheerio for now,

Ben
xredjasonx
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by xredjasonx »

It still is very much the role-playing game it always was if not more-so. We are actually able to do more things during our game sessions, including social rp'ing because the sessions aren't being taken up by super long combat battles the way they were with 3rd Edition.
nachtwulf
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by nachtwulf »

I'm not getting into the whole "Is 4th D&D" Discussion, I've been around since the little brown book days. If you change the core of something, it ceases to be that something, plain and simple. Slap whatever label you like on it... it doesn't make it so.

Regardless of what "IT" is, it's not Etherscope. Maybe Pathfinder might work? (can we even mention that here?)
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by tadk »

I love the entire Etherscope setting.
I am a rabid fan and plan to get everything for it, regardless of time or system.
Ceronomus
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Dungeon Games - Estero, FL

Post by Ceronomus »

Actually, I'm running it for the very first time, tomorrow (Free RPG Day 2013) at my FLGS. If it goes over well? Who knows?
allowind
Gongfarmer

Post by allowind »

Yes, I am.

I am from Moscow, Russia, and very interested in Etherscope. The conception is quite interesting but the Soviet Russia is merely touched. We are trying to create playable campaign including the German-occupied zone in the western part of Russia and will be glad to get your ideas if you have any.

Best regards,
Alexey
herecomethejudge
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by herecomethejudge »

Zombie thread, but it's on sale for $3 right now at DTRPG, so I'm picking it up, plus modules for $1 each.

Return to “Etherscope”