Women in Etherscope

Forum for Etherscope, our new RPG of cyberpunk Victoriana.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, malladin_ben, Malladin_Nigel

Mannak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Women in Etherscope

Post by Mannak »

I wonder what are the roles of Women in the Etherscope world? Do women have more rights than they did in the 19th century? (I wonder there was a movement that occured similar to own history before the 80s?)

thoughts?
malladin_ben
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by malladin_ben »

We left the role of women deliberately vague, so that people could do with it what they wanted.

Women's suffrage was largely a middle class movement, so it could well be possible that women of a certain class had the vote despite the men of lower classes not haiving it. Similarly, if you want to play up the victorian themes more you can have women filling in a more "traditional" role in society.

When I run a game myself, I tend to lean towards the Cyberpunk and so I have a number of strong female characters in important roles, particualrly as PCs.

However, I play in a game which assumes a more victorian stand-point on women and appreciate the roleplaying opportunities that offers, particualrly for the female characters in the party.

It's up to how you want your game to work, is the bottom line.

Ben
yperiwn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by yperiwn »

The woman suffrage was a social result of the wws which never happened. I would expect that the social place of women hasn't changed much and is still of victorian age standards. Of course the setting provides lots of space for various cultural backrounds and one could easily say that the lemurians were a matriarchy, for instance.
"Do androids dream of ellectrical sheep?"
Philip K. Dick
Mannak
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re:

Post by Mannak »

malladin_ben wrote:When I run a game myself, I tend to lean towards the Cyberpunk and so I have a number of strong female characters in important roles, particualrly as PCs.

However, I play in a game which assumes a more victorian stand-point on women and appreciate the roleplaying opportunities that offers, particualrly for the female characters in the party.
I think I mostly prefer to have strong female characters in both settings even if the Etherscope society is sexist doesn't mean they have to abide to it (and they can rebel against it.).

Return to “Etherscope”