Please get word of this post around!!!

A forum for discussing how to design adventure modules. This will provide a place to follow up on conversations at our Gen Con seminar on adventure writing.

Moderator: finarvyn

Mojo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Please get word of this post around!!!

Post by Mojo »

I am taking my first stab at creating a fantasy RPG called Homebrew in a Box. I am looking for input on what will get me into trouble and what will not. I am disabled and really want to help introduce new folks to the hobby I love and maybe make a couple of cents along the way. (though I know that I would not make a lot of money I do it for the passion I have for RPG's). I am an original red box guy, but love to play 2nd edition too. I found that much of what I was going to use is already in use with DCC. I was both happy and sad the day I discovered DCC. I guess great minds think alike, just Mr. Goodman's is faster than mine. LOL!! Anyway wanting to make the Delve Adventures (modules) for my game be able to fit DCC as well. I figure as long as folks are enjoying the same hobby I love then that is the most important thing. Anyway really need to talk to anyone that would know what is OK and what is a no go to use in my Homebrew in a Box.

Thanks,

Mojo
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Please get word of this post around!!!

Post by GnomeBoy »

Your questions is really... vague...

Can you be more specific?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Mojo
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mojo »

In my Homebrew In A Box, I am currently using some of the same mind sets as what is used in DCC, and I am wanting to make sure that I am not going to get into trouble with copyright stuff. For example, Dwarfs can smell treasure, (If this is a problem I have plans to reword this to detect treasure), Magic works much the way it does in DCC as well, for there is a price to pay when using something that powerful. The only difference is that let's say you want to roll up a caster. It is not just that simple in my game. Because when you roll up a character in my game, you roll attributes 3D6 for all the basics plus Luck and Comeliness. If you do not roll high enough to be a caster, then the character gains the chance to plead with either a deity or avatar to grant them the ability. This allows the character to raise only the prime attribute (this being INT) to the bare minimum to be a caster, and they are called Warlocks for they have to brand the mark of the god or gods they have made deals with into their body. Not only low numbers, but also race plays a hand as well. You determine your race with a dice roll, and there are race restrictions to what classes are allowed. So if you want to be a caster, but you rolled a dwarf who can not be a wizard, then you would besiege the gods and become a warlock. Once your character is a caster be it a wizard or warlock, cleric, whatever, and you fail in making your spell roll (which is to determine if you cast the spell properly) then either you gain disfavor with the deity or if you are a natural born wizard then you must deal with the consequences which could be anything from losing the spell forever to taking damage, to going mad each spell has a list of bad things that could happen. The caster rolls either a D6 or a D4 or a D8 depending on the spell to see what happens. If the power is from a deity then if it is a warlock they are basically tortured, while if it is a cleric they are tortured and take penalties to their spell rolls until they lose their powers. At which point they have to quest to regain favor to restore their faith. So using this example would this get me in trouble with copyright issues? I am still trying to understand the whole OGL and what it means.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

As I understand it:

Ideas cannot fall under copyright -- the expression of those ideas can.

The idea of bargaining with higher powers to acquire power for your self is something anyone can play with -- exactly how you set that up with game mechanics is the minefield you're dancing in. Warlocks in the past three or four editions of D&D have been described as bargaining with powerful beings to gain power for themselves. DCC RPG does the same thing, but in a different way mechanically to those other examples.

You say you're working on wrapping your head around the OGL -- hopefully you're also working on understanding the SRD. I haven't done a search on it, but I'd imagine there are resources out there that can help you understand those documents and how you're allowed to use them.

As for not violating Goodman Games' copyright: Don't do stuff the way they do it. Do it your own way. That should be safe. Things that are straight out of the SRD anyone can use (if you're following the OGL). Extra rules you tack on to the SRD to make your own system should be of your own invention.

/2¢
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Adventure Design”