Active games

A forum to discuss the Eldritch Role-Playing System.

Moderators: finarvyn, dancross

dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Active games

Post by dancross »

If there are any active games out there, I'd love to hear about them. I still watch this forum.
cogitare
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Active games

Post by cogitare »

I do not currently have a game of Eldritch running but I hope to have in the near future.

I will use the rules in a sort of steam punk fantasy setting which is based on a swedish game actually. So I will "port" the Eldritch rules to fit what I need from that setting.

I do not think it will be all that much since most is covered in the existing rules. I will have to add/create a few new races, most likely a few Advantages/Disadvantages (but I'll take that as I go along with creating NPCs and PCs so I create what they need so to speak).

There is a scribe mage in that game which I might have to tweak the magic system a bit for (which will be added on top of the changes I've made to the magic system to make it a cooldown system instead of point based so a mage will never cease to be a mage due to lack of slots/pool/points but might have to resort to lesser magic if he utilizes powerful spells early in combat or in the scene).

Beside this I'll just use the setting as is which I am fairly familiar with :)

Cog.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

Let us know how it goes! I enjoy hearing feedback from groups playing with the ruleset.
cogitare wrote:I do not currently have a game of Eldritch running but I hope to have in the near future.

I will use the rules in a sort of steam punk fantasy setting which is based on a swedish game actually. So I will "port" the Eldritch rules to fit what I need from that setting.

I do not think it will be all that much since most is covered in the existing rules. I will have to add/create a few new races, most likely a few Advantages/Disadvantages (but I'll take that as I go along with creating NPCs and PCs so I create what they need so to speak).

There is a scribe mage in that game which I might have to tweak the magic system a bit for (which will be added on top of the changes I've made to the magic system to make it a cooldown system instead of point based so a mage will never cease to be a mage due to lack of slots/pool/points but might have to resort to lesser magic if he utilizes powerful spells early in combat or in the scene).

Beside this I'll just use the setting as is which I am fairly familiar with :)

Cog.
cogitare
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by cogitare »

There's been a change of plans and I will use the Eldritch rules to play a three weekend campaign in the Dark Sun setting.

I have started to stat up the races which is progressing nicely. It is fairly easy when it comes to Abilities but I have to create some new Advantages to capture some race-specific stuff from the Athas setting (Elf Run (which might be a specialty for Speed perhaps?) and Dwarf Focus for example).

One thing that I am currently thinking about is how to handle large player characters (both the Half Giant and Thri Kreen of Athas are much bigger than ordinary humansized humanoids). Any thoughts there?

I have created a new Advantage called Great Size which changes the Toughness formula a bit so you use Endurancex3(instead of 2) + Resistance but Agility is only counted as half for the Dodge ADP in order to balance it out a bit.

Cog.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

cogitare wrote:There's been a change of plans and I will use the Eldritch rules to play a three weekend campaign in the Dark Sun setting. I have started to stat up the races which is progressing nicely. It is fairly easy when it comes to Abilities but I have to create some new Advantages to capture some race-specific stuff from the Athas setting (Elf Run (which might be a specialty for Speed perhaps?) and Dwarf Focus for example).
That's cool! Creating new Advantages and Specializations and Masteries to fit that setting should be fairly intuitive. I'd say the system almost screams for that kind of customization.
I have created a new Advantage called Great Size which changes the Toughness formula a bit so you use Endurancex3(instead of 2) + Resistance but Agility is only counted as half for the Dodge ADP in order to balance it out a bit.
That sounds reasonable enough. You also might want to add +1 Die-Rank bonus to Strength for the Advantage, thereby increasing the ability to lift and carry.
cogitare
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by cogitare »

dancross wrote:That's cool! Creating new Advantages and Specializations and Masteries to fit that setting should be fairly intuitive. I'd say the system almost screams for that kind of customization.
I agree!

This is my version of an Athasian Dwarf.

Dwarf (9)

Dwarves are stout, short and stocky creatures. Most of them have little if any bodily hair and are hardy bunch. As in most other fantasy settings they are renowned craftsmen.
When a Dwarf has set his mind on something there is little anyone can do to sway him.
Minimum Ranks: Handicraft (d6, 2), Melee (d6, 2), Resistance (d6, 2), Willpower (d6, 2)
Advantages: Focus (1)

Focus (1 - 5)

Primarily Dwarves of Athas are renowned for their single mindedness but also when they set their minds to something they can accomplish great deeds.
Cost: 1 (dwarf)/2 (non dwarves, if allowed) per step
Effect: Whenever the Focused character makes a die roll which is aligned or is directly impacting his Focus he will get to add a die based on the level of Focus.
1 - d4
2 - d6
3 - d8
4 - d10
5 - d12
Focus may be changed only once per game session. The Focus must be fairly narrow in scope but the final arbiter of either the formulation of the Focus and if a roll is impacted by Focus is the Game Master.
Note that Focus is never added or taken into account for any calculations within the game (such as ADP or PDP).
This breaks the rule that only 3 dice may be rolled for an Ability.
I have a first draft for Half Giant as well :)
dancross wrote:That sounds reasonable enough. You also might want to add +1 Die-Rank bonus to Strength for the Advantage, thereby increasing the ability to lift and carry.
Yeah, I might just add that to the Advantage as well. +1 Die rank at which level? Basic tier? Should it have some effect if there is spill over, ie. Basic Feat of Strength at 1d12 already.

Cog.
dancross
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by dancross »

cog wrote: Yeah, I might just add that to the Advantage as well. +1 Die rank at which level? Basic tier? Should it have some effect if there is spill over, ie. Basic Feat of Strength at 1d12 already.
yes, to basic tier. Then +1 if already at d12. That should work.

Return to “Eldritch Role-Playing System”