Lions in 9A-4

Forum for all things Castle Whiterock!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

mirv120
Gongfarmer

Lions in 9A-4

Post by mirv120 »

So my party just got severely beat down by the desiccated lions in room 9A-4. They can really do a D6 of Con damage on every hit with no save? That seems a bit overpowered to me especially since they can make 5 attacks a round! My DM and I debated whether there's a Fort saving missing in there. The other thought was that maybe we're unaware of a common spell that gives immunity to dehydration. We wanted to check what the Deluxe Book of Templates said for the template but alas it's not available through DriveThruRPG that I can see!
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Lions in 9A-4

Post by arlanni »

Hi Mirv120,

I designed the dessicated lions for that encounter. IIR, I used the template as described from the deluxe book of templates. Unfortunately, my copy is packed in a box somewhere, as I'm in the middle of a game room transition.

Does anyone have access to the book or pdf that they can confirm the d6 Con damage for each attack, and possibly check if there is a Fort save?

If a don't see a reply in a few days, send me an IM, and I'll spend some time digging out my copy.

My other tought would be to limit the d6 Con damage to just once per round, regardless of the total number of hits. This is similar to a vampire's energy drain attack (see MM). which is a bummer when you desgin a vampire monk :roll: .

arlanni
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

It takes a Fort Save DC 16* to avoid the Con damage. It looks like that bit of the template got left out of the CW manuscript.

Also, 5 attacks per round??? I count two claws and a bite. If both claws hit, there's a chance of Rending, but I don't think a Rend attack should count as an extra attack for the Con damage -- it's an extension of both claw attacks hitting. So it looks to me like 3 attacks per round, with a chance of a "critical"/extra damage if both claws hit against the same target.

* 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha Mod
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
arlanni
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by arlanni »

Thanks Gnomeboy! If you make it GenCon in 2012, I owe you a frosty one!

The Fort Save sounds balancing, and I agree that the rend SA should not inflict the extra Con damage (unless the PCS are breezing through this section of the adventure; then it calls for a houserule!).

I hope your gang is enjoying their time in the depths of CW!

arlanni
mirv120
Gongfarmer

Post by mirv120 »

arlanni wrote:Thanks Gnomeboy! If you make it GenCon in 2012, I owe you a frosty one!

The Fort Save sounds balancing, and I agree that the rend SA should not inflict the extra Con damage (unless the PCS are breezing through this section of the adventure; then it calls for a houserule!).

I hope your gang is enjoying their time in the depths of CW!

arlanni
Thank you both for your help! That Fort save made all the difference (and also got house-ruled that rend didn't cause extra Con damage). We managed to clear the rest 9A with the added touch of using the blade barrier to destroy the canopic jars. We've really been enjoying Castle Whiterock.

Return to “Castle Whiterock”