Alternate Corruption Rule for ME

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Alternate Corruption Rule for ME

Post by fjw70 »

I was looking at the new Middle-Earth RPG (The One Ring) by Cubicle 7 and I had an idea. If you were going to run a ME campaign (in the time frame between The Hobbit and LOTR) with DCC rules you could replace the corruption rules with rules for attracting attention from Sauron (i.e. Sauron sends someone to kill you) or becoming his servant (e.g. a lesser Nazgul-type being that serves Sauron). The latter could be a shadow point system kind of like the dark side point system in the various Star Wars RPGs.

Just some thoughts.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Alternate Corruption Rule for ME

Post by GnomeBoy »

I think that's a cool idea that could be adapted to settings beyond Middle Earth. :D
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ducaster
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Athena Games Norwich.

Post by Ducaster »

+d14

Agree with Gnomeboy. This would make a great "Lesser" corruption result where the FOE of the Characters Patron takes notice to their power and takes steps that his rival doesn't gain too many powerful followers for example.

I am thinking of the old "disadvantage" you could opt for in Champions and similar Hero games Had. This was where your characters chosen arch Nemesis villain rolled a show up. So this noticed by a hostile power idea could be anything from a string of bad luck to a death squad of critters sent to ambush the Pc to outright confrontations between Patron's (with the PC in the middle!)
{Standard Disclaimer} If it was mentioned already and I missed it, please put this down to my advanced age and senility rather than discourtesy!
My DCC games work site is here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/?page_id=1869 Use my forum name here as the Password
Mutatis Mundi Game Cha sheet here http://www.dcc.aweninspired.com/wp-cont ... 3.4.18.pdf
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

An excellent suggestion. I remember from reading LotR that Gandalf wasn't lacking in power as much as hesitant to use it becasue of the fear of attracting Sauron's attention. A very solid detriment to blasting everything in sight, I'm thinkiing!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
fjw70
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fjw70 »

finarvyn wrote:An excellent suggestion. I remember from reading LotR that Gandalf wasn't lacking in power as much as hesitant to use it becasue of the fear of attracting Sauron's attention. A very solid detriment to blasting everything in sight, I'm thinkiing!
Yes that was part of my motivation.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Wow. That is a really cool application ...

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

A group I'm DMing now has made no less than three enemies now that could come back to haunt them. I think I need to do something like this to bring them back for a revenge attack.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
MrHemlocks
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by MrHemlocks »

fjw70 wrote:I was looking at the new Middle-Earth RPG (The One Ring) by Cubicle 7 and I had an idea. If you were going to run a ME campaign (in the time frame between The Hobbit and LOTR) with DCC rules you could replace the corruption rules with rules for attracting attention from Sauron (i.e. Sauron sends someone to kill you) or becoming his servant (e.g. a lesser Nazgul-type being that serves Sauron). The latter could be a shadow point system kind of like the dark side point system in the various Star Wars RPGs.

Just some thoughts.
Sounds like a great idea, but what do I know. My The One Ring order has still not arrived form Amazon.com. On a side not...look how nice that games maps look. They really bring the game alive!

Return to “DCC RPG General”