GM Screen

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Sizzaxe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

GM Screen

Post by Sizzaxe »

DCC RPG just cries out for an awesome GM screen. Any idea if this will be a proprietary project or third partied?
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: GM Screen

Post by moes1980 »

there are so many charts, im thinking of going with a binder with tabs that list each crit table, coruption table, devine disaproval, fumbles, and spell dualing charts, and MDoA guidelines. Then ill think about making a home made screen with combat mods, conditions for making moral checks, unholy turning table, weapon damage list, rules for falling damage, rules for death, rules for healing by resting, etc.

alot going on in this game, don't know if its possible to fit everything onto one screen but if it is that would be awsome
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I have an old 3-panel (6 faces landscaped) "build your own" GM screen from the folks that did SAVAGE WORLDS and that gives me room to work with. I put together a screen with some of my favorite charts and such for playtest purposes.

I need to tweak it a bit and am thinking of investing in the newer 4-panel (8 sides regular orientation). If there is interest I'll post something when I get it revised.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Sizzaxe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sizzaxe »

Have you ever seen Hackmaster's 32 page GM screen? You wouldn't think it's possible, but they did it, and did it well. You have to see it to get the idea, but something like that would work great for DCC's many tables and such.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I don't think we'll need 32 pages, but a judge's screen is definitely in the works.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
talmor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by talmor »

Harley Stroh wrote:I don't think we'll need 32 pages, but a judge's screen is definitely in the works.
Well, you may not need 32 pages...
Sizzaxe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sizzaxe »

talmor wrote:
Harley Stroh wrote:I don't think we'll need 32 pages, but a judge's screen is definitely in the works.
/quote]

Well, you may not need 32 pages...
:lol:
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

Sizzaxe wrote:Have you ever seen Hackmaster's 32 page GM screen? You wouldn't think it's possible, but they did it, and did it well. You have to see it to get the idea, but something like that would work great for DCC's many tables and such.
Yes, I have, own one :P Its like a dm screen with several "pages" that fould out, for those of you that don't know. I found it difficult to use all those folders because as soon as you expand them out you no longer have room behind your GM screen to do anything. The onlything I really liked on that screen was that you could writ on it with wet erase markers, and you could fold over flaps to access the d10,000 critical hit table.

I think I folder with tabs for easy and quick look up of information would work better (although, it probably would not be tht much quicker than just using the rulebooks index any way)

Maybe another solution is to offer double sided character sheets that have relevent charts and info per class on the back of them. Fighters and dwarves would have sheets with the MDoA, mages would have corruption charts and a space to write down infor for their familar, clerics could have the turn unholy chart, and they could all have their relevent crit tables, that way you would never really have to look anything up (assuming mages have printouts of thier spells). Then the Judges screen could have the fumble tables, combat modifiers, tables for spell duals, things like that.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Interesting that folks would bring up HackMaster -- if there was ever a table-intensive game, that would be the one. The DCC RPG may have lots of crit tables and spell tables, but overall the mechanics don't require that many at a time.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Sizzaxe
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sizzaxe »

Yeah, HM is awesome that way. Moreso HM4 than the new HMb; I don't see DCC needing anywhere near that much space. But to be a proper screen monkey I really gotta have a kewl screen 8)
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

I was going to work on one (I own the savage worlds customizable screen as well), but after reading harley's tips & tricks post, I think I'm going to play without a screen. There is an adversarial aspect to the DM screen that I've long wanted to try to do away with, and I think now is my chance to try it out.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
QuentinTheTroll
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by QuentinTheTroll »

Aplus wrote:I was going to work on one (I own the savage worlds customizable screen as well), but after reading harley's tips & tricks post, I think I'm going to play without a screen. There is an adversarial aspect to the DM screen that I've long wanted to try to do away with, and I think now is my chance to try it out.
Hold on there, peacenik. How can you crush your enemies and see them driven before you without a judge's screen to partially shield your evil?

Oh, I get it, you take the subtle route to defeating and humiliating your players. Let them think you are their "friend," a kindly guide through a realm of mystery, etc.

Then you betray them.

Clever.
:wink:
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Aplus wrote:I was going to work on one (I own the savage worlds customizable screen as well), but after reading harley's tips & tricks post, I think I'm going to play without a screen. There is an adversarial aspect to the DM screen that I've long wanted to try to do away with, and I think now is my chance to try it out.
Frank Mentzer does this beautifully. He let me sit in on one of his games for a bit. He had a sheet for monster stats, another for notes, and that was about it.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

He also has a neat little way of shielding his dice rolls with his hand when he wants to keep it a secret.

If nothing else, it's just a lot more comfortable for me, and I don't have to stand as much.

And yes, it can have the effect of lulling players into a false sense of security mwahaha.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

For me, the GM screen serves a few key roles:
1. It keeps important charts handy for my use
2. It hides my maps and notes from the players

I try really hard not to think of it as a shield between me and my players for much the same reason that others have mentioned -- I don't want to be seperated in a me-versus-them role but instead like to foster the attitude that we are collaborating on an adventure. Often, I will sit so that my screen is to my side, just so I can access it but so that it's not really between me and my group.

It's my job to toss obsticles in their way, but it's not my job to be mean and try to crush them. (I'm sure that QuentinTheTroll wasn't being serious. I was mostly responding to Harley's comments about Frank Mentzer.)
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

My name is GnomeBoy, and I use a GM screen, and roll in the open (sometimes).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

DM Screen free since, hmmm, the beginning, though I probably used as a teen because I didn't know better. Always played with minis and always found the screen removed the DM from the field of battle too much.

Return to “DCC RPG General”