Beginner DCC module to get the young'un involved in RPGs

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

koakawe
Ill-Fated Peasant

Beginner DCC module to get the young'un involved in RPGs

Post by koakawe »

Hello all.

I have been in RPGs (OD&D, AD&D, Dr. Who, Marvel, the espionage one, a gaslight Cthulhu, the space one with the needler guns, Shadowrun, etc.) since the 80's.
I threw them all out about 15 years ago when moving -including my original AD&D DM Guide with the Efreet on the cover.. D'ooh!

Anyway, I am looking to get the 7-year old & the SO into gaming to see how it goes.
I ran across the DCC system and thought it sounded cool. Reminds me of the old TSR Red Box days.

Is there a recommended module I can run for 2 - 4 novice players to see how they like it?
I can use that as a springboard to playtest the Beta but I would rather support Goodman Games and buy a couple of modules to get started.

Thanks!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Beginner DCC module to get the young'un involved in RPGs

Post by goodmangames »

Glad to hear you are recruiting!

I have found DCC RPG to be a lot of fun with kids. Both Harley and I have run a fair number of games featuring "grognards" and their kids. The kids love the funky dice -- the d16, d24, etc. And the simple, straightforward rules (class-as-race, roll-d20-and-score-high, etc.) make it easy for them to grasp.

This coming Saturday the 18th, we're giving away a free module at game stores nationwide for Free RPG Day! Hopefully a store near you is participating in Free RPG Day; you can find out at www.FreeRPGDay.com. That module includes a level 0-1 adventure, which is a great intro for the game. It also has a level 5 adventure for subsequent play.

Later in the year, when DCC RPG is officially released in hardback form, we'll have a whole slew of modules available. But for now the Free RPG Day one is the only option.

If you are one of the unfortunate souls to not have a local store participating in Free RPG Day, you will be able to buy the adventure online in the week following Free RPG Day. It will be available at RPGnow.com as a PDF (should be live on Wednesday, June 22), as well as in hard copy form from the Goodman Games web store.

Hope that helps!

Some other folks on the boards here may have other ideas for easily-converted mods from other systems...everyone, feel free to chime in!

Thanks,
Joseph
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Koakawe,

Welcome! Thank you for your interest.

If you have a classic that is close to your heart (Keep on the Borderlands and the Mentzer Keep/Dungeon from the DM's Red book spring to my mind) the conversion is pretty clean. Pencil in ascending AC, assume all the monsters have +0 Saves and you're 90% of the way there.

That said, a 7-year old doesn't need much more than a mysterious cave, a weird grotto w/ a magical pool, some minor beasties to whoop on, a rusted iron coffer with some treasure and a map to the real horde, and a large monster to flee from (only to return and beat down later).

When I run games for children it is so fulfilling ... their imaginations buy into the worlds in ways that we could only hope for. While we adults are gaming hp and dice odds, for them it is *real*.

Have a great time! That first death is going to be a heart breaker.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
koakawe
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by koakawe »

I was actually considering the venerable "B2" -The Keep on the Borderlands- just because it is the classic starting module.
I will look into converting it soon and see how it goes.

On a related front, are any other publishers considering adopting the DCC rule sets?

Thanks again.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

For Keep, you should be able to sub in a lot of the monsters from the back of the beta book. There will be some you'll need to make up, but for the first couple complexes you might not even need to do a conversion.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

B1 (In Search of the Unknown) is also a classic starter module. It was part of the D&D "basic" product line for quite a while.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
maasenstodt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by maasenstodt »

koakawe wrote:I was actually considering the venerable "B2" -The Keep on the Borderlands- just because it is the classic starting module.
I will look into converting it soon and see how it goes.
You might want to check out my related thread in the Actual Play forum.
koakawe
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by koakawe »

Thanks, reading it now.
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

Put B1 into B2 as "Cave of the Unknown" to expand the mini-setting nicely.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
koakawe
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by koakawe »

Makes sense.

Maybe I'll see if I can find a copy of B1 on eBay.

Thanks

Return to “DCC RPG General”