Thoughts on Appendix N and Magic

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

sbwilson
Gongfarmer

Thoughts on Appendix N and Magic

Post by sbwilson »

I'm fairly new to Appendix N - even though I've played RPGs since the early 80s, I'm just now starting to go through those books. One of the first ones I went through were the first three books in Andre Norton's Witchworld series. Those that have read those know there is a link between being able to do magic and...umm...shall we say the lack of carnal knowledge. Most recently, I've started to reread Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy (Crystal Cave, Hollow Hills, Last Enchantment). While not strictly Appendix N, I did come across this little note at the end of The Crystal Cave:
"There is so strong a connection in legend (and indeed in history) between celibacy, or virginity, and power, that I have thought it reasonable to insist on Merlin's virginity."
So, not only do wizards have to deal with Patrons and corruption, but they ain't getting any either! Who wants to be a mage now? :lol: I feel very strongly about enforcing this little tidbit of color - we'll see how my players react.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Thoughts on Appendix N and Magic

Post by finarvyn »

It's an interesting observation and certainly I can see where it has a historical basis if you include some of the virgins who were found in early temples. Of course, that's more like cleric magic instead of wizard magic, but at least not unheard of. Also there is the virgin-unicorn connection.

It would also explain why Conan couldn't cast spells and was out to get any evil wizard he could find. :P
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

finarvyn wrote:It would also explain why Conan couldn't cast spells and was out to get any evil wizard he could find. :P
And explains why so many wizards are evil...
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

mythfish wrote:
finarvyn wrote:It would also explain why Conan couldn't cast spells and was out to get any evil wizard he could find. :P
And explains why so many wizards are evil...
:lol:
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

finarvyn wrote:Conan couldn't cast spells...
Conan employs a witch-symbol in part V of "Beyond the Black River". It's not a spell, but it's something. :)
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Geoffrey wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Conan couldn't cast spells...
Conan employs a witch-symbol in part V of "Beyond the Black River". It's not a spell, but it's something. :)
Maybe that was in his pre-wenching days? :?
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

sbwilson wrote: So, not only do wizards have to deal with Patrons and corruption, but they ain't getting any either! Who wants to be a mage now? :lol: I feel very strongly about enforcing this little tidbit of color - we'll see how my players react.
As long as your group does not consist of LARPers.... you should be fine. :)
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion

Return to “DCC RPG General”