Recovering the dead.

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Recovering the dead.

Post by Karaptis »

What is the DC for the luck roll on recovering a dead party member's body to see if they are alive or not?
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Recovering the dead.

Post by abk108 »

It's not specified. I guess it would depend on the DM :

I would say 10 in normal circumstances,
higher if the fallen PC was knocked out with a particularly vicious blow, such as a dragon bite or a critical hit ( in which case, a 15 would seem appropriate).
Extreme circumstances of death might call for a DC 20; for example, if a low level PC was hit by a giant and sent flying down a cliff, or if a powerful wizard had an entire tower collapse on the unfortunate PC.

*Food for thought* It could be nice to factor in the level of the PC - maybe a bonus to the check of 1/2 level (rounded down) - to represent the fact that a high level PC has a lower chance of being killed than a 1st-level PC.
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
shadewest
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by shadewest »

Luck check, roll Luck score or less on 1d20.
...unless the judge rules otherwise.

Steven Thivierge
Playtester and additional design for:DCC RPG.
Thac0
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Thac0 »

My PC's don't roll to see if they've recovered. They barter with death. Luckily he's a compulsive gambler. ^-^ My favorite story is when one of my players who was all about keeping the party together and happy, jumped in front of a troll for the party's mage saving his life. He bet death in a rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock (I accept nothing less) for his life, but forgot to set terms for if he lost. He just assumed it was his life. Needless to say he didn't win.

He got back to the table with his head hung, I rolled some dice behind my screen, and he popped up back to life without a scratch on him. He looked up surprised and I just winked at him. He thought I gave him a pass. Silly player, he really should have known better. His character did he best to TPK the group a few sessions later. (Players and I toss back little bits of paper every once in a while. Each player is required to send me a minimum of 5 bits with actual writing per game. Makes a great way to pass back secret info while not giving it away when it actually happens. Also lets players take out their frustration on me in a playful manner ^_-)

After managing to kill 2 members and critically injure several more (instead of attacking the lizardmen themselves he decided it would be a good idea to just take out 1 of the 3 support pillars in their great hall, he was successful in killing almost all the bad guys though), they finally figured out he was possessed (or sold his soul, they never came to an agreement on it ^_-). They captured him while he slept then allowed the mage he saved to use him as a blood sacrifice to try and summon and bind a greater earth elemental.

But death was not to be cheated out of his due and the binding went horribly wrong due to the tainted blood (mage botched the roll). The mage was dragged to the underworld with a nice squish. My players play in a harsh world. You should see how we handle magic items. Can't wait to start it all over again with DCC! <3
SYKOJAK
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SYKOJAK »

Thac0 wrote:My PC's don't roll to see if they've recovered. They barter with death. Luckily he's a compulsive gambler. ^-^ My favorite story is when one of my players who was all about keeping the party together and happy, jumped in front of a troll for the party's mage saving his life. He bet death in a rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock (I accept nothing less) for his life, but forgot to set terms for if he lost. He just assumed it was his life. Needless to say he didn't win.

He got back to the table with his head hung, I rolled some dice behind my screen, and he popped up back to life without a scratch on him. He looked up surprised and I just winked at him. He thought I gave him a pass. Silly player, he really should have known better. His character did he best to TPK the group a few sessions later. (Players and I toss back little bits of paper every once in a while. Each player is required to send me a minimum of 5 bits with actual writing per game. Makes a great way to pass back secret info while not giving it away when it actually happens. Also lets players take out their frustration on me in a playful manner ^_-)

After managing to kill 2 members and critically injure several more (instead of attacking the lizardmen themselves he decided it would be a good idea to just take out 1 of the 3 support pillars in their great hall, he was successful in killing almost all the bad guys though), they finally figured out he was possessed (or sold his soul, they never came to an agreement on it ^_-). They captured him while he slept then allowed the mage he saved to use him as a blood sacrifice to try and summon and bind a greater earth elemental.

But death was not to be cheated out of his due and the binding went horribly wrong due to the tainted blood (mage botched the roll). The mage was dragged to the underworld with a nice squish. My players play in a harsh world. You should see how we handle magic items. Can't wait to start it all over again with DCC! <3

Hello folks!
That above passage is absolutely awesome! Even as a player, I loved the fact the player "made-a-deal with death" which in turn, took more from the party in the long run. Its kinda like gambling against the "House" with the PCs' souls as the wager. Sure you might win in the beginning, but in the end, The House Always Wins. I think that totally adds a slice of horror to the fantasy play as well adds spice to the gameplay.
There comes a point in time when it all comes down to the roll of a die!

Return to “DCC RPG General”