Pictures of the gold foil cover edition

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Pictures of the gold foil cover edition

Post by Benoist »

I just received DCC RPG yesterday and took some pictures for people interested in the game.

I thought I might as well share them here as well for the lurkers who haven't made up their mind quite yet. Might be useful, you never know.

Visit The RPG Site, that "wretched hive of scum and villainy" gamers keep talking about!
Advice to build a mega-dungeon and the campaign around it.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Pictures of the gold foil cover edition

Post by Harley Stroh »

Benoist!

Awesome photos! Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums. I lurk over on therpgsite, and it is wonderful to see you posting over here as well.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Benoist »

Thanks Harley! Awesome to be here!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have to reciprocate and tell you guys it looks like you got an awesome community over here. I think I'm going to stick around for a while. :D

And to Joe I'd like to say: you bluffed me, man. I just had the time to read through a few dozens of pages of your baby, and it already challenged my expectations. In a good way.

I like it when I'm genuinely surprised by the results. It's surprising to me because this is not an AD&D clone or a d20 game either, in fact. The vibe makes me think of the choose-your-own-adventure books I was reading as a lad, like Lone Wolf and such, in the style of the art, the look of the characters, the reavers that really look like Chaotic badasses and all that. There's that gritty and caricatural feel to it I really like. Some people have talked about Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 1e and Rolemaster too, in their comparisons, and I'm starting to see what they mean by that.

Personal bonus is, I love the Zocchi dice and I'm thrilled to have an occasion to use them at the core of a game's rules. ;)

In any case, that's a very original game you got there. Congratulations.
Last edited by Benoist on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Visit The RPG Site, that "wretched hive of scum and villainy" gamers keep talking about!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Gorgeous! I dearly wish I'd had the money to splurge on the limited edition. :(

Colin
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Harley Stroh wrote:Benoist!

Awesome photos! Thank you for posting and welcome to the forums. I lurk over on therpgsite, and it is wonderful to see you posting over here as well.

//H
You meant to say TheRPGHaven, right?

right?

:lol:
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

So far the best collection of pictures IMO. Good quality, shows the front cover, the inside cover, some pages and how small the Pathfinder core book is compared to it. :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Benoist »

Thanks guys.

And Jim? I'm pretty sure Harley meant the RPG Site, though the Haven is a cool place and deserves some attention too. ;)
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

Benoist wrote:Thanks guys.

And Jim? I'm pretty sure Harley meant the RPG Site, though the Haven is a cool place and deserves some attention too. ;)
Oh I know what he meant....

...but a guy can dream....

:lol:
Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Benoist »

I'm sorry if I burst your bubble. Dream on, brother! :D
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Another excellent thing about this game that should be pointed out is not even in the rulebook. The 3PP participation looks to be putting an excellent game over the top! I have never been so satisfied in an RPG like this one thus far!
Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Benoist »

Karaptis wrote:Another excellent thing about this game that should be pointed out is not even in the rulebook. The 3PP participation looks to be putting an excellent game over the top! I have never been so satisfied in an RPG like this one thus far!
Very true! Looks like the game is picking up momentum in all corners of the hobby too. The community seems to grow steadily around the game, and you really can't beat a bunch of passionate gamers when it comes to make a good game a great one, by virtue of its popularity and welcoming, enthusiastic community supporting it.
jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jodown »

I love my giant, sinister-looking, black and gold book. I'd like to share our story with you all...

I popped over to Paizo's site on a Monday night, and I saw a post about this curious looking tome on the Store Blog. I had never heard of this before. Intrigued, I came over to this site to investigate. I read all the reviews linked to on the page for the book. I tried to go to bed. I could not sleep; I was so excited about this game. I got up out of bed and ordered the regular edition of the book. Satisfied, I went back off to bed to dream of fantasy adventure times...

Time passed. A whole week passed. Paizo still had not even shipped my book. How dare they! Now it was saying that the book was back ordered. I panicked. I got on the phone and tracked the book down at a (fairly) local game shop. I went there straight after work. When I got there, they apologized and said that they only had the more expensive deluxe edition. I didn't care. I could barely hear what they were saying to me. The book had me locked in its gaze. I vaguely remember clumsily snatching up the book and the two modules, then waiting impatiently through the checkout process.

Since that day, the book and I are one. My girlfriend says it's weird that I kiss a book. Well, I think she's weird. My other copy should be arriving soon from Paizo, but I care not. I only have eyes for my sweet love.
Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Benoist »

What really satisfies me about this game right now is that it is so obviously NOT AD&D. And you can ask around, since a few people know me around here: I am a huge supporter of the First Edition game play and spirit. I LOVE AD&D 1E.

To put it bluntly, I was afraid this game would be "Joe's fix of AD&D" and that would not have gone overly well with me.

But this, the actual DCC RPG result, it's a completely different game altogether, and in a GOOD way.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

jodown wrote:I love my giant, sinister-looking, black and gold book. I'd like to share our story with you all...

I popped over to Paizo's site on a Monday night, and I saw a post about this curious looking tome on the Store Blog. I had never heard of this before. Intrigued, I came over to this site to investigate. I read all the reviews linked to on the page for the book. I tried to go to bed. I could not sleep; I was so excited about this game. I got up out of bed and ordered the regular edition of the book. Satisfied, I went back off to bed to dream of fantasy adventure times...

Time passed. A whole week passed. Paizo still had not even shipped my book. How dare they! Now it was saying that the book was back ordered. I panicked. I got on the phone and tracked the book down at a (fairly) local game shop. I went there straight after work. When I got there, they apologized and said that they only had the more expensive deluxe edition. I didn't care. I could barely hear what they were saying to me. The book had me locked in its gaze. I vaguely remember clumsily snatching up the book and the two modules, then waiting impatiently through the checkout process.

Since that day, the book and I are one. My girlfriend says it's weird that I kiss a book. Well, I think she's weird. My other copy should be arriving soon from Paizo, but I care not. I only have eyes for my sweet love.
Welcome, Jodown! It's like you've been here all along. :twisted:

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Tush Hog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Tush Hog »

What are the differences between the deluxe and regular edition? Is it cover only or is there a difference in paper quality and such?
Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Benoist »

jodown wrote:I love my giant, sinister-looking, black and gold book. I'd like to share our story with you all...

It is a really cool story. And you have a spare copy now for the players arriving soon at your door. Isn't life awesome? :D
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Cool story, jodown.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

Story?

That actually happened.

Dude, kissing books is totally understandable and completely acceptable in my household. I kiss my gaming PC more than I kiss my wife, and I've been known to cradle my netbook as I fall asleep. I have the leatherbound edition of Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition, and occasionally I've been seen frenching it--full-on tongue.

What's a poor nerd to do?
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Ogrepuppy wrote:Story?

That actually happened.
Did I say it didn't happen?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Tush Hog wrote:What are the differences between the deluxe and regular edition? Is it cover only or is there a difference in paper quality and such?
The cover is different, but the contents (including the color endsheets) are identical.

//H

Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Benoist wrote:What really satisfies me about this game right now is that it is so obviously NOT AD&D. And you can ask around, since a few people know me around here: I am a huge supporter of the First Edition game play and spirit. I LOVE AD&D 1E.

To put it bluntly, I was afraid this game would be "Joe's fix of AD&D" and that would not have gone overly well with me.

But this, the actual DCC RPG result, it's a completely different game altogether, and in a GOOD way.
Agreed. We love AD&D, too. And when we get the itch to play AD&D, we ... play AD&D. :)

//H

Benoist
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Benoist »

Harley Stroh wrote:Agreed. We love AD&D, too. And when we get the itch to play AD&D, we ... play AD&D. :)

//H
Now that tune sounds familiar, and I very much like to hear it. :mrgreen:
jodown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jodown »

Harley Stroh wrote:

Welcome, Jodown! It's like you've been here all along. :twisted:

//H

Thanks!

My girlfriend just started SotSS tonight. She rolled up 16 characters. She lost 7 of them in the keep; most of them were lost during the beastmen fight. She decided to add 6 more from the prisoners. The frozen funeral bier room was a hoot. She lost nobody in there, but four characters fumbled around for a while before retreating. That room was so much fun for her. She thinks they'll be going back there later...
I'd like to say thanks for these awesome modules. I've got 66.5, 67 and 68, and they all look incredibly fun. I think that if any of her characters survive this one she'll I''l have her do DotSK next.

If anybody reading this has not picked up the rulebook and modules yet. you absolutely have to do so NOW!

Return to “DCC RPG General”