Table 5-8: Wizard Spells

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Logon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Table 5-8: Wizard Spells

Post by Logon »

page 127 table Table 5-8: Wizard Spells
* As per cleric spell of same name. Because the wizard version of the spell is a different spell level, the wizard receives a -2 penalty to spell checks
when casting it. For example, binding is a level 2 cleric spell but a level 3 wizard spell; therefore, when rolling on the spell table, the wizard applies
a -2 penalty to spell checks. On a result of natural 1, the wizard suffers a 50% chance of major corruption or misfire, rolling on the generic tables
as appropriate.
It seems unfair.

Wizard:
Level 1: Detect magic* 260
Level 2: Detect evil* 259
Level 3: Paralysis* 264
Level 3: Binding* 270

Cleric:
Level 1: Detect magic 260
Level 1: Detect evil 259
Level 1: Paralysis 264
Level 2: Binding 270

then because:
In general,
your spell succeeds if your spell check is equal to or
higher than a base DC of 10 + (2x spell level)
The modifiers for the wizard's versions of those spells should be:
Level 1: Detect magic* = No modifier
Level 2: Detect evil* = -2
Level 3: Paralysis* = -4
Level 3: Binding* = -2
Colin

Re: Stomp the typo / Errata & FAQ

Post by Colin »

Logon wrote:page 127 table Table 5-8: Wizard Spells
* As per cleric spell of same name. Because the wizard version of the spell is a different spell level, the wizard receives a -2 penalty to spell checks
when casting it. For example, binding is a level 2 cleric spell but a level 3 wizard spell; therefore, when rolling on the spell table, the wizard applies
a -2 penalty to spell checks. On a result of natural 1, the wizard suffers a 50% chance of major corruption or misfire, rolling on the generic tables
as appropriate.
It seems unfair.
Did someone say it had to be fair? The DCC RPG is not a game where "fair" or "balanced" are always at the forefront.

Colin
Last edited by Colin on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Logon »

Colin wrote:
as appropriate.
It seems unfair.
Did someone say it had to be fair?

Colin

No but it should have a reason to be unfair.
Is there one ?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

as appropriate.
It seems unfair.
The tables on the cleric's spells offer no chance of taint, patron taint, or misfire.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Logon wrote:No but it should have a reason to be unfair.
Is there one ?
That's something you'll have to ask Harley or Joseph, my friend. I'd explain it in my games as penalties imposed by the cosmos for essentially aping the magic of the divine, but that'd be just my own interpretation.

Colin
Colin

Post by Colin »

Raven_Crowking wrote:The tables on the cleric's spells offer no chance of taint, patron taint, or misfire.
True, but the footnote addresses this by saying that when a wizard casts their version of the clerical spells, a natural 1 results in a 50/50 chance of major corruption or generic misfire.

Colin
Logon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Logon »

IMHO simply adding the wizard versions of those 4 spells would be cleaner and user friendly.
in a future 2nd printing ?
Logon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Logon »

For instance:
http://cryptmaster.free.fr/DCCRPG/4_w_spells.pdf

i've change the checks according to their fixed level equivalents.

But some flavour texts should.be changed. As well as adding some non generic corruptions and misfires.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Colin wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote:The tables on the cleric's spells offer no chance of taint, patron taint, or misfire.
True, but the footnote addresses this by saying that when a wizard casts their version of the clerical spells, a natural 1 results in a 50/50 chance of major corruption or generic misfire.

Colin
True. (Also, d'oh!, because I know that!)
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “DCC RPG General”