Descriptive Immersion - Saving Throws

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Rolemancer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Descriptive Immersion - Saving Throws

Post by Rolemancer »

Hello DCCers,

In the DCC RPG on page 378 is a section called "Making Monsters Mysterious" and "Descriptive Encounters." It has comparisons on descriptions DMs can use when running encounters. I agree with their examples showing that more description is more immersive and is all around more fun!

So, I would like to call attention to Saving Throws in DCC RPG. Fort, Ref, Will... blah, bland, blech. But remember old school descriptors?

Paralyzation, Poison or Death Magic
Petrification or Polymorph
Rod, Staff or Wand
Breath Weapon
Spell

Now, I realize that I could translate these over very easily myself to make Saving Throws more Mysterious and Descriptive, but there they sit on the character sheet ... fort, ref, will ...

I have seen some very creative people come up with some nice character sheets for DCC RPG. Especially an outstanding fold over hand drawn one with interesting fonts and graphics. Very clean, handy but at the same time, old school mysterious, descriptive and immersive. Excel sheets... blah, bland, blech.

I so wish that one had the mysterious and descriptive saving throws. In fact, I wish DCC RPG would convert their current one over to the more immersive version in an official capacity.

Any takers on creating a character sheet as described above?

Thoughts on mysterious and descriptive saving throws?

Thanks!
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Re: Descriptive Immersion - Saving Throws

Post by TheNobleDrake »

"Test your fortitude against the dark priest's vile death magic!"

"...and the dragon belches forth a roiling, black fog filled with liquid fire - are your reflexes quick enough to stop you being immersed?"

"A dreadful spell takes hold of your very mind! See if you can muster the will to resist."

Words on the character sheet do not immersion make.

That said, if no one else answers the request in the next week, and the request still exists to be filled, then I shall have the time to put together a sheet using the old D&D saves (at least, I should then be able to find the time in theory as I should be done with the other projects currently occupying me).
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

Fort (d20 + base fort save + stamina modifier ) = Death Ray or Poison
Ref (d20 + base ref save + agility modifier) = Wands
Strength Check (d20 + strength modifier) = Stone
Luck Check (d20 + luck modifier) = Dragon Breath
Will (d20 + base will save + personality modifier) = Spells

You can use any of the million sheets out there for old-fashioned D&D. Just cross off wisdom and replace it with luck.

I also used to favor the ancient 5-category system, but through a lot of use, fort/ref/will has grown on me.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Rolemancer
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Rolemancer »

I agree that fort, ref, will (blah, bland, blech) are easier to use.

I appreciate the offer to making character sheets with DCC stats with the epic cool saves!

Looking forward to seeing those out there.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

Aplus wrote:Fort (d20 + base fort save + stamina modifier ) = Death Ray or Poison

You can use any of the million sheets out there for old-fashioned D&D. Just cross off wisdom and replace it with luck.

I also used to favor the ancient 5-category system, but through a lot of use, fort/ref/will has grown on me.
I prefer the old Saving Throws as well. But it's not a strong preference. I like your list of mapping DCC attributes to old school saves. Transylvanian Adventures introduces the Fear save. Which would make your list look like...

Fort (d20 + base fort save + stamina modifier ) = Death Ray or Poison
Fear (d20 + base fear save + intelligence modifier) = Fear

Return to “DCC RPG General”