Gonna watch Zero Charisma movie?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Gonna watch Zero Charisma movie?

Post by DM Marcus »

It looks interesting, but looks like it could also shine an unflattering light on our hobby.

I'd kinda like to see it for the inside jokes...
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Gonna watch Zero Charisma movie?

Post by Zargon »

I think I'd like to watch it. It could be an asset to our community broadening our ranks.
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
dungeonfish
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dungeonfish »

It highlights nearly every negative stereotype relating to our hobby and does nothing positive. Have to see it anyways... It's a gamer movie.
dungeonfish
jozxyqk
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by jozxyqk »

Saw it, and would recommend it.

It is not like Big Bang Theory or equivalent that looks for laughs by making fun of nerdy stereotypes ("He plays D&D! Hilarious!").

It is more of a darkly comic look at the quasi-conflict between old school, socially inept, obsessive nerds and new school hipster, socially adept "nerds" who have recently decided that D&D, computer games, glasses and other classically "nerdy" things are cool. The main character is deeply messed up, and not just in a "har har, he's bad with the ladies" sort of a way. It's got funny moments, but don't go in looking for a slapstick laugh fest.

I thought it was good though. It actually made me spend some time thinking about the nerd/hipster issue. I will admit, as someone who actually endured major social censure for my RPG-category hobbies and otherwise being nerdy as a youngster, it is a little irksome to see some of my cohorts all of a sudden start saying "OMG, I'm such a nerd" now that it's kind of cool. Not that I think being bothered by that does me any credit at all. Rationally, getting more people into gaming is great, and the more subcultures that we generally accept and tolerate, the better society we are. But the grumpy half of me still rankles.
DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DM Marcus »

Looks like the only way to see it at the moment is an I-Tunes rental?

Wonder if there will be a DVD release?
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

Apparently one of the premieres is here in San Jose, so I'm hoping to check it out.

Return to “DCC RPG General”