Getting started with DDC

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

FASAfan
Gongfarmer
FLGS: The Game Keep

Getting started with DDC

Post by FASAfan »

Just a few questions from a newbie. I'm very interested in the DCC adventures, after having purchased The Chained Coffin XX.2 module at my FLGS. I've got a softcover rulebook coming (wizard cover - is that 3rd printing?) just to check out the system, as I read that even if one doesn't intend to run the system, it has a lot of useful info - and awesome art.

I also just purchased online (and got raked over the coals in shipping. Surely I did something wrong): The Chained Coffin boxed set, and the XX.1 module for it; 2015 and 2016 Halloween modules; Toy Makers Holiday module (I love gnomes)

Anyway, to cut to the chase:

- How often do adventure modules come out?

- Are the XX.X modules extra adventures tied to a box set or other story arch?

- Some modules seem to go from XX.0 to XX.5 (thinking of the Grimtooth/Grimtina module I just ordered).

- Are the modules all digest-sized? I really like that particular size.

- Is Trapsylvania going to be available for purchase in the future? I had no idea about the Kickstarter.

Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Getting started with DDC

Post by GnomeBoy »

Just a fan, not an insider at all. Briefly, here's what I know.
FASAfan wrote:- How often do adventure modules come out?
Pretty regularly...? I don't know if there is a fixed pattern to it, but they seem to come out often. And that's just GG modules -- once you throw in 3PP there are even more options.

FASAfan wrote:- Are the XX.X modules extra adventures tied to a box set or other story arch?
The X.1 and X.2 etc are extensions of previous stuff. There are some that are X.5, and those have just been slotted in-between existing numbers to get them in the queue, as it were.

FASAfan wrote:- Some modules seem to go from XX.0 to XX.5 (thinking of the Grimtooth/Grimtina module I just ordered).
See above. The X.5 thing stretches back to the earliest days of Goodman Games, and is sort of a hold-over in procedure.

FASAfan wrote:- Are the modules all digest-sized? I really like that particular size.
It's been an experiment, I think. Generally, the output is 8.5" by 11".

FASAfan wrote:- Is Trapsylvania going to be available for purchase in the future? I had no idea about the Kickstarter.
I can't imagine why not. Sometimes there are items offered within a Kickstarter project that are only available through the KS, but the main product always becomes available.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

Both softcover versions of the core book are 4th printing.
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

FASAfan wrote:
- Is Trapsylvania going to be available for purchase in the future? I had no idea about the Kickstarter.
Trapsylvania will be published at some point in the future, though I couldn't say for sure when. I believe most of the manuscript for it is finished.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

GnomeBoy wrote:
FASAfan wrote:- How often do adventure modules come out?
Pretty regularly...? I don't know if there is a fixed pattern to it, but they seem to come out often. And that's just GG modules -- once you throw in 3PP there are even more options.
I was involved in early playtests of DCC RPG modules and quite a few were in the pipeline prior to the release of the RPG itself, which explains why there was such a large influx of modules early on. The rate has since slowed quite a bit since those days but they keep on coming.

Keep in mind that Goodman Games is a somewhat small company with a few dedicated writers putting out most of the material and a couple of other writers adding in other stuff. Those few writers are also working on other projects (such as Mike Curtis doing DCC Lankhmar) which help to fill up their time and slow down their production from the regular DCC product line.

If you think about it that way, for a company of their size GG is actually pretty impressive in terms of the quantity and quality of their products.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Woodland Mutant
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Mayhem Games, Des Moines, IA

Post by Woodland Mutant »

I just got into this game. I've been an avid pen/paper and miniature wargamer since 1985. Inherited laundry basked of D&D from my dad's friend when I was a kid and got hooked!

This is my favorite RPG of all time. There's enough space to create your own patrons, fluff, etc while the rules provide a meaty amount of background material on their own.

I'll be GMing this to a gaggle of newer gamers in a few weeks, most likely the Chained Coffin boxed set. Looking forward to running it and I hope DCC is around for a long, long time.

*Hope to see more boxed sets too!
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Woodland Mutant wrote:*Hope to see more boxed sets too!
Lankhmar is on the horizon.

Probably more in the pipeline, too, I suspect. :wink:
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Rollinsolo
Gongfarmer
FLGS: outer planes

Post by Rollinsolo »

Hi, I'm new also, I was just looking at a higher number level 1 adventure and there was a section that said visit goodman games to see a legend on what the symbols next to NPC characters mean. I can't find that legend on here anywhere, can someone please point me in that direction? Thanks.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Rollinsolo wrote:Hi, I'm new also, I was just looking at a higher number level 1 adventure and there was a section that said visit goodman games to see a legend on what the symbols next to NPC characters mean. I can't find that legend on here anywhere, can someone please point me in that direction? Thanks.
The website was recently re-made from scratch, so that may be harder to dig up if it's an old adventure. What adventure was it?

Rollinsolo
Gongfarmer
FLGS: outer planes

Post by Rollinsolo »

GnomeBoy wrote:
Rollinsolo wrote:Hi, I'm new also, I was just looking at a higher number level 1 adventure and there was a section that said visit goodman games to see a legend on what the symbols next to NPC characters mean. I can't find that legend on here anywhere, can someone please point me in that direction? Thanks.
The website was recently re-made from scratch, so that may be harder to dig up if it's an old adventure. What adventure was it?
Isle of the Sea Drake #55
Thanks for any help.
GnomeBoy

Post by GnomeBoy »

Rollinsolo wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:
Isle of the Sea Drake #55
Thanks for any help.
Is the symbol key here what you needed?

http://goodman-games.com/store/product/ ... a-drake-2/

Return to “DCC RPG General”