Seeking: Solo 0-level adventures

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DataPacRat
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Phoenix Rising

Seeking: Solo 0-level adventures

Post by DataPacRat »

I'm looking for any adventures that are suitable for 0-level characters; but unlike the usual funnels, are designed more for individual PCs, who lack the backup of lots of other 0-level characters to keep going if they croak. Preferably, an adventure which the solo PC has reasonable odds of surviving with sufficiently-well-applied genre-savviness. Also preferably, one that doesn't depend on the existence of a local village being threatened and/or full of rumours. Bonus points for a plotline along the lines of "a major conjunction will happen in a few years, and increasing numbers of holes are getting poked in spacetime as we get closer".

Another metric: Imagine an intro adventure for a modern human dropped into a D&D world.

Out of the adventures I know of, the one that comes closest is "Portal Under The Stars"; the PC could find themselves walking through the entrance portal, and then have to figure out how to deal with the various hazards; but those hazards are a tad more lethal than seems survivable, and there doesn't seem to be quite enough motivation to keep the PC from deciding to just sit and wait at the entrance. Contrariwise, "The Shambling Un-Dead" has some good motivation-kicker, in that the PCs have to go out and do stuff to clear up the barriers.

I'm open to converting some other D&D/OSR system adventure to DCC.

Does anything along these lines ring any bells?

Edit: In case it might spur some ideas, I'm thinking of using the ley line map from here as an excuse to open a portal from Niagara Falls, to the corresponding location in a world vaguely resembling the map shown here. After all, it's easy to come up with a reason for just about anybody to find themselves at Niagara - everyone from Superman to Red Dwarf's Dave Lister has popped in. :)
Thank you for your time,
--
DataPacRat
"Does aₘᵢₙ=2c²/Θ ? I don't know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if it were?"
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Seeking: Solo 0-level adventures

Post by GnomeBoy »

Those are some very specific specifics...

The only solo adventure I know of is HHSOLO: https://www.rpgnow.com/product/138653/H ... thrag-Keep
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
mutazoid
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Comic Connection

Post by mutazoid »

very interesting. Im going to give this module a try.
This isnt DCC but you might wanna check it out

The Castle of Blackwood Moors.
https://www.amazon.ca/Castle-Blackwood- ... +blackwood
squirefang
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by squirefang »

I recently acquired a old Dungeons and Dragons players Manual from 1983 and there is a solo adventure in the manual.
I don't know of any recently published solo work
DavetheLost
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DavetheLost »

There are of course lots of solo adventures available for Tunnels & Trolls. I haven't seen any conversion guidelines for making them DCC. I have seen occasional guidelines for converting monsters etc to T&T, mostly converting hit dice to Monster Ratings.

I like the idea of a Level 0 solo, even more so if it is for a modern day character transported to DCCland.
Griffith
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Paradox Comics-N-Cards

Post by Griffith »

I was looking at UK5 Eye of the Serpent recently, considering converting it into a zero level funnel. This is a one-on-one (one DM, one player) adventure. After looking at and converting many of the encounters, it still seemed too “weak” for 18 to 20 plus zero level characters. I was having to increase numbers encountered or beef-up monster abilities to match the lethality of other funnels. I got some ways into this and I had to ask myself why? Why am I doing all this work? If I am going to put this much effort into this I might as well make my own funnel.

Still, I do think that Eye of the Serpent would work as a one-on-one adventure for 1 or 2 1st level DCC characters. Though it might take an imaginative DM to spice up some of the rather dull encounters.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I've used UK5 with DCC!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Griffith
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Griffith »

Raven_Crowking wrote:I've used UK5 with DCC!
I’ve always thought that TSRs UK modules have a certain something that would work well with DCC.
Beyond the Crystal Cave, When a Star Falls, The Sentinal, The Gauntlet, etc.

How did you use UK5 for DCC? As a one-on-one game or funnel?

Also, I’m interested in how you converted the monsters from one system to the other.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Griffith
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Griffith »

Great articles! Thanks for sharing.

At first I thought converting the monsters might be difficult, but once I started it really wasn't too hard at all. Flip the AC, like you say in your article. Then I looked at attacks. A lot of ad&d monsters/creatures have claw/claw/ bite attacks; DCC not so much. So I would reduce these to just one attack. Unless I thought it was important for some reason that the monster retain its additional attacks. For example, the Vilstrak has two attacks with its huge stony fists. I thought it should keep both attacks. It made him a more menacing and more memorable opponent.

The init, melee attack, and save bonuses were a bit more tricky. I had to just guess based on the description of the creature and its hit dice what kind of bonuses if any to give.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Pleased to be of service!
SoBH pbp:

Return to “DCC RPG General”