What other Appendix N inspired settings would you like to see?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Egg of Coot
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Gameshelf

Re: What other Appendix N inspired settings would you like to see?

Post by Egg of Coot »

I'd like to see Dave Arneson's Blackmoor setting converted to DCC.

The Egg
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

Post by King of Elfland »

Funny that you mention that. For my upcoming "Original Adventurers Reincarnated" campaign, the party will have to recover five pieces of an artifact to banish a demon lord. And the places they must go are:
1. City of Brass
2. Dying Earth
3. The Purple Planet
4. Empire of the East/Changeling Earth
5. Blackmoor

So I'd love to see them take over Blackmoor.
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult
Bobugbubilz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Bobugbubilz »

King of Elfland wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:53 pmFunny that you mention that. For my upcoming "Original Adventurers Reincarnated" campaign, the party will have to recover five pieces of an artifact to banish a demon lord. And the places they must go are:
1. City of Brass
2. Dying Earth
3. The Purple Planet
4. Empire of the East/Changeling Earth
5. Blackmoor

So I'd love to see them take over Blackmoor.
That sounds awesome.
Bobugbubilz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Bobugbubilz »

For me, I'd love to see:

Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars / Barsoom novels.

Robert E Howard's Conan, Kull, Solomon Kane, and others.

Leigh Brackett's Sea-Kings of Mars.
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Modiphius currently has the rights to the Robert E. Howard stuff though personally I think DCC would be a much better fit than the clunky 2d20 system.
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Bobugbubilz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Bobugbubilz »

King of Elfland wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:05 pm Modiphius currently has the rights to the Robert E. Howard stuff though personally I think DCC would be a much better fit than the clunky 2d20 system.
Agreed. That’s why I mentioned it. The Modiphius stuff makes for great DCC Conan sourcebooks though.
Last edited by Bobugbubilz on Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
CapnZapp
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Book

Post by CapnZapp »

I have checked Modiphius and don't care for it. If there ever was a setting that is badly served by a lot of detailed rules and modifiers, Sword & Sorcery is it.

A simple gonzo game like DCC would be VASTLY SUPERIOR to any of the previous attempts, whether they use one d20 or two, in my opinion.

I'm currently running a DCC S&S campaign*, and even though I have run D&D for literally decades, it never ceases to amaze me how much space and effort is wasted on detailed stat blocks in the adventures I consider using in my campaign.
*) https://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49373

But that's not the worst part. Far too many D&D adventures (especially ones written after circa 2000) are predicated on the heroes success. Encounters are created for the player's amusement, rather than something the players might seriously dread.

The way DCC is created means you can never simply assume the heroes will kill everything thrown against them. It's never too late to try to find a more clever solution than brute force.

This fits the S&S ethos much much better. S&S simply works badly if adventures are merely strings of encounters the heroes are expected to beat. That's just not how S&S works.

(S&S works in that the heroes don't know or assume they will win. That they most likely will win anyway is almost beside the point)
Last edited by CapnZapp on Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I agree wholeheartedly. Things like challenge ratings & balanced encounters really destroy the sense of danger the players (and characters) should have. Not to mention the video gamey "short & long rests."

That's why DCC is good for S&S game play. Lots of randomness & lethality is built in. But even at lower levels characters have the potential to do heroic things. Yet even at higher levels, they can get beaten pretty easily, especially by foes like giants. A good mix.

Finally, ditto on stat blocks. I can't believe some of those later D&D editions where the stat blocks, with feats, skills, lair actions, etc. run to a page or more in length. Ugh.
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Jakob
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Otherland Bookshop, Berlin

Post by Jakob »

My first choice from the Appendix would be the Young Kingdoms - I'd really like to see a DCC take on it, though I must say that I'm a great Stormbringer fan and associate the setting with BRP and Chaosium. Still, DCC would seem like a really good fit.

Among the books that are not on the Appendix, but that would probably be on it if they had been published a few decades earlier, I'd love to see a DCC take on China Mieville's Bas-Lag books. Tons of weird player character ancestries (I so want to play a cactus person, or a pale and benign mosquito man) and monsters, a wild mix of magics and technologies, and there's really a DCC-like sense of "anything can happen and no one is safe" to the novels.
Hemlock
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Full Grip

Post by Hemlock »

Stalking the Night Fantastic (Bureau 13) :twisted:
Attachments
th (7).jpeg
th (7).jpeg (48.8 KiB) Viewed 24403 times
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I know you mentioned "Stalking the Night Fantastic" but the attached image reminds me that DCC Cthulhu would be pretty neat. Lovecraftian New England has a lot of fun places -- Arkham, Innsmouth, Dunwich, and others -- and it would be interesting to have creatures from Lovecraft's mythos statted out with the notion that characters have to face them and face insanity along the way. Sort of turning the monster-o-meter up to 11. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”