Prioritizing DCC Purchases

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: N/A

Prioritizing DCC Purchases

Post by Father Goose »

DCC has been around for a decade now, and between all of the official Goodman Games products, along with the plethora of excellent 3pp books/zines/adventures, there is literally thousands of dollars worth of content for a new player to catch up on.
So, those of you who have been with this amazing game since the beginning, what advice would you offer regarding how to prioritize purchases? What order would you buy books/zines/modules, what do you consider "essential," and why? What makes one product more important than another?
There are no wrong answers here. I'm just curious to see what the veterans think.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Prioritizing DCC Purchases

Post by Ravenheart87 »

My usualy recommendation is "get the core book and a few Goodman Games modules that seem fun based on the cover". Seriously, the core book is the only thing that's essential. Start small, enjoy the game, and buy later whatever seems fun. That's part of DCC's charm.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
BaophraT
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Rann sevenadurel ti Leclerc Kemper (a-barzh 2023)

Post by BaophraT »

The perfect funnel module to unify a new adventurers band is Sailors On The Starless Sea, in my opinion. Otherwise, I completely agree with Ravenheart87, the rather cluttered and dense aspect of DCC productions allows a great leeway and a lot of choices, without ever having really "need" for such and such supplement. Afterwards, you quickly realize that it requires a lot of personal creation work (if you want to develop your own campaign setting), but that's part of the fun.
Ar gwir c'hoarierien a daol diñsoù !
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Pick up the core rules.

Make sure you have dice, pencils, and paper.

Pick up a Ready Reference Book. http://dcctreasures.blogspot.ca/2016/12 ... oklet.html

Bookmark the free tools from Purple Sorcerer and/or download the Crawler's Companion app. https://www.purplesorcerer.com/grimoire.php

After that, it really depends upon which direction you want to go.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Roll randomly for which supplements to get -- it'd be really hard to go wrong with such an approach.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:56 am Roll randomly for which supplements to get -- it'd be really hard to go wrong with such an approach.
If you include 3pp, who has a die large enough? :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:58 am Pick up the core rules.

Make sure you have dice, pencils, and paper.

Pick up a Ready Reference Book. http://dcctreasures.blogspot.ca/2016/12 ... oklet.html

Bookmark the free tools from Purple Sorcerer and/or download the Crawler's Companion app. https://www.purplesorcerer.com/grimoire.php

After that, it really depends upon which direction you want to go.
I bought the New Fan kit and a few modules. I also bought a few 3pp that looked interesting. I received additional dice and the DCC Annual for Christmas. I have run a few sessions already and definitely plan to write a lot of my own material.
I was lucky enough to find Purple Sorcerer and your blog immediately, which has been very helpful.
I'm not concerned about running the game (I have decades of experience as a GM of various systems), but I'm always curious to see what products stand out the most to veterans.
The Trove of Treasures reviews have been helpful, but I thought I would ask a direct question to see what people had to say. Both for myself, and for other new players who may stumble upon this thread.
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

GnomeBoy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:56 am Roll randomly for which supplements to get -- it'd be really hard to go wrong with such an approach.
I love this idea! Lol
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

baophrat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 am The perfect funnel module to unify a new adventurers band is Sailors On The Starless Sea, in my opinion. Otherwise, I completely agree with Ravenheart87, the rather cluttered and dense aspect of DCC productions allows a great leeway and a lot of choices, without ever having really "need" for such and such supplement. Afterwards, you quickly realize that it requires a lot of personal creation work (if you want to develop your own campaign setting), but that's part of the fun.
I keep seeing that same opinion, so I think I may need to make that module part of my next purchase block.
Gotta get $100 or more to qualify for the free shipping though.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:28 pm
Roll two Zocchihedrons in the manner of percentiles...?? :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

GnomeBoy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:52 pm
Anything is possible with zocchi dice
Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

GnomeBoy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:52 pm
I do own a d10,000.

Sort of. d10s designed to roll that high.
SoBH pbp:

Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Father Goose wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:23 pmI bought the New Fan kit and a few modules. I also bought a few 3pp that looked interesting. I received additional dice and the DCC Annual for Christmas. I have run a few sessions already and definitely plan to write a lot of my own material.
I was lucky enough to find Purple Sorcerer and your blog immediately, which has been very helpful.
I'm not concerned about running the game (I have decades of experience as a GM of various systems), but I'm always curious to see what products stand out the most to veterans.
The Trove of Treasures reviews have been helpful, but I thought I would ask a direct question to see what people had to say. Both for myself, and for other new players who may stumble upon this thread.
Well, in that case, the obvious answer is "Anything by the delightful Daniel J. Bishop".

:D
SoBH pbp:

Father Goose
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Father Goose »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm Well, in that case, the obvious answer is "Anything by the delightful Daniel J. Bishop".

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? Lol
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Father Goose wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:48 am
Raven_Crowking wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:19 pm Well, in that case, the obvious answer is "Anything by the delightful Daniel J. Bishop".

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? Lol
:lol:
SoBH pbp:

Return to “DCC RPG General”