What system will the modules be for after DCC:RPG?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

What system will the modules be for after DCC:RPG?

Post by Geoffrey »

In 2011 Goodman Games will release the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG.

Will the DCC modules continue to be written for 4E, or will they instead be written for the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG?
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: What system will the modules be for after DCC:RPG?

Post by goodmangames »

2011 is a long ways away, and there are still a lot of decisions to make in between now and then!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

My guess (and hope) is that the DCC RPG will be close enough to 3E so that all of the old classic DCC modules will be pretty compatible, while at the same time close enough to 1E to retain the similicity and fun of the good old days.

I'm dying to get a look at this and run it through the paces! The little bits out there on the internet are both fascinating and frustrating. :-)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

finarvyn wrote:My guess (and hope) is that the DCC RPG will be close enough to 3E so that all of the old classic DCC modules will be pretty compatible, while at the same time close enough to 1E to retain the similicity and fun of the good old days.
I hope this is the case. I would much prefer this to the alternative of more 4E from Goodman Games.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

DCCfan wrote:I hope this is the case. I would much prefer this to the alternative of more 4E from Goodman Games.
Agreed.

I've washed my hands of 4th edition after trying to "fall in love with it" numerous times with various DMs and play groups and always feeling unsatisfied in the end.

While I have purchased nearly all of the 4th edition DCC adventures, they don't "speak to me" the way the 3.x adventures did. Especially (if I may be blunt and show my obvious prejudice) Harley Stroh-written adventures. The guy is like Gygax reincarnated or something. Gygax Junior.

I hope the DCC RPG has the core of 3.5 / Pathfinder / Trailblazer, but simpler...more streamlined....more efficient.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Ogrepuppy wrote:I've washed my hands of 4th edition after trying to "fall in love with it" numerous times with various DMs and play groups and always feeling unsatisfied in the end.
Sadly, I've nearly reached this conclusion myself. I'll probably finish the 4E campaign I'm running currently but I'm not sure about whether it will be worth continuing, particularly in light of the fact that WotC is doing funky things with the Character Builder software. (The CB was one of the perks that kept me interested.)
Ogrepuppy wrote:I hope the DCC RPG has the core of 3.5 / Pathfinder / Trailblazer, but simpler...more streamlined....more efficient.
From everything I've been able to gather, it would appear that this is the case. Start with the 3E SRD, thin out to create something more similar to AD&D in feel, add in a few unique features to make DCC its own system...
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Sunderstone
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Sunderstone »

finarvyn wrote:My guess (and hope) is that the DCC RPG will be close enough to 3E so that all of the old classic DCC modules will be pretty compatible, while at the same time close enough to 1E to retain the similicity and fun of the good old days.
This is what im hoping for too. Im already starting to map out a possible online CW game using Sinister Secret as a 0-level prequel.
a.k.a. Mithriltooth
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Ogrepuppy wrote:I've washed my hands of 4th edition after trying to "fall in love with it" numerous times with various DMs and play groups and always feeling unsatisfied in the end.
My feelings as well. Allthough only one DM and group but the end result was the same. I just wasn't satisfied and kept longing for old D&D.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
Garuda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Garuda »

We've been playing 4E since the day it came out and to begin with it was fun - but as time goes by most people at the club I attend have grown bored of it - its become a bogged-down, clunky, combat orientated game.

Entire evenings are spent in resolution of combats - especially at higher levels. There's little time for roleplay - its all tactics as people shift for position hold their actions and continuously talk tactics glossing over every option. When I GM I'm losing the will to live sometimes when it can take ages for players to discuss tactics each round.

We're all pretty much agreed that we need to go back to 3.5 if we're going to continue with D&D. I'd love to see new DCC modules being compatible with 3.5.
'Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'. - Capt. E. Blackadder.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Garuda wrote:Entire evenings are spent in resolution of combats - especially at higher levels. There's little time for roleplay - its all tactics as people shift for position hold their actions and continuously talk tactics glossing over every option. When I GM I'm losing the will to live sometimes when it can take ages for players to discuss tactics each round.
That's exactly what happened to our group. We've been busy lately and have scheduled 2-3 hour blocks of game time every other week, which has turned out to be 1-2 encounters and mostly all combat. My players are saying it's kind of fun, but pretty much the same each time and they feel like they've lost the "role" in role playing.This has prompted me to look back at the older editions (OD&D and C&C) that we used to play more often, back when they did stuff other than fight.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Wow, and I thought 3.X was bogged down with combat rules. . . . :shock:
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

JediOre wrote:Wow, and I thought 3.X was bogged down with combat rules. . . . :shock:
The thing about 4E is that they have designed the system to allow each character to have lots of cool things he/she can do, even at first level. (Kind of like having lots of extra feats.) While this is exciting at first for players, I think they soon discover that they focus on 2-3 key abilities that work best for them and tend to mostly ignore the rest. And some of the powers kick in during specific circumstances, such as when a character gets an "attack of opportunity" or other reactionary action. The net effect is that there are few essential rules but loads of exceptions (the players' powers) and it's the exceptions that give me the feel of being bogged down. 3E has a similar effect but to a lesser degree because feats are more limited. Having grown up on OD&D, all of the newer editions seem kind of bogged down in rules. I even include 2E once skills and kits became part of the rulebook.

The evolution of the game from edition to edition slowly introduced more and more complexity along the way, which is why C&C is so refreshing to me. C&C takes the 3E skeleton and only adds a few simple mechanics (such as the SIEGE engine) to keep the rules easy to learn and fast to use. Hopefully, DCC will continue in this pattern. :D
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

finarvyn wrote:The net effect is that there are few essential rules but loads of exceptions (the players' powers) and it's the exceptions that give me the feel of being bogged down.
And Cthulhu forbid that a player forgets the condition that provokes/promts the exception...

....The tactics-based players get all grumpy and start rolling their eyes, while forgetful me is over here dodging their angrily thrown dice and asking feebly, "Can't we just negotiate our way out of this encounter, rather than fighting?!?"

Yeah, 4th edition is great in that there's always something for characters to do (spellcasters never run out of spells or need to rest after 10 minutes of in-game combat time), but the "all fight, all the time!!!!!!!" approach gets very tedious.
Garuda
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Garuda »

Another 4E thing that the players of our club are growing ever dissapointed with... character classes have lost their flavour. Wizards don't seem to cast spells anymore - they use powers and apply affects, just like a fighter or a paladin uses a power and applies effects. And fighters and paladins don't feel like front line tanks with heavy armour anymore when you consider that a wizard can have a higher AC without wearing any armour at all.

Bah!! I want my character classes back. I want a paladin to wear heavy armour and wield a two handed sword with purpose and I want my wizard to cast magic the way they used to.

I'm going back to 3.5E Dungeon Crawl Classics - my local game shop still has a nice selection of them on the shelf and I've got several that I never got around to running because of the arrival of 4E.
'Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'. - Capt. E. Blackadder.

Return to “DCC RPG General”