Anaheim Mini-Con

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Anaheim Mini-Con

Post by goodmangames »

For those of you in the LA area, I will be running some more playtest sessions of the DCC RPG at the Anaheim mini-con on August 14. Come learn more about the interesting spell mechanics as we explore the Citadel of the Emerald Sorcerer!

More info on the mini-con can be found here:
http://cyclopeatron.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... tails.html
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Anaheim Mini-Con

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:For those of you in the LA area, I will be running some more playtest sessions of the DCC RPG at the Anaheim mini-con on August 14. Come learn more about the interesting spell mechanics as we explore the Citadel of the Emerald Sorcerer!

More info on the mini-con can be found here:
http://cyclopeatron.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... tails.html
I'm in! Coolio :lol:
What do you mean no?
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Yikes. Looks like your game is already sold out.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Had a BLAST playing. Thanks for the playtest, Joseph.

"I hurl a chicken at it. :twisted: "
What do you mean no?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Yes, that was fun! You guys were a great group. And only a 25% death rate -- not bad for your first session. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

goodmangames wrote:Yes, that was fun! You guys were a great group. And only a 25% death rate -- not bad for your first session. :)
Thanks. And the deaths occurred close to the climatic battle. If we'd only had a little more time....

Any idea when you'll run DCC RPG again? Oh! Here's info on Strategicon. You have until August 20th to register your game.
What do you mean no?
Panther65
Gongfarmer

Post by Panther65 »

goodmangames wrote:Yes, that was fun! You guys were a great group. And only a 25% death rate -- not bad for your first session. :)
Joeseph,
It was a pleasure meeting you on saturday and playtesting your module/system. I showed my Sunday gaming group some of the info from that system and they were impressed.
I look forward to playing the final version of your system when you publish it. Thanks for running an entertaining adventure. Too bad we didn't have time for a longer session.
Rick

P.S. The people who hosted the mini-con were a good group of people. It is nice to know there are other gamers in the local vicinity.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

What do you mean no?
Sunsword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sunsword »

I'm dying to try out the DCC RPG. Unfortunately, I'm in KY, not CA. Could we get more information? Are spells still a roll with the result determining the effect? Is there a skill system or is it Attribute based? Are Save based on Reflex, Fortitude and Will?
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Sunsword wrote:I'm dying to try out the DCC RPG. Unfortunately, I'm in KY, not CA. Could we get more information? Are spells still a roll with the result determining the effect? Is there a skill system or is it Attribute based? Are Save based on Reflex, Fortitude and Will?
Yes. None. And yes.
What do you mean no?
stacktrace
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by stacktrace »

I learned about this just recently, a shame as I might have been able to make it (live about 2 hours away). Looks like it was a lot of fun based on the pictures. I have been wanting to learn more about the DCC RPG, looks like my style of game. Is interesting about starting out at level 0, do the HD from level 1 add to or replace those from level 0? You said there was no skill system, so were the cool actions you described all resolved with attribute checks? What about thieving skills?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

stacktrace wrote:I learned about this just recently, a shame as I might have been able to make it (live about 2 hours away). Looks like it was a lot of fun based on the pictures. I have been wanting to learn more about the DCC RPG, looks like my style of game. Is interesting about starting out at level 0, do the HD from level 1 add to or replace those from level 0? You said there was no skill system, so were the cool actions you described all resolved with attribute checks? What about thieving skills?
This year was my first year at the Anaheim Mini-Con, but it evidently runs every year, so I'm planning to try to make it back in the future. Hope to see you there next year!

To answer your questions...

The level 0 HD are additive to subsequent levels.

There is a very simple skill system - kind of like classic D&D thief skills - nothing nearly as complex as 3E with its synergy bonuses, cross-class ranks, various modifiers, etc.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
stacktrace
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by stacktrace »

Thanks for the reply, this games seem quite a bit like the set of house rules I have been playing with, so certainly have my eye on it. The details on your spell system that bloggers have talked about look very interesting. One last question if you will forgive me the prying, assuming something like hiding is a thief skill for which thief's have a given chance to succeed in, how do you handle non-Thieves trying to hide (or duplicate other class skills)?

Never gamed at a con before, but have been wanting to get out to one someday in the near future. Wish you the best of luck with this game.
Sunsword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sunsword »

goodmangames wrote:
stacktrace wrote: There is a very simple skill system - kind of like classic D&D thief skills - nothing nearly as complex as 3E with its synergy bonuses, cross-class ranks, various modifiers, etc.
For those of us who can't make it to some of these cons, any chance of an Open Playtest in the same vein as what Paizo & Green Ronin have done with Pathfinder & Dragon Age Set 2? I realize how difficult this could be, but it strikes me as a fairly good advertising method.

So Skills are percentile?
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

Sunsword wrote:
goodmangames wrote: For those of us who can't make it to some of these cons, any chance of an Open Playtest in the same vein as what Paizo & Green Ronin have done with Pathfinder & Dragon Age Set 2?
+1!
What do you mean no?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Yes, we're planning a "playtest edition" prior to the release of the core book, to get feedback from the broader fan base on the basic mechanics.

As for the mechanics, the core mechanic is a d20 roll, kind of like 3E. Except occasionally it's a d16 or d24 instead of a d20. I like Zocchi dice. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

If you're in the LA area and missed the Anaheim Mini-Con, there will be another playtest opportunity on October 24...

http://www.meetup.com/Dead-Gamers-Socie ... /14901802/
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

goodmangames wrote:As for the mechanics, the core mechanic is a d20 roll, kind of like 3E. Except occasionally it's a d16 or d24 instead of a d20. I like Zocchi dice. :)
urgh...this seems like a very bad idea. The last thing I want to hear from a game is that I need special dice or a deck of cards or something unusual to play.
Sunsword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sunsword »

mshensley wrote:
goodmangames wrote:As for the mechanics, the core mechanic is a d20 roll, kind of like 3E. Except occasionally it's a d16 or d24 instead of a d20. I like Zocchi dice. :)
urgh...this seems like a very bad idea. The last thing I want to hear from a game is that I need special dice or a deck of cards or something unusual to play.
I understand your feelings, I'm wondering if the special dice couldn't be replaced with a simple -4 & +4 Modifier to the D20.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Sunsword wrote:
mshensley wrote:
I understand your feelings, I'm wondering if the special dice couldn't be replaced with a simple -4 & +4 Modifier to the D20.
Remember when you were a kid and all those unusual polyhedrons were COOL? Before they became "just dice"?

DCC RPG feels that way, when you reach for your d5, d16, or d24. You need the "standard dice"...plus a few more.

It's fun. And applying your normal attack modifier to a d16 roll is faster than rolling d20 and doing the "-4 math."

Wait till you have a chance to give it a try. You'll see.

Where do you live? Let's see if we can arrange a playtest... :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

goodmangames wrote: Remember when you were a kid and all those unusual polyhedrons were COOL? Before they became "just dice"?

DCC RPG feels that way, when you reach for your d5, d16, or d24. You need the "standard dice"...plus a few more.

It's fun. And applying your normal attack modifier to a d16 roll is faster than rolling d20 and doing the "-4 math."

Wait till you have a chance to give it a try. You'll see.

Where do you live? Let's see if we can arrange a playtest... :)
Well, the problem isn't so much with me not wanting to buy more dice (i did just buy the d10,000 set for HackMaster), it's more the issue of convincing players in my group to buy nonstandard dice. Especially dice that aren't available in most game stores. If you're going to do this, I'd really suggest that you make your game a boxed set and include all the dice. Otherwise you will get significant push back from potential buyers. The d5 and the d16 are easily emulated with a d6 and a d20. The d24? Beats me how I would do that.

Oh, and I'd love to get in on a playtest. I was really disappointed that you guys weren't at Gencon this year. Unfortunately, I live in Knoxville and there are no significant game conventions anywhere close by that I know of (other than our local con which only draws around 30 people).
Sunsword
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Sunsword »

I run 2 game store in Kentucky. I'd love to host a playtest. Tell me what you need from me?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

mshensley wrote:
goodmangames wrote:If you're going to do this, I'd really suggest that you make your game a boxed set and include all the dice.
No worries, already on it.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

goodmangames wrote:No worries, already on it.
A boxed set with weird dice would be sweet. Put an Erol Otus cover on it and include a DCC module like the old B1 or B2 inside and you'll have a winner. :)

And speaking of the dice thing, I started a poll about it over on rpg.net here last night-

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=540587

I think the boxed set would go a long way in winning people over to the use of unusual dice.

Return to “DCC RPG General”