what game is most like the DCC RPG?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: what game is most like the DCC RPG?

Post by smathis »

Harley Stroh wrote:
smathis wrote:You'll see a lot more camels getting punched if a Fighter can do a d6 or d8 with his fist ...
This had me laughing out loud. So in lieu of unarmed damage, you mostly use axes and swords on your camels?

We definitely need an image of a warrior fending off a dire camel in the MDoA section.

//H

:lol:

Those camels can be ornery! They bite and spit. Best to keep them in line with the most lethal options at your disposal.

:D

You think I can terrorize a group with some Kobolds. Wait until you see what I can do with Camels!

Or Kobolds on Camels!!! Subterranean camels, of course.
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

GnomeBoy wrote:
moes1980 wrote:...or a dwarf allways being a fighter...
Interesting Side Note: Having just introduced my 11-year-old son to Holmes Basic last night, I'd been reading up on it a bit the day previous. Dwarves and Halflings are fighters, unless they opt to be thieves(!). Page 6, under --what else? -- the paragraph on Fighting Men.

I've noticed other tidbits of information only mentioned once, located in less-than-intuitive places. Let's just say, as the editor of "Holmes Basic", Holmes could've used an editor...
I got excited about this too when I first read it, until it gets to the part that refers you to AD&D if you want to do that. :(
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
Aplus
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Aplus »

I know the original post is quite old, but I'd say Basic Fantasy RPG is the closest, although admittedly DCC RPG is way sexier.

The best thing about DCC RPG is that I've been trying to get my group to play old school games for months, and we've played a few, but without ever really being able to get anyone excited about it. Then a few of us played DCC RPG at GaryCon, and they are totally pumped about getting this game going. It has just enough innovation to make it feel new and shiny, but is still at it's heart a very old-school-style game.

Players are weird. For the past two months or so, I've just been running our Pathfinder game like an old basic D&D game, ignoring 95% of the crunchy rules. But the players sit there with their complex character sheets in front of them, and are happy. No one even seems to have noticed.
Check out my DCC Resources Page for cool stuff!
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

Aplus wrote:Players are weird. For the past two months or so, I've just been running our Pathfinder game like an old basic D&D game, ignoring 95% of the crunchy rules. But the players sit there with their complex character sheets in front of them, and are happy. No one even seems to have noticed.
This kind of thing irritates me to no end. New rulesets with their 1000 pages of rules and all I want to do is basically play the same game that used to have a 48 page rulebook. And it never fails - we always end up having more fun playing Basic D&D than any of the newer editions.
moes1980
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by moes1980 »

smathis wrote:
moes1980 wrote:I have to admit, combat in DnD basic is little more than taking turns rolling d20's and hoping you hit before you get hit.
I agree and disagree here. I think it depends on the DM and the players. But a lot on the DM. We played a short LotFP (Basic D&D retro-clone) game recently and the players were trying all sorts of things. It helps when the DM does stuff first. So when this thing popped out of a sarcophagus, crawled along the wall and jumped on the Cleric's face... yeah, people started doing all sorts of stuff. From trying to choke it out MMA-style to trying a flying dropkick. It also helps if you don't penalize them for trying something out of the box. I usually let the player's attack damage be whatever their weapon is, plus or minus a die type based on description.

You'll see a lot more camels getting punched if a Fighter can do a d6 or d8 with his fist -- instead of a d3. Kinda falls in line with OD&D's only using a d6 for damage. Of course, taking 8 points of damage from a punch won't kill somebody (usually). But it is fun, and that's what I'm going for.

I hope DCC gives some guidelines for spicing up combat. DM advice, mechanics or whatnot. It sounds like a blast. So maybe they already have that part figured out.
Well, yeah....I was talking in a strict sense of how DnD basic's combat rules are set up. It took DM and player creativity to spice things up, and often it took alot of creativity and thinking just to survive, as simply going toe to toe with monsters in a stright up fight would often mean pc death. You have a good point and made me think of the idea that what made the older editions more fun despite being rules light was that the rules didnt get in the way of player creativity. 3.x, to an extent, and more sore with 4th ed, every action your character can take is so structured that it makes it difficult for players to step outside of that box of rules and definintions. I think in the DnD basic book it saysing something like "on your turn you can move and take an action, which usually includes drinking a potion, making an attack, openining a door, or a similar action" and that was it. Now, you have minor actions, standard actions, move actions, and free actions, and they are all defined on a chart. Its not a "your character can take an action" but more of a "your character can take ONE of these actions from this list."

You are deffinintly right about alot of it being on the DM's shoulders. despite 4th ed's problems, I have been in a couple of campaigns that made it feel somewhat like the old days and that was due to the DM working hard at setting the mood with vivid discriptions.

But my main point was that DCCRPG looks like DnD basic but with spiced up combats with random spell casting effects and the MDoA, and luck, and those kinds of rules. The game is still rules light, but combat has become much more unpredictible and exciting. At least, that is what it sounds like. I am really looking foward to trying it :)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

moes1980 wrote:But my main point was that DCCRPG looks like DnD basic but with spiced up combats with random spell casting effects and the MDoA, and luck, and those kinds of rules. The game is still rules light, but combat has become much more unpredictible and exciting. At least, that is what it sounds like. I am really looking foward to trying it :)
And I still think that this is a good comparrison, although the DCC rulebook will be larger than Holmes Basic by quite a bit. The feel is quite similar.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

smathis wrote:You'll see a lot more camels getting punched if a Fighter can do a d6 or d8 with his fist -- instead of a d3.
Smathis, I owe you an apology, and have turned in my old school card. I finally figured out your reference. :oops:

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

what game is most like the DCC RPG?
At '0'-Level I'd say the game that feels the nearest is High Quality Role Playing or playing 'Thralls' as outlined in Knockspell magazine issue 1.
Sean Wills
CEBrown
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by CEBrown »

mshensley wrote:
robertsconley wrote:To be honest the closest in feel would be 1st edition Rolemaster used as an AD&D supplement. You can get reprints on RPGNow or at the company website. For AD&D you can use OSRIC. You may be able to merge Rolemaster Arm and Spell Law with 3.X.
Good lord, I hope it's not that complicated. :shock:

I tried to create a character in RM once. It was more fun to do my taxes.
Never played RM, but it had a LOT more tables and a much more "cold, clinical" feel to the rules. The game it reminds me of most is Tunnels and Trolls, but I see bits and pieces of almost EVERYTHING somewhere in DCC.

Edit: Having now read through the Beta, I'll revise my opinion:

It feels like an attempt to correct the (many) flaws of 3.0 by gutting it, shamelessly pillaging from nearly EVERY game released prior to the advent of AD&D 2e, plus a (very) few bits and bobs from several games since, adding in a few unique bits or unique twists on the stuff "pillaged" and wrapping it up in the "harsh buddy" tone of Gary Gygax ("Hi. I'm your buddy. I'm going to be rough with you from time to time, but really I am. My goals are, in order, to create a good game, to have fun, and to make money while doing so. In order to do this, I may have to beat on you, the DM, a bit. Sorry.")
wavemotion
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by wavemotion »

For me, it feels most like 3.x tweaked with a 0e feel. The basic mechanics (d20 roll high, ascending AC, skill checks vs DC, REF/FORT/WIL saves) all feel 3.x-ish. The tables, classes and off-balanced feel and more emphasis on creative player/DMs feels more like 0e. The funky dice and spellburn give it a unique flavor. But the overall flavor is still very D&D-ish.

-Dave
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

wavemotion wrote:For me, it feels most like 3.x tweaked with a 0e feel. The basic mechanics (d20 roll high, ascending AC, skill checks vs DC, REF/FORT/WIL saves) all feel 3.x-ish. The tables, classes and off-balanced feel and more emphasis on creative player/DMs feels more like 0e. The funky dice and spellburn give it a unique flavor. But the overall flavor is still very D&D-ish.
Not a surprise, since Joseph started with the SRD and "built" his game around it, slicing out parts he didn't like and adding parts he did. I see this as a potential strength, since 3E players will find something familiar and 0E players will as well. Hopefully it will be a blend to attract both ends of the spectrum.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
blizack
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by blizack »

I'd describe it as a mashup of Moldvay/Cook D&D, 3rd edition D&D, and 2nd edition Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.
Brave the black peaks of Dungeonskull Mountain!
ragnorakk
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by ragnorakk »

Hi! I'd agree with all of the comparisons above (0e, 3e, T&T, Rolemaster), and also throw in a little of Stormbringer (I'm only familiar with 1st edition, but the random chargen & some of the cool magic rules remind me of it). I downloaded the beta and it looks like a neat game, I blogged an immediate read-through here: http://quietdayinheimdall.blogspot.com/ ... c-rpg.html

Return to “DCC RPG General”