Luck

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Luck

Post by geordie racer »

I totally disagree - you'd lose the flavour completely and make the thief ordinary. I want Luck to be changeable and risky to rely on. I want players to use it to attempt the audacious, (especially thieves) and don't want it nailed down as a constant stat. That would suck. Other games do that.
Sean Wills
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

I'm not saying it shouldn't change, I just don't know if it should be an ability score. Actually I'm not sure that it shouldn't be either, I just know right now it needs some fine tuning.

You could always have it such that the thief and halfling are the only classes that increase their luck pool from levelling. There are ways to retain the flavour for the thief and halfling without it being an ability score. Again I don't know if that is any better, but right now it seems too wonky (ie. most thieves will be 18 luck after an adventure or two and conceivably never change, so is this really a stat for everyone else and we can just hand wave thieves to 18? Is this just for low level play?... the whole thing is weird and seems tacked on right now).
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

bholmes4 wrote:I'm not saying it shouldn't change, I just don't know if it should be an ability score. Actually I'm not sure that it shouldn't be either, I just know right now it needs some fine tuning.

You could always have it such that the thief and halfling are the only classes that increase their luck pool from levelling. There are ways to retain the flavour for the thief and halfling without it being an ability score. Again I don't know if that is any better, but right now it seems too wonky (ie. most thieves will be 18 luck after an adventure or two and conceivably never change, so is this really a stat for everyone else and we can just hand wave thieves to 18? Is this just for low level play?... the whole thing is weird and seems tacked on right now).
I'm not sure about tacked on. But it does seem weird. Luck at this point is like a gimped version of Hero Points or Action Points.

I think the balancing factor was supposed to be the "Lucky Roll" modifier. But that's not playing out so well at my tables. People don't remember them. And when they do, they're disappointed to find that their "Lucky" roll isn't actually "Lucky" at all.

It's a conundrum. Luck is definitely the only stat that isn't like any other stat in the 6. But what else to do with it is kind of a mystery to me.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”