Cleric? Why?

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to character creation, class rules, skills, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

8bit-Sorcerer
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Cleric? Why?

Post by 8bit-Sorcerer »

I'm a bit upset about the cleric class.

I simply don't understand why they know so much spells per level, considering the few available to Wizards. Cleric seems to have many more options than Wizards. As an added bonus, they are armored, and better at fighting.

I the Wizard simply had a limitation on the number of different spells it can prepare each day, it would be better. But as the Wizard class is written, it lacks polyvalence. Is it intended? What is the rationale behind Cleric and Wizard number of spells known?

I have the feeling something doesn't fit well here.
Please be indulgent with my modest english language skills, I'm not a native english speaker.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Cleric? Why?

Post by jmucchiello »

The cleric spells aren't as powerful/dangerous as the wizard spells.
reverenddak

Re: Cleric? Why?

Post by reverenddak »

Clerics have always had access to more spells than Wizards. In earlier editions of D&D, clerics had "access" to every spell, but only could "memorize" a limited amount. Wizards only had access to the spells they "know" and were still limited to how many they could "memorize". Now both classes are limited to what they "know" and can cast any of them, as much as they dare, until they "lose" them, or in the case of Clerics risking an increased chance of deity disapproval. It's a pretty awesome, makes magic dangerous and scary, as it should be (in a sword & sorcery campaign.) This ain't Harry Potter magic.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Characters”