Critical Hits and Burning Luck

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to combat rules, crits, fumbles, Mighty Deeds of Arms, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Critical Hits and Burning Luck

Post by tovokas »

Quick question: can a character burn luck to effect the critical hit roll against his foe?

I'm hoping not, as it would complicate something on working on. ;)

Thanks!
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Critical Hits and Burning Luck

Post by meinvt »

Why couldn't they. I believe characters can burn luck on any die roll they make. Are we introducing exceptions?

Although, it just occurs to me that allowing a character to luck their hit points die roll upon gaining a level would be a BAD IDEA. Suddenly you'd have some pretty butch Thieves and Halflings!
maasenstodt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by maasenstodt »

I'm certainly inclined to let burned luck affect critical hits (and fumbles, for that matter). Any in-game roll (hp rolls being excluded, thereby) should be open, I think.
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

we should get more Luck based ability rolls. That way, burning luck is less like an "expendable points pool" and more like a double-edged weapon: you burn luck, but then when you should be lucky (ie: rolling your Luck) you're not that lucky.
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
nanstreet
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nanstreet »

Some rolls are pass-fail (like an attack roll) and some are on a kind of menu (like the critical hit chart). Maybe the first kind should allow for luck to be spent before or after the roll, but the menu rolls should only allow for luck being spent before the roll to prevent cherry picking of results. Maybe characters just should not be able to spend luck on rolls that already have their luck modifier added in.
bwatford
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by bwatford »

In todays playtest in Atlanta. Joseph clarified that luck can be used before or after the roll and it could apply to a save or attack roll but not to a critical hit. Like wise I doubt it could be used for hitpoints either since that is a permanent effect and luck is kind of a once off fickle thing.

I did however burn two points of luck today to make sure I bounced a spider demon thingy around in a blanket I had it wrapped up in. You know over your head and splat against the wall. (Long story but I think it caught Joseph off guard having it captured and treated like a bag of rats as everyone smacked it with hammers, war hammers, feet and shovels...... )

I'll post a playtest report later for everyone.
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

nanstreet wrote:the menu rolls should only allow for luck being spent before the roll to prevent cherry picking of results.

+d100. Absolutely!
nanstreet wrote:Maybe characters just should not be able to spend luck on rolls that already have their luck modifier added in.
It also creates problems about which modifier to apply: the untouched one, or the post-burn?
EG : John has 13 (+1) Luck, and burns 1 point. It's Luck is now 12(+0).

Burning on rolls that already have luck modifier applied makes sense only if AFTER the roll, and like i said i would try to find a way to encourage spending Luck BEFORE the roll.
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

abk108 wrote:
It also creates problems about which modifier to apply: the untouched one, or the post-burn?
EG : John has 13 (+1) Luck, and burns 1 point. It's Luck is now 12(+0).

Burning on rolls that already have luck modifier applied makes sense only if AFTER the roll, and like i said i would try to find a way to encourage spending Luck BEFORE the roll.
Luck is always applied after the rolls. That is why it is a permanent loss when using luck.
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Combat”