Corruption and Spell Fumble

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for open playtest feedback related to spell tables, mercurial magic, patron magic, corruption and deity disapproval, etc.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Stainless
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Corruption and Spell Fumble

Post by Stainless »

jmucchiello wrote:And +d10 on making corruption a fumble result instead of automatic.
+d30. If corruption is but one of the fumble options, it's still going to happen every now and again and still be flavoursome but not as apparently invasive as it is now. I like this idea better than my Luck check as it generally decreases the amount of rolling.
Avatar by Stefan Poag (I now own the original!)
Hamakto
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Hamakto »

One of my late suggestions to Joseph was the creation of multiple corruption tables.

Type Minor
Type Greater
Type Major

There was a long thought process involved on how it would work and I am not going to put it all in this post, but the basic thought was as follows:

The first couple of corruptions only result in Minor (mostly cosmetic type corruptions). Just purely RP issues.

Greater starts into minor game play type corruptions

Major corruptions would be character altering type corruptions. My example in the email for a Major would be if you have a Patron of death... a Major corruption would be that you turn into a Vampire or Lich. It fits the game environment and it gives a really cool explanation on how some of the races/monsters appear.

If you worship the God of Frogs... you could turn into a Bullywog, etc...
Andy
Blood Kings
2007 & 2008 DCC Tourney Champion
A Strange Aeon
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by A Strange Aeon »

Hamakto wrote:One of my late suggestions to Joseph was the creation of multiple corruption tables.

Type Minor
Type Greater
Type Major

There was a long thought process involved on how it would work and I am not going to put it all in this post, but the basic thought was as follows:

The first couple of corruptions only result in Minor (mostly cosmetic type corruptions). Just purely RP issues.

Greater starts into minor game play type corruptions

Major corruptions would be character altering type corruptions. My example in the email for a Major would be if you have a Patron of death... a Major corruption would be that you turn into a Vampire or Lich. It fits the game environment and it gives a really cool explanation on how some of the races/monsters appear.

If you worship the God of Frogs... you could turn into a Bullywog, etc...
I love this idea and hope it gets adopted into the main rules. It certainly will be added to my home games. I wouldn't mind seeing the full thought process, as well, if you don't mind sharing it. I think populating the world with twisted abominations who were once just like the foolish sorcerer is a stroke of genius and really hammers home the flavor of the setting.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Agreed I like it.

Hope we learn more about this and if not put in the rules officially, at least is offered as a variant.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Stainless wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:And +d10 on making corruption a fumble result instead of automatic.
+d30. If corruption is but one of the fumble options, it's still going to happen every now and again and still be flavoursome but not as apparently invasive as it is now. I like this idea better than my Luck check as it generally decreases the amount of rolling.
A bit late to the party, but the issue of corruption was one that bothered me too, and I also favour making it a fumble option.

Colin
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

Rumor has it that each spell will now have their own failure result but we don't know how that coincides with the old corruption rules, yet.
Fabio.MilitoPagliara
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Fabio.MilitoPagliara »

jmucchiello wrote:Rumor has it that each spell will now have their own failure result but we don't know how that coincides with the old corruption rules, yet.
this sounds interesting
in D&D since 1984
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

It has been confirmed. The details are in http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 60&t=17050 but essentially there is are specific misfire and corruption lists for each spell, and now a variable chance for corruption vs. misfire so Cantrips will be less threatening on a natural 1 than Invoke Patron.

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Spells and Magic”