Electrum pieces

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Any feedback that doesn't fit into the categories above.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Malcolm
Ill-Fated Peasant

Electrum pieces

Post by Malcolm »

Electrum is a (naturally-occurring) alloy of gold and silver. It seems odd to have its coins worth 10x as much as gold (p56). I can see characters trying to make a mint out of this...

I suggest it be devalued or its column swapped with gold (if you want to keep a decimal progression).
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Electrum pieces

Post by jmucchiello »

I think removing it is best. How much electrum is traded in Appendix N stories? :)
maasenstodt
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by maasenstodt »

This was an issue in my playtest session yesterday. I'm using The Keep on the Borderlands and found that I was having to juggle some math when the characters were at the tavern to keep things from being priced very strangely.

I too would recommend sticking closer to traditional conventions on electrum value.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I like to stick to copper, silver, and gold piece coins. No need to add a more realistic economic system.

Also, I'd rather have all prices given in silver or copper coins instead of gold. Makes gold seem more valuable. No need to convert prices -- just redefine the old gold as the new silver and go from there. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Playtest Feedback: Other”