DCC RPG Beta at Dead Games Society Rendezvous

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for posting of actual play of DCC RPG. Not necessarily rules questions/discussion, but the saga of your adventures and campaigns, details of adventures that played particularly well (or not), and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

DCC RPG Beta at Dead Games Society Rendezvous

Post by joela »

Ran DCC RPG beta at Dead Gamers Society quarterly Rendezvous at DiceHouse Games. Five players, all experienced in rpg, four experienced in Dungeons and Dragons (all editions). Two have previously played in Joseph Goodman's demos.

Pre-gens 1st level PCs included warrior, (female) dwarf, elf, thief, and cleric. Objective: save the wife and children who'd been kidnapped by gangs from the other-dimensional prison city of Gaxmoor.

Thoughts on the rules:

I ran this adventure free-form even though I had the adventure, RPG Free RPG Day Adventure Starter. Antagonist generation, like the insane sorcerer whom they faced entering the city, was ridiculously easy (initiative modifier, AC, attack bonus, and damage). Unfortunately, they cleaned the floor with him with the dwarf rolling a critical and knocking his summon wand 20' away.

Throwing same number of opponents at PCs (and experienced players) is a losing proposition. Hurl at least double that number.

Mighty Deed of Arms can be badarse in the hands of the right players. In the climatic battle against a rearing demon serpent, the dwarf leaped up, stabbed her dagger into its throat and slid down its underside like a pirate slashing down a sail. I decided to roll a Fort save of DC 15+ to survive the attack and continue combat. I totaled a 14, damnit.

Just to remind the dwarf and warrior players their PCs had the ability.

Players can be VERY creative when facing traps. The elf summoned squirrels(!) to distract a flame-throwing statue. And the 10' pole made a comeback!

Not sure about using percentile dice for thief ability. Module I used had thief rolling against a DC of 15 to pick a lock. WTF?

Chaotic Thief was killed. Lawful cleric tried to heal her but failed (rolled low). I said a symbol of his deity appeared in front of him and gave him a stern talking about aiding the opposition.

Cleric used Divine Aid to get the party and the kidnapped women and children from the temple which was, of course, collapsing around them.

Not too sure on the use of Luck. Some players thought the one-to-one exchange too harsh a penalty. Also, I was confused if one could apply luck modifiers before or after the Action dice were rolled.

Everyone enjoyed the game. We have mixed feelings about the wildly different mechanics for each class: on the one hand, you felt your class was unique compared to the others; on the other hand, some -- specifically, the thief's percentile skills -- felt out of place with the rest of the game. (The default Skills section works fine.)
What do you mean no?
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: DCC RPG Beta at Dead Games Society Rendezvous

Post by meinvt »

joela wrote:Mighty Deed of Arms can be badarse in the hands of the right players. In the climatic battle against a rearing demon serpent, the dwarf leaped up, stabbed her dagger into its throat and slid down its underside like a pirate slashing down a sail. I decided to roll a Fort save of DC 15+ to survive the attack and continue combat. I totaled a 14, damnit.
I'd be careful allowing this sort of move to provoke a "save or die". It strays pretty far into the "MDOA don't allow you to do extra damage" restriction. I would likely have ruled that the warrior scrapped away a line of protective scales, giving the demon a 1 lower armor class for the remainder of the battle.

Just a heads up that once they have a success like this players will try to replicate it more and more.
joela
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by joela »

meinvt wrote:
joela wrote:Mighty Deed of Arms can be badarse in the hands of the right players. In the climatic battle against a rearing demon serpent, the dwarf leaped up, stabbed her dagger into its throat and slid down its underside like a pirate slashing down a sail. I decided to roll a Fort save of DC 15+ to survive the attack and continue combat. I totaled a 14, damnit.
I'd be careful allowing this sort of move to provoke a "save or die". It strays pretty far into the "MDOA don't allow you to do extra damage" restriction. I would likely have ruled that the warrior scrapped away a line of protective scales, giving the demon a 1 lower armor class for the remainder of the battle.

Just a heads up that once they have a success like this players will try to replicate it more and more.
Understood. The game was a one-shot, though, and it was the climatic battle.
What do you mean no?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

joela wrote:Understood. The game was a one-shot, though, and it was the climatic battle.
If the thing was near to death anyway, that's a great way to end it, even if it had HP left... :D Making up rules at it's best!
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Actual Play Reports”