A mini campaign

FORUM LOCKED AS OF 4/3/12. Forum for posting of actual play of DCC RPG. Not necessarily rules questions/discussion, but the saga of your adventures and campaigns, details of adventures that played particularly well (or not), and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

A mini campaign

Post by caveman »

So I'm gonna run the old Necromancer games Grey Citadel module for DCC. I always wanted to run it and my DM is taking a break so... here goes.

Session 1
We played our first Grey Citadel session the other day. Rolled up Lvl 1 characters and had a meet and greet at a road camp. (I had them roll 3d6 in order four times and choose one set. Occupation was rolled randomly. HP is max at 1st lvl. Rolled starting copper as well. The guy who rolled an elf was stoked because he automatically got good armor)
At the travelers camp, the bard Rasputin sang a song of portent and told of Demon attacks in the streets of the city. Then brimstone rolled across the camp and small demons crawled out of cracks in the ground. I rolled randomly and got seven. (I used winged the stats: Dretch 8hp, +2/d4, explodes in a puff of smoked when killed.)
It was a tough fight for a wizard an elf, a thief, and a warrior, but they managed to survive after both the Elf and the Wizard Invoked the favor of their otherworldly patrons. It was demon v demon then with a rain of toads and hellfire. The wizard made contact with an uncaring Prince of Hell, and the Elf went into existential debt for his begging at the door of the Lord of the Mire. The small demons were dying in puffs of paralytic brimstone so that when a final mysterious figure appeared there was only one party member still standing, and he was not about to hail the sinister apparition: a horn-helmed knight astride a lumbering kine-mount. This new-comer shambled off into the mists of night. The party looked after themselves and discovered that a dark stone table inscrutably inscribed lay forgotten on the ground. The bard Rasputin told them that there was a Wizardess in Dun Eamon who might could tell them something of this tablet...
The DCC magic system is crazy. The spells are out there. I wasn't sure how to adjudicate alot of the magic stuff. But each character was able to do its thing and each played differently. The stat burning is a neat mechanic for players to pull out when the chips are down. So far, so good. The thief did a sneak attack and also used Luck to Bluff a demon into letting him Sneak again. The Warrior got mobbed but managed at least one MDOA. The Wizard was fighting with a dagger before he decided to try to Invoke Patron in the middle of the battle. Pure desperation. I let it go forward because of good RP and the current splits in the dimensional seams at that moment. Don't quite know what I'm going to do with a Fire Lord patron though. Oh, and the elf managed to roll a 1 on a d30 and ended up with a forked tongue.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: A mini campaign

Post by bholmes4 »

Sounds like a fun start!
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

bholmes4 wrote:Sounds like a fun start!
I was playing this adventure when my old group broke up. I really liked the mix of roll play in the city and dungeon crawl under. Dun Eamon had a ton of memorable NPC's and the sewers we explored had a good mix of monsters. I wish we had finished it before the split. :(
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
abk108
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by abk108 »

caveman wrote: Don't quite know what I'm going to do with a Fire Lord patron though.
Here you can find here a Patron I wrote that might be what you're looking for:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... ew+patrons
Author of Arcanix RPG - fantasy medieval d6 system
learn more :
http://arcanixrpg.webs.com
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

yeah that stuff is pretty rad. Unfortunately, looks like the game has been delayed...
cnath.rm
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by cnath.rm »

caveman wrote:yeah that stuff is pretty rad. Unfortunately, looks like the game has been delayed...
This is sad. Hopefully you will be able to continue it and tell us more of how it goes. :)
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

New Town, New Group, Take II

Post by caveman »

I ran a level 1 Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG for three friends the other night. I used the Free RPG Day dungeon, Portal Under the Stars. We had two warriors and an elf. I just bought the Vornheim City Kit, so I made use of that quite a bit as well as various random tables I have gleaned off the interwebs. Also, I have a fairly extensive houserule doc that I have been fiddling with a lot.

The "Warlord" of the dungeon became the fabled Elven Barbarian King Ascarious, a terrible and tyranical ruler who fell to the advancing hordes of Danzig the Beastlord a millenia previous. The elf was vaguely familiar with the story. The heroes went directly into the pool room, with one getting blasted by flash of flame. In the pool room they had a weird moment with the strange crystal statues, but were about to leave peacefully when one of the warriors decided to drink from the pool of water. I rolled on a Magic Effects chart from Vornheim, and came up with a black toad vomiting forth. This toad managed to kill the other warrior and propagated itself twice before succumbing to the vagaries of failure.

The other warrior was played by a new player who was sanguine when he died but super stoked when I had him come back as a crystal statue, sharing mental space with a courtesan from long ago. Again, I rolled on some Vornheim charts and came up with Baroness Titania, who was cursed 1000 years ago for the crime of soiling the Holy Waters. Both souls now co-habitate the crystal body. I made the player reroll stats and gave a natural AC of 15 and of course deadly fists.

Finally, the group entered the room of the terracota army and were saved by one epic toss of a javelin across the room, direct hit on the warlord. The treasure room was discovered and the elf gained a patron, Azathoth the Devil's Bannerman.

The Elf made out like a bandit, scoring a mithril longsword, a crystal scrying ball, a patron, and spellbook containing "Burning Hands".

Then everybody caroused for XP. The warrior who was turned into a crystal statue ended up losing all his money but gaining custody of his red-headed stepchild, who speaks in prophecy.

The Warrior who threw the spear now has a Screaming Spear which draws wandering monsters but also does extra damage on a crit.

All in all a great game. I liked the module alot. Next I'm gonna bring the campaign into Vornheim, where I will pursue a long held goal to finally run the old Necromancer super module, The Grey Citadel, now set in Vornheim.
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

Tonight I finally began to DM the Grey Citadel, after years of prep. As it happened, I couldn't even find the actual book on the day, so I had to go by memory and various notes.
The party entered the City (now called Vornheim, the Grey Maze) and witnessed the Parade of the Crimson Brigade wherein they ceremoniously threw a dretch over the falls. They visited the Enchantress's Tower Precarious (the previous adventure was a job for her), found she wasn't home, peeked inside the door, left a note. They tried to get an audience with the Duke, no luck.
They went to the Tavern to find out a bit about the Crimson Brigade. Only the Barbarian was there getting drunk. There were also dwarves without beards and a singing halfling. A trivia game was participated in and the halfling sang a topical song. The thief picked the barbarian's pocket.
Then the demons attacked. The party ran outside to find a small boy and his father beset. The battle was brutal. One fighter went to down to zero hp (no cleric) but the Barbarian burst out of his drunken stupor and helped, gaining a share in the prize money.
Day Two, the party went to the Duke to collect their bounty. They were paid and also offered a charter to be armed in the city if they entered the Tower Precarious to search for the Enchantress. This was all well and good, but the party was still wounded from the previous fight and healing magic was expensive, costing the majority of the prize-money. There was naught left over for carousing. They decided to rest another day, perhaps doing some mild errands such as visiting Ulf the Blacksmith and the Herbalist.

I'm still digging the DCCRPG, though I'm running a very modified version. Warriors kick butt, but are glass canons at 1st level. Wizards are learning to be scared to use their spells and thieves are doing thievery. The crit/fumble charts are good fun. As it should be.

Return to “Actual Play Reports”