Hubris: A World of Visceral Adventure has arrived!

DCC has inspired many folks to produce their own supplements and adventures for the game. This is the place for discussion of all 3PP products for DCC RPG.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

wrathofzombie
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Millennium Games

Hubris: A World of Visceral Adventure has arrived!

Post by wrathofzombie »

I am very excited and happy to announce that Hubris has been released on Drivethrurpg!

A huge thanks to Harley Stroh and Joseph Goodman for their encouragement and support on Hubris as well as the rest of the Dungeon Crawl Classics community!

Here's the link: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/198 ... 0&src=hnum

Hubris is a weird fantasy setting that uses the awesome Dungeon Crawl Classics rules! In this book you will find 10 territories filled with tables and charts to generate interesting locations and encounters, new occupations, 4 new classes, 5 new playable races, 3 new spells, 4 new patrons, including 3 patrons spells for each, 11 new and terrible gods, 14 tables and charts for a GM to use to aid them in their game or create interesting/fun situations, two new adventures to kick off a campaign, and 51 new enemies (including enemies that are unique thanks to random generation). Hubris is hackable! Each territory can be used as the GM wills! Need a desert, swamp, or frozen tundra for your game? Use what's in Hubris!

Campaign Summary

Legend states that Hubris was created from the fetid corpse of a long-dead god. Hubris is a land of terrible creatures, grand inequality, strange and cruel gods, dangerous magic, opulent nobility, destitute commoners, people that have become corrupted and turned to savage beasts, constant wars, and worse.

The kingdoms are not kind or benevolent: In the Blighted Sands the Klind are slavers and openly practice sorcery, offering sacrifices to their depraved serpentine god, Set. Across the continent the Fairweather kingdom is governed by a corrupt and inbred royal family with the nobility following suit. Esenbar is ruled by a staunch xenophobic theocracy that tolerates little outside of their strict doctrine. The barbaric Ingvar of the Frozen Wastes wage vicious battles against the savage frost giants of The Crag, and care little about the goings on of the world; their life is cut from battle with an axe or sword. The Black Queen rules the citizens of the Floating Island of Terror from her throne of bones and dreams terrible machinations for Hubris. Shadowfall, built in the remains of the burrow of a gigantic worm, is ran by vampires and their thralls, and they welcome all who are devious, vicious and cunning.

There are no easily recognizable heroes in the world. You wander the wilderness or delve into ancient ruins: out of desperation, some crazed need for adventure, or for some bizarre belief that the world can actually be made a better place. Though civilization offers you security and comfort, you shirk those in the hopes of gaining riches and power. But when you die, no one will sing songs of your deeds. You will die a horribly bloody death at the hands of some twisted abomination or by the knife of an assassin sent by some fat, scheming noble.

Your epic tale will be forgotten in days as the dangerous world continues on without you and the apathetic masses stay complacent to dogmatic control of their government.

This is not a fairy tale or an epic ballad. This is a savage world. This is Hubris.
yell0w_lantern
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Hubris: A World of Visceral Adventure has arrived!

Post by yell0w_lantern »

I read that this book includes an Alchemist class. How does an Alchemist differ from the standard wizard?

My hope is that it is similar to the Arnesonian magic-using class from D. H. Boggs' Dragons at Dawn. In that system, the magic-user can cast 3 spells as-needed (with a risk of exhaustion) but for everything else needs gold and time between adventures to make things. These can take the form of powders, gases, oils, or other things that the magic user concocts and then carries around to use up when it seems appropriate. The kicker is that you never know if your magical recipe worked until you try to use it and trying to let some other character use your "magic" greatly increases the risk of mishaps.
Arydigital

Post by Arydigital »

I read that this book includes an Alchemist class.
How does an Alchemist differ from the standard wizard?
Last edited by Arydigital on Tue May 15, 2018 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Arydigital wrote:I read that this book includes an Alchemist class. How does an Alchemist differ from the standard wizard?
Alchemists make stuff.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

I picked this up on drivethru recently, and I expected it to arrive by mail (6-8 weeks delivery time!) near the end of November, but it arrived on my front doorstep via USPS on Saturday! Only 2 weeks since I ordered it! Kudos to drivethru & USPS, AND to Mike Evans for a truly weird science/fantasy setting!

I managed to skim a bit from the PDF from drivethru, but now that I have the actual book in hand, I've managed to read a bit here & there, and so far it is great!

The text is well designed, formatted, etc., and the printing & manufactured aspects also seem very high quality.

The subject matter itself is wild and adventurous. The idea of random tables to flesh out territories on a campaign map may or may not be unique or even new, but its the first time I've seen this kind of campaign design, and I love it!

This guarantees that every Hubris campaign will be different from table to table, and jumping from one Judge's campaign into another guarantees that it will be akin to falling through a wormhole and landing in a similar land - with minor and major differences abound!

As it should be!

Can't wait to designing my own Hubris campaign!

Cheers!
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Return to “DCC RPG Third Party Publishers”