Armor Check Penalty and Non-spellcasters Reading Scrolls

For DCC RPG rules discussion. Includes rules questions and ideas, new rules suggestions, homebrews and hacks, conversions to other systems, and everything else rules-related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Kergalli
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Armor Check Penalty and Non-spellcasters Reading Scrolls

Post by Kergalli »

While putting together a few reference sheets for my players, the following questions came up:

1. Does the Check Penalty from certain types of armor modify Reflex saves? The only thing I see is where it says it applies to skill checks or 'other such physical activity'. I am assuming it does not impact melee or ranged attacks.

2. When reading scrolls, do Thieves modify their Cast From Scroll die by the Armor Check Penalty? If so, is this only for Wizard spells, since Cleric spells are not normally hindered by armor?

3. Following that train of thought, if a Wizard reads a scroll containing a Cleric spell, does he roll 1d10 without modifiers to determine the results? Same question applies to Clerics reading Wizard scrolls.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Armor Check Penalty and Non-spellcasters Reading Scrolls

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If the character has an appropriate background, I would consider letting them roll 1d20 for scrolls (i.e., Wizard's Apprentice).

Remember that, in DCC, any character can attempt a spell check with 1d10 -- something Joseph Goodman seems intent on ensuring we all know (based on his excellent modules, anyway! :D ).

Daniel
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
nerdwerds
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by nerdwerds »

Kergalli wrote:2. When reading scrolls, do Thieves modify their Cast From Scroll die by the Armor Check Penalty? If so, is this only for Wizard spells, since Cleric spells are not normally hindered by armor?
I would ignore the armor check penalty for casting from a scroll. I imagine wizards have many gestures and movements that become prohibitive when spellcasting while wearing armor. And yes, I would think the penalty only ever applies to wizards.
"The Shamrock Shake is a frosty, minty symbol of all that we hold dear. It is shameful that we as a people cannot enjoy this proud, symbolic beverage any more than one week a year. Unless the British government loosens its iron grip on this most Irish of shakes, the streets will once again run red with English blood." - Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the IRA's political wing.
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

Kergalli wrote:While putting together a few reference sheets for my players, the following questions came up:

3. Following that train of thought, if a Wizard reads a scroll containing a Cleric spell, does he roll 1d10 without modifiers to determine the results? Same question applies to Clerics reading Wizard scrolls.
As RC said, yes, 1d10. The only thing I'd add is that the Wizard would open himself up to Deity Disapproval from the deity of cleric that wrote the scroll (could be tough to appease a god that one doesn't worship). Likewise, the Cleric would open himself up to Corruption. Trifling with unfamiliar magic should be dangerous...:twisted:
Terry Olson

Return to “Rules discussion”